Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#23937 - 04/30/09 10:10 PM Re: Salo - 120 days in sodom [Re: Diavolo]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
i kind of like these figures! and i'd like that blue chair in my living room. thanks for introducing me to a new artist!
"baise-moi" means fuck me, you must have known what you were in for....
shortbus also has real sex.

#23946 - 05/01/09 04:13 AM Re: Salo - 120 days in sodom [Re: miriam]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Actually baiser is kissing in French, so I wrongfully assumed it was "kiss me" at that time. I know, my French could be better but I prefer to invest my energy in languages I use more often, and limit French to a survival level; "three beers and that there" tends to keep you going on for ages. My actual skills, of course, being a bit better but you know what I mean.

Jeff Koons is interesting, he tend to take camp to the next level and maybe because it reflects part of this era, it tends to transcend camp. The statue being the perfect translation of how I see current days, is a work of the hyperrealist Duane Hanson, an amazing sculptor.

Millions of years of evolution and this is where we are right now:

D.

#23961 - 05/01/09 05:14 PM Re: Salo - 120 days in sodom [Re: Diavolo]
miriam Offline
pledge

yes, baiser is the verb "to kiss." for instance, if i said "je baise mon chien sur la bouche" i'd be saying i kiss my dog on the mouth. but "baise-moi" is a vulgar idiom that means fuck me. it's a funny story to me, quite endearing.

i had a german friend who, as an exchange student, asked a girl (in september) if she was "a virgin, too?" virgo and virgin are the same in german.
i also asked for a "hunde tasche" while in a german restaurant: this roughly translated to "may i please have a purse made out of a dog?" needless to say, i didn't get my doggie bag....

i'm liking koons a lot. i know so little about visual art. i've never heard of hanson, i'm going to look him up.

#23964 - 05/01/09 05:45 PM Re: Salo - 120 days in sodom [Re: miriam]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

We can't invest all our time in everything. Life is about choices. That's why I know too little about music. Although I do like music, I strangely enough do like silence even more. Not an easy task in the days where noise rules the world.

If you like modern sculpting, not only check Hanson, also check:

Ron Mueck

and
Maurizio Cattelan

Cattelan is quite funny in some of his works, look for his "ninth hour" (La Nona Ora) which is a good laugh. A couple years ago he had a piece called "hanged children" that affected someone that much he cut them loose. Who said art doesn't touch people.

I know I'm hijacking this thread but if someone prefers, he can put it right back on track.

D.

#23969 - 05/01/09 07:27 PM Re: Salo - 120 days in sodom [Re: Diavolo]
miriam Offline
pledge

"hanged children" is definitely resonating with me. all these works are hyper-realistic. if i didn't know better i'd think the children were real. it's unnerving, really.

but i like that. i enjoy being disturbed. if i'm not deeply affected by it, i'm just not interested.

as for music, the way one plays the silence is key.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.