Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#52965 - 04/14/11 08:26 PM Satanism: A taste for the dark side
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
Satanism:
A TASTE FOR THE DARK SIDE
by Richard G. Howe

I found this pdf article, printed originally in 2005. Written for the Christian Research Institute. It starts out by describing TSB and LaVey to the Christian Laymen. One who would be not familiar in the ways of the LHP or Satanism. It even mentioned Mr Aquino.

I liked how they made an open minded comparison of the differences between the ToS and CoS.

What I didn't agree with was how the hypothesized "indulgence" was not the same as "happiness" and Satanists, particularly young ones were walking a path with no rules or regard for safety. As I understand Satanism, and what I have learned in my short time learning about how to be true to my nature, the Satanist strives to improve themselves. Indulgence should be weighed against the benefits it would provide. Gluttony, eating till you are more then full. I eat what I want, but am careful of the type of foods I overindulging in. Veggies are fine. I dont eat chocolate all day, or I would be a walking land mass, which goes against the aesthetics Satanism holds dear.

It just appeared to me Christians, and those who dont know what Satanism is, or what Anton LaVey tried to explain in TSB meant by indulgence. Trying to enjoy ones life to the fullest. But in doing so, didnt lose sight of the bigger goal of self improvement. Young, and highly disenchanted youth trying out occult or Satanic practices to rebel dont have the grasp which the philosophy tries to convey to the blossoming Satanic spirit.

Long before I found what Satanism offered, I was already leading a rather carnal existence. I'd like to think the TSB simply gave me a better benchmark and challenge to strive towards.

Part of the challenge of Satanists as a whole, regardless of whether or not we exist as an organized entity is to get those kind of points across which is we strive for personal perfection. Indulgence isnt a flaw in the core philosophy of Satanism. It is something to be enjoyed on the road to better self awareness, improvement, and enjoying ones time on Earth.

The biggest benefit we enjoy now, before the internet is the ability to reach out and hear different points of view at the click of a button. It doesnt have to be a community per se. But we shouldn't shun the idea we can learn from one another. Comparison might also make it healthy, as it makes us try even harder to learn and grow. Intellectual competition isn't a bad thing.

Ghost
SATANISM: A TASTE FOR THE DARK SIDE

#52973 - 04/15/11 03:07 AM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: Ghostly1]
Shaytan Offline
stranger

The Satanists strive to improve themsevles ?
A Satanist does what comes naturally to him. Eat chocolate all the day is more Satanic than forcing yourself to accomplish something you find hard.

"In the future Age of Satan, pride in accomplishment will emerge out of wholesale indolence." May/June Cloven Hoof 1972, Working at Having Fun , Anton LaVey.

So "challenge to strive towards" in Satanism is just bullshit. LaVey called people do this, Masochists.

"A person devoid of special ability must work harder to becom "special," wich often results in an abrasive pretence of infallibility." p.64, The Devil's Notebook , Anton LaVey.

Sorry for my english ;\)

Edited by Shaytan (04/15/11 03:08 AM)

#52986 - 04/15/11 09:30 AM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: Shaytan]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Quote:
Eat chocolate all the day is more Satanic than forcing yourself to accomplish something you find hard.

I couldn't disagree more. You don't take up the banner of ultimate adversarial transgression merely to use it as an excuse to overeat. In that case you'd be better off pretending to be an average Joe- or a Christian, so at least you'd have an excuse when the Wytchfynder-Generall comes knocking on your door.

I would argue that Satanism- or the Left Hand Path, at least- strives for progress and personal evolution. Enjoying the pleasures of life without guilt is only one aspect to the Sinister approach-- there is more. Never stop studying. Engage in a variety world experiences. Excel in whatever arts and disciplines you can. And above all, challenge your own ideas and boundaries with vigor lest they coagulate into dogma.

We are all masochists to some extent; suffering in the short term to reap the benefits of the long. It's just a matter of how far you're willing to go.

#52991 - 04/15/11 11:05 AM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: The Zebu]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Masochism is the essential trait enabling anyone with a mind set in reality to even keep living. Everything you enjoy, accomplish or work towards will be slowly taken from you. Your brain and body are on a path towards decay and if we weren't masochists, gladly accepting any inconvenience life brings as a price for those amusing but quite fleeting moments in between, we'd bail out quite fast.

The LHP is one where the arrow always points forward, always drives one to be more or better, to improve, to use effort to create change, knowing quite well, we're merely trying to sculpt ice into a work of art during the last days of winter.

D.

#53006 - 04/15/11 05:38 PM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: Shaytan]
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
No one is born an expert in anything. To believe so is absurd, and only makes you look foolish. Anything worth having, is worth working towards.

