Page 12 of 15 « First<1011121314>Last »
Topic Options
#12696 - 10/15/08 01:19 PM Re: Music [Re: belphegore]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
Thanks for the tip on frostwire Belphegore. Im going to check it out know.
Anyone use SoulSeek? So far i have found it to be the best. Specialy for the underground metal bands.

#15854 - 12/09/08 11:48 PM Re: Music [Re: Vincent 13]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Originally Posted By: Vincent 13
The new Nine Inch Nails is in my opinion the best album of the year. I have been a fan since I was 13. There will never be another music genius like Trent Reznor

Firstly, I want to mention that this is not meant as a personal attack against you or your musical tastes.

Secondly: Reznor, a musical genius? There will never be another like him?

I am a huge black/death/doom metal fan, as well as 70s rock like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and the like. That being said, can we say that ANY of these bands or "artists" (and I use the term VERY loosely, a term which is, by the way, bandied about a little too freely these days) are musical "geniuses" on the same level as say Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Wagner, Mahler, Debussy, and Shostakovich, to name a few? Of those mentioned above, two of them (Mozart and Shostakovich) had what is called absolute or "perfect" pitch, which means that they could hear distinct pitches and could identify them automatically, without the aid of an instrument; this is an instantaneous reaction. As a result, they could compose ENTIRE symphonies IN THEIR HEADS (and hear them, in minute detail, down to the instrumentation and the varying timbres that the different orhestral choirs produce), and then write them out directly in full score. The latter half of Beethoven's oeuvre was composed after he went deaf. THAT is musical genius. I probably know what you are thinking; you are probably thinking that, because absolute pitch is an ability that someone is born with, that they somehow have an unfair advantage over someone who is not born so lucky. Moreover, you are probably thinking that people who had training either with an established composer or music teacher, or in a conservatory or music school, they are somehow less remarkable than DIY musicians like Reznor and, frankly, the majority of rock and metal musicians (though I could name some very notable exceptions of popular musicians who have had training and who are excellent musicians, as well as those who have had no training at all and are very capable musicians) Needless to say, this is an ass backwards way of thinking that is, unfortunately, embraced by far too many people.

There will never be another genius like Reznor? There have been many before, there are many living currently, and there will be many more after Reznor's bones have turned to dust.

Can "Head Like A Hole" really stand up to a Chopin Nocturne? Can "Nevermind" match the sublimity of a Shostakovich or Beethoven symphony? Is Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales" equal to ANY Wagner opera? A resounding "FUCK NO!", please. This is not a matter of personal taste, it is pure and simple FACT.

This has been a message from Draculesti. We now return to your regularly scheduled idiocy.

Homo Homini Lupus

#17248 - 12/30/08 11:52 PM Re: Music [Re: Draculesti]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Just veering off the topic of Trent, sorry hope you don't mind.
Regarding musical genius however, I have to say that I agree with your post Draculesti.

Has anyone got their hands on Metallica's "Death Magnetic" Album yet? I've always loved them, but I've got to say that I think this one ranks as as one of their best efforts yet.

Anyone else out there into Metallica's latest, or am I the only Bogan on this forum? LOL!

#17278 - 12/31/08 02:57 AM Re: Music [Re: spiderbreeder]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Soul Seek is the best music-sharing program I've ever used. You can find virtually anything with it.

As far as Metallica goes, I must say that their latest album was terrible (especially the atrocious sound-mastering job), and that everything after Master of Puppets got progressively worse.

BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION GUYS, SEE HOW I QUALIFY MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT TO MAKE IT SEEM LESS CONFRONTATIONAL?

#18310 - 01/16/09 02:21 PM Re: Music [Re: spiderbreeder]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

I thank you, Spider-Breeder, for your reply, although I must say that you don't have to agree with me, and it would be interesting to hear your own views (and that goes for anyone else as well; we could do with some serious musical discussion of serious music, not that I mind talking about popular music as well).

As far as Metallica is concerned, I tortured myself with the first few songs from St. Anger before I could no longer bear it; I didn't really care to repeat the experience with the latest steaming pile (I'm not much for masochism). I think I heard one piece of musical excrement culled from the latest collective dung-heap, and I am fairly certain that it is representative of the whole; you can separate the corn from the turd, but what you're still left with is waste.

The post-Puppets/...And Justice for All Metallica is akin to an old man suffering from Alzheimers; a pitiful shadow of their former glory that gets progressively worse toward a slow, horrible death.

