Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#53949 - 05/04/11 08:25 PM Academic Survey for ONA Satanists
SinisterMoon Offline

Loc: Florida

There's a new survey questionnaire about Satanism by academic James Lewis of the University of Tromsø, specially designed for Order of Nine Angles people, at

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/o9a

This survey compliments the Satan Survey SS3 which is at

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GC2RHKF

#54627 - 05/17/11 09:07 PM Re: Academic Survey for ONA Satanists [Re: SinisterMoon]
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
As a side note, Letters To The Devil, or CoS's forum have posted essays belittling the author of the surveys stating they are for informational purposes to measure the scope and spread of Satanism and would be used to control us.

It was stated that anyone who takes this survey or any other will be kicked out of the church and the forum. I think that's sort of cultish. Why would Satanists of any scope care about what other Satanists do, or say.... if it doesnt directly affect anyone?

I think its non-Satanic to show that kind of fear, over something trivial (to me).

#54631 - 05/17/11 09:55 PM Re: Academic Survey for ONA Satanists [Re: Ghostly1]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

That behavior is typical of LttD. Which I why I never post there. Unless I get bored and want to see how long it takes me to get banned just for displaying an opinion that differs from theirs.

#54639 - 05/18/11 12:48 AM Re: Academic Survey for ONA Satanists [Re: Ghostly1]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I believe they feel threatened by such surveys because they don't like being reminded that not everyone thinks the same way they do.

I think Satanism should be less public and more undefined too, but the CoS are the LAST people that should complain about that sort of thing.

The creation of an ONA survey is an interesting turn of events, as it recognizes that they are one of the most (if not THE most) coherent Satanic group outside of the CoS-LaVey mold and the vague 'independent' nebula that floats about them. (The ToS, despite their ideological novelty, don't really count, because at the end of the week they get their checks from Set, not the Man Downstairs).

#54644 - 05/18/11 03:01 AM Re: Academic Survey for ONA Satanists [Re: The Zebu]
SinisterMoon Offline

Loc: Florida
 Originally Posted By: The Zebu
The creation of an ONA survey is an interesting turn of events

Agreed. Seems so many ONA people replied to the other general Satan survey that James Lewis was curious as to how they differed from other Satanists. According to my info, the ONA respondents were older, and seemed to show that the ONA had a greater percentage of both women and of those who had a positive attitude toward neo-nazism.

As for the response of the CoS guy. He - like some others - is rather silly in believing it's "designed to track and monitor" Satanists. In fact, IP addresses aren't directly logged and so aren't available to the person doing the survey, tho' no doubt they'll be logged somewhere on the surverymonkey server and so available to good hackers, and gov agencies who have a subpoena. Which is to say, the norm for internet traffic.

So I guess the guy and those like him don't know about or don't bother to use Tor or other anonymising software. Or just aren't aware of how the internet functions.

The guy is also concerned about the "habits" of Satanists being made public. As if most people - or gov agencies - are bothered by or interested in the 'habits' of a mostly (apart from the ONA) law-abiding minority with (according to them) some weird beliefs. But it's understandable why some academics and maybe even some of *us* would be interested - scientific curiosity, which isn't a bad thing.

Also, despite the limitations and flaws of the survey - some of which have been discussed here on the Lewis Satan Survey thread - it might help some folks get a more balanced overview of Satanism in general and especially the diversity of Satanism itself and those involved with it. Which also IMO isn't such a bad thing.

#54657 - 05/18/11 11:26 AM Re: Academic Survey for ONA Satanists [Re: SinisterMoon]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Oh noes, the academics are going to control us. We're doomed I tell ya, doomed.

The CoS is scared it might be revealed that, contrary to their claims, they're no longer King of the hill and that a large part of the satanists goes into their own direction, which is not necessarily theirs. And of course after decades of being seen by society as the “scary” kid on the block, compared to others these days, they appear very very tame.

The biggest limitation of the survey shows when you compare it to a witness of a murder. While he can correctly provide all the information regarding race, height, weight, weaponry and such, what he never knows is the true why. He looks at the “outside” of what happened and has no access to the “inside”. That's the same problem all research of subjects like these run into.

D.

#54678 - 05/18/11 08:53 PM Re: Academic Survey for ONA Satanists [Re: Diavolo]
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
"If you are contacted or approached by any person who asks you to complete a "Questionnaire" called "The Satan Census" ... please refrain from participating in it. A "Census" is designed to track and monitor habits of a specific type of person (in this case Satanists). If you really think about it, do you want to be tracked and monitored? Would you really want the "habits" of Satanists around the world available in a public document that anyone can access, and I mean anyone!

If you find anyone on any "Satannet" site asking you to take this Census questionnaire send me the profile name so I can deal with it quickly. I will not allow spamming on either the Undercorft or LttD. Also do not re-post links or anything pointed to this questionnaire, we do not want to give it any added attention.

Thank you!

From Hell,

Magister Frost"

I looked for the post which specified what I talked about. A CoS Magister, obviously told to curtail, and stop any members from participating, but Im sure some did already.

If Satanists are anyone to rebel, I think this will make more of them take the survey, or at least look at it and question the rationale behind the ban. After all, there are former CoS members here, and they left for various reasons, so not all CoS drones are idiots being led by the nose and this might be something for them to consider.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.