I doubt knowing everything there is to know about Satanism, would be a gift you would possess. Even Anton took years of study, and observance of people to allow him to write the Satanic Bible.

It is also fair to say no one is perfect. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. If you truly feel you have nothing to learn, then you are an idiot. And I would say so face to face. Despite my 36 years on Earth, I know I can do better. Just doing what comes naturally, if left to your devices having never learned anything you would die. Some humility, when faced with the claim of knowing it all, should be exercised. Especially someone who isn't finished learning what life has prepared for him at the age of 23.

No one said I personally was "striving to be Satanic".

"Satanism demands study".

Why aren't you studying?

Ghost

#53007 - 04/15/11 05:54 PM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: Shaytan]
Hegesias Offline

Self discipline—turn your aggression inward and issue commands of your will. You can overcome petty urges to indulge, would you not walk the warrior path and achieve self mastery through the triumph of the will.

What is self is not necessarily a gluttonous ego. To eat chocolate all day or indulge in comforts, sitting fat and bloated very much pleased with itself, the ego shining so proudly and so fat that it cast a shadow over the persons potentiality.

#53023 - 04/16/11 04:19 AM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: Ghostly1]
Shaytan Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Ghostly1
No one is born an expert in anything. To believe so is absurd, and only makes you look foolish. Anything worth having, is worth working towards.

I doubt knowing everything there is to know about Satanism, would be a gift you would possess. Even Anton took years of study, and observance of people to allow him to write the Satanic Bible.

It is also fair to say no one is perfect. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. If you truly feel you have nothing to learn, then you are an idiot. And I would say so face to face. Despite my 36 years on Earth, I know I can do better. Just doing what comes naturally, if left to your devices having never learned anything you would die. Some humility, when faced with the claim of knowing it all, should be exercised. Especially someone who isn't finished learning what life has prepared for him at the age of 23.

No one said I personally was "striving to be Satanic".

"Satanism demands study".

Why aren't you studying?

Ghost

I'm studying sir. I'm in my third year in a french faculty of "lettres modernes". I do this because it's an indulgence. I'm not a compusive perfect student who do it because I must.

I don't care about the love of studying, things come to me naturally, discipline for me is just fun.

On an another side I write for a french fanzyne on Satanism called "Diableries". I have a serious blog about Stratification and socials analysis: http://www.derringohneworte.blogspot.com
I write poetry and short story.

For the common people I am certainly a overworker but all of this is just indulgence.

Edited by Shaytan (04/16/11 04:22 AM)

#53065 - 04/17/11 12:35 AM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: The Zebu]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: The Zebu
 Quote:
Eat chocolate all the day is more Satanic than forcing yourself to accomplish something you find hard.

I couldn't disagree more. You don't take up the banner of ultimate adversarial transgression merely to use it as an excuse to overeat...I would argue that Satanism- or the Left Hand Path, at least- strives for progress and personal evolution. Enjoying the pleasures of life without guilt is only one aspect to the Sinister approach-- there is more. Never stop studying. Engage in a variety world experiences. Excel in whatever arts and disciplines you can. And above all, challenge your own ideas and boundaries with vigor lest they coagulate into dogma.

We are all masochists to some extent; suffering in the short term to reap the benefits of the long. It's just a matter of how far you're willing to go.

^^THIS.

Nobody needs a philosophy or religion to plow through a jumbo bag of Cheetos, and it's pretentious to invoke an ideology as justification for indulgence.

The way I see it, abstinence should serve a purpose. Where the RHP goes wrong is in touting abstinence as a virtue in and of itself. Abstinence should be a means to an ends.

#53071 - 04/17/11 11:53 AM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: Shaytan]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Originally Posted By: Shaytan
I do this because it's an indulgence. I'm not a compusive perfect student who do it because I must.

I don't care about the love of studying, things come to me naturally, discipline for me is just fun.

I understand what you are getting at, at least if you imply that all you do, all effort you put into it, serves your goals and in that, brings pleasure. You don't do it because it is how it should be done, or because they, whoever or whatever that might be, expect it from you.

But that also implies, occasionally, doing that which brings little pleasure, or none at all, because it is a necessary step to reach that goal. Not all comes natural to anyone and often being lazy is more tempting than overcoming that very desire, and doing what needs to be done.

Not every moment in our life is an explosion of pleasure and if we didn't have those completely opposite to it, pleasure would quickly lose all meaning.

D.

#53846 - 05/01/11 10:36 PM Re: Satanism: A taste for the dark side [Re: Ghostly1]
StarlessAeon Offline
stranger

People tend to forget the chapter in TSB that goes into detail about this. Indulgence NOT compulsion.

Ultimately it is up to the individual to do as he/she pleases. But self-preservation should be the balancing factor that maintains self-control. Responsibility to the responsible.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.