Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#14930 - 11/27/08 02:09 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
Jake999 Offline

I suppose we have to go to Satanism 101.

So where do we get Satan as a figurehead? Being that LaVey's lineage was Semitic, it made sense that he would go to the traditions from deep within his ancestry. The Hebrew language gives us the word ha-satan, which means The Adversary. Notice that the word isn't capitalized. The reason for this is that ha-satan was a position...not a diety...he was The Adversary (or prosecutor) in Jewish courts.

An example is that Jesus would have been questioned by the ha-satan of the court of the Sanhedron, who would be an officer of the court who was adversarial to him in accusation of his crimes. "As above, so below." If one researches the duties of the Angels in Heaven, we see that Satan was doing this all along. He served as The Adversary in disputes before God. But linguistically, ha-satan can refer to anyone who may withstand you, as an enemy or oppressor or rebel or accuser.

Interestingly, there are the passages in which it is God who raises up a ha-satan. Two of the rebels who opposed Solomon in the later years of his reign are called ha-satan (adversaries) sent against Solomon by God. 1 Kings 11:14, 23. And in the story of Balaam and the donkey, the angel of the LORD is called "ha-satan" Numbers: 22:22,32

So basically, SATAN, as chosen by the Church of Satan equates to the ha-satan, but symbolism plays as much part in the Church of Satan as it would in any religion or philosophy, so the ha-satan was elevated to Satan...the position of the Angel in Heaven, representing as the Adversary to the status quo. It was a rejection of all that people saw as TRUTH based on divine authority and a challenge for man to be the determining force in his own destiny.

I suppose LaVey could have named the Church of Satan the Magical Circle from the group from which it sprang. He could have called it LaVeyanism...he could have called it anything. But the impact of SATAN on a society that was cowed by religion was meant to shake the masses from their somatized state. This was something that was unheard of and could not be ignored. It was saying to the world, "NO MORE. We will not bow down." In words clear enough for them to understand."

#14931 - 11/27/08 02:20 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

First let me mention that you might be somewhat confused. This is not the Laveyan-puritan defense squad. Most here I interact with walk the LHP and it's been ages since I've seen a pure Laveyan here. I'd throw tomatos on them.
What they do at the CoS I wouldn't know. It has been ages since I checked letters and even if they nowadays dance around in pink tutus, I would not be bothered.

Second, please stop this egalitarian bullshit. It's not because every monkey out there can slap a label on his drivel that everyone needs to be open and tolerant about it. Even when a zillion screaming teens proclaim it as truth doesn't make it any better or more interesting, sane, rational or non-disgustable. Joy of Satan is the Joke of Satanism, end of story. They're not the only one, the web is filled by bottomfeeders that stoop things down that far until things reach their requirements or rather incompetence. 95% of the satanists out there wouldn't know what the LHP was even if you rubbed them with their nose on its concrete.
If I decide to call them idiots and not satanic at all, I will do so. And the first cry-baby that stumbles across complaining they are also satanic and should be accepted as such should be shot on spot. That cry-baby obviously doesn't have a clue at all else he wouldn't get on the barricades for something not even worth wasting words upon.

I personally don't care how long the word Satanism existed, there was no organized Satanism before Lavey. Nothing worth calling Satanism and nothing in touch with what Satanism is about. You can drag some old demi-cow out of whatever lore and hypothesise that his followers would have been something like a satanist but it's nothing but an assumption. I never up to today had anyone being able to provide the evidence.

And if JoS is racists, doesn't like Jews or boycot the import of Chinese toys, I can't give a damn. They are idiots to start with so all the rest is of no relevance. An idiot good at playing the piano or lousy at cooking a meal still is an idiot. Details don't change that.

D.

#14935 - 11/27/08 03:30 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Jake999]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Yeah, calling it the Church of Satan was a damn smart move in that period. You can say a lot of things about Lavey but he sure did know how to wrap the package. I doubt he'd use the same label in this era but I don't think we can come up with a more powerful PR-label. Even if it doesn't have the potential it had half a decade ago.

Lavey invented the form, sure he borrowed here and there -as we all do- but what he came up with was rather unique.

D.

#14936 - 11/27/08 03:37 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Diavolo]
Jake999 Offline

I doubt if he would too. He was a believer in "creative blasphemy." Back in the mid 60's in America, a guy with a Church of Satan was world news. They went through the whole pranking stage, being visible, being brash. It pushed buttons, but the 60's were a fairly puritanical time for most of America. Someone targetting Christian ideals then was shocking.

Today, I think P.J. O'Rourke said it best, "Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."

#14939 - 11/27/08 03:53 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Cumulus whatever,

I almost took the time to dissect your post and show you to be a complete idiot, then it dawned on me that I could not possibly do it any better than you already have.

You aren't smart enough to be here, you don't ,can't, and will never get it.

Return henceforth to your fold, sheepie.

#14941 - 11/27/08 04:11 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Dan_Dread]
Cumulus Magus Offline
stranger

Loc: Bronx, New York
Truth hurts doesn't it? lol

#14942 - 11/27/08 04:26 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Jake999]
Cumulus Magus Offline
stranger

Sorry but your going according to the bible, which I find fictitous and not the origin of satan which wasn't originally called satan but had many names before your hebrew book of lies!