I know this seems rather scathing, and you would be right to say so. I just can't stand them anymore. It's so painful to watch, in truth. In this case, it really is true what they say: "It's better to burn out than fade away." Perhaps it seems fickle as well, but I am not one of those music fans who believes that once you like a band, no matter what kind of musical atrocities they commit, you MUST remain faithful (unless you really like the albums that are atrocious by consensus; in fact, I can think of a few unpopular albums that I like by certain bands that are almost universally held to be the particular bands' worst effort: Mayhem's "Grand Declaration of War" [with the exception of a few tracks, it is really a fine album, in my opinion], My Dying Bride's "34.888% Complete" [all but one track, "Heroin Chic"] to name a couple examples). Nor am I one of those fans on the opposite end of the spectrum who believes that a band cannot change; change is good, if it is change in the right direction, for the right reasons. Change for the mere sake of change is not necessarily a viable reason. I have found that bands who change are able to hold onto their old fanbase as well as gain a new one by making their change gradually, instead of making a very abrupt one; they ease their fans into the change, so that it doesn't seem like such a big deal. Furthermore, after their change, they still create good music, because they are not trying to desperately win back old alienated fans with an unnatural approach to songwriting, which is what I feel Metallica is doing with these latest efforts.

P.S. What exactly is a "Bogan"?

Edited by Draculesti (01/16/09 02:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Accidentally clicked the submit button before I was finished

Homo Homini Lupus

#18311 - 01/16/09 02:33 PM Re: Music [Re: Draculesti]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I would have to agree with those statements. My roomate purchased St. Anger when it came out, we listened to the entire thing and then promptly destroyed it. I have heard one song off their new album and it does not sound promising at all. Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning were their best albums, IMO.

edit: I just realized I had the honor of making the 666th post in this section. That calls for a beer. Although I have none, so coffee will have to suffice.

Edited by 6Satan6Archist6 (01/16/09 02:34 PM)

#18396 - 01/18/09 07:04 AM Re: Music [Re: Draculesti]
spiderbreeder Offline

"What exactly is a Bogan"

You must come on down to the Land of Oz ( preferably a nice little place called Campbelltown) and savour the undiluted essence of pure Bogandom.

V8 utes. Flanelette shirts, stonewashed jeans, an endless supply of Victoria Bitter(preferred beer), and of course...Metallica.

I happen to like the album, it's much better than St Anger in my book.

And your right in saying I don't have to agree with you- your former post made a lot of sense, but the latter was a bit of a giggle- how can you palm an entire album off as the "latest steaming pile" when you've only heard one "Piece of musical excretement"from it?

Thankyou for your reply, and your lenghly dissection on the crappiness of Metallica...

I stand firm, I think their great!

Bogan out.... ;\)

#18458 - 01/19/09 06:43 PM Re: Music [Re: spiderbreeder]
Damis Offline
pledge

Loc: England
To reply to the original post, my favourite album by NIN, is Year Zero, capital G being my particular favourite track.

#18506 - 01/20/09 02:22 PM Re: Music [Re: spiderbreeder]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

You have every right to like the contentious albums by Metallica. Music, after all, in terms of aesthetics, is mostly personal taste. I don't know if you are a musician, but I am, and so my opinions are formed from the viewpoint of both musician and music lover (you can't be a musician if you don't love music, though you can be a music lover and not be a musician).

From the viewpoint of a musician, the musical choices of a band will significantly affect my opinion of their output. Therefore, I may seem, at times, a bit more critical than your average music listener.

Quote:
how can you palm an entire album off as the "latest steaming pile" when you've only heard one "Piece of musical excretement"from it?

Let's chalk it up to their track record. Now, I'm not necessarily prescient, but after only having heard a few tracks from "St. Anger", I was fairly confident that what would follow would be more of the same. Perhaps only hearing one track is not giving the album a fair chance, but I have more or less 0% interest in finding out any further.

I have never been to Australia, but I've always wanted to go. Perhaps I shall make it down there some day and immerse myself in the "boganness" of the area (the beer in particular sounds enticing).

Homo Homini Lupus

#18568 - 01/21/09 10:30 PM Re: Music [Re: Draculesti]
spiderbreeder Offline

I'm a Drummer, so I guess what is abrasive to a lot of people can be totally exhilarating for me to listen to- don't get me wrong, melody is important to me as well, it's the part that gives me goosebumps, and tugs at my less primal emotions, but I guess I'm abit biased in that I totally LOVE Lars Ulrich's drumming, and that probably causes all the finer points of the album that could be justly critisized to fade into insignificance for me!

Let me know if you ever make it down here...

I'll take you on a beer soaked Bogan-tour that