#14943 - 11/27/08 04:42 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
 Quote:
We created? thats funny how "joiners" call themselves "creators"

It doesn't matter if you see us all as joiners. The truth is still in Jakes words. Just because someone "joins" does not mean that they can't make some kind of contribution or a change in the "normalcy" of things.

Quote:
dont you mean what LaVey created?

Jus because the man made it formal and gave the religion recognition from others doesn't mean he was the creator and that his word is final. Yes he started the CoS but if you do a little more research you will find that a lot of the philosophies laid down in the Satanic Bible were borrowed philosophies from others.

Quote:
If someone wants to believe in a literal Satan or not, who cares? why is it so threatening to LaVey satanist? Sorry but once again, Church of Satan does not have a monopoly on Satanism, satan nor the baphomet!

No one is disputing that, or saying that just because they believe different then us they are wrong. I atleast don't give two shits about what another person decides to believe as long as it isn't shoved in my face. I find the beliefs foolish, so if I don't support them why does it matter? It is my opinion and others opinions we are all entitled to them. While the CoS doesn't have a monopoly it does have the advantage. I say so because it seems to be the most recognized satanic "sect".

~ THE RINGMASTER ~

#14945 - 11/27/08 04:48 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Diavolo]
Cumulus Magus Offline
stranger

egalitarian bullshit? lol You must be confusing me with someone that gives a crap. I can care less, I'm simply pointing out some facts, I dont care about you accepting anything. You can attack JoS or CoS or defend them, its all the same to me. Let me conclude by saying the following, different forms of satanist sects will exist and will continue to come into existence whether you people like it or not, so just accept it, for no debating within this forum will ever change that fact!

#14946 - 11/27/08 04:52 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Ringmaster]
Cumulus Magus Offline
stranger

Wow finally someone with a smart reply, well sir,
I agree with what you just said 100%, thank you for your thoughts!

Hail Satan!

#14947 - 11/27/08 04:58 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the same baby that a couple of replies ago was complaining about people monopolizing Satanism? Smells egalitarian to me. Oh no, they can't monopolize Satanism because there are many many other different sects and they are satanists too. Smells very egalitarian, not to mention a serious lack of insight of what qualifies as Satanism or not. So we just have to accept it because we can't do a thing about it? Defeatism anyone?

So please don't give me the giving no crap routine. You do give a lot of crap.

D.

#14949 - 11/27/08 05:04 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Diavolo]
Cumulus Magus Offline
stranger

As a Libertarian, I bitch about monopolies because I support competition! Something egalitarians dont like! I accuse CoS of "attempting to have a monopoly on Satanism", something they will lose every time, for there are no laws to prevent people from creating new sects of Satanism! HA!

#14950 - 11/27/08 05:20 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
What is wrong with a monopoly on something such as this? Isn't it showing that "hey we were able to make a killing!" It just shows that the company was better then all of it's competitors.

Quote:
for there are no laws to prevent people from creating new sects of satanism! HA!

Such immaturity. LOL I was expecting someone of your age to be well a little more mature. Yes there are no laws preventing this but as you can see a lot of people find it to be utter nonsense. Also take a look and the followers, mindless herd conformists. They believe so blindly that they are right with no outright proof or logic to back them up (I am speaking about the JOS in particular.) Is it now all of a sudden wrong to challenge the thoughts and beliefs of others in search of logic and reasoning that we are unaware of. It is always wise to question something because blind aknowledgment in something will oft lead to someone's downfall in the search for knowledge.

#14951 - 11/27/08 05:20 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Ok, how to make you get it.

There is indeed no law to hinder every numbnut from creating his degenerated special kind of alien elitism and sadly, it doesn't hurt either. If, the internet would be a long cry of pain. If it was up to me, there was a law and they would be forced to print their personal info right next to their 2cent site. Deathsquads could go and exterminate the intellectual vermin according their position on the scale of intelligence.

Now egalitarian would be when one would see all those works of art and all those wise words carefully written down by apparantly people of great genius, when one would see them as Satanism. It's not because someone slaps Satanism on something that it is Satanism and therefor should be recognized as Satanism. It has nothing to do with competition because on the LHP there is no competition. Who are you going to compete with when all that matters is your own path?
Out of the great memeplex that Satanism is, people can pick out what they prefer but once you start borrowing or importing stuff out of that memeplex, it fails to be satanic. Even when a baphomet is glued upon it and the word SATAN is used.

In the views of an outsider they might all appear to be Satanism but the views of an outsider are irrelevant. The insider is what matters and they don't need to be tolerant and accepting. They can claim there is only one sort of Satanism and seriously, there is only one.

D.

#14952 - 11/27/08 05:27 PM Re: Joy of Satan [Re: Cumulus Magus]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Create all you want. They can pop up a new one each day. No one is denying that fact. The fact is, they can't pass the sniff test. If it looks like shit, and it smells like shit, then it is shit. That is a fact. You can wrap it up in fancy paper and put a pretty little ribbon on top, but you are only covering up a box of shit.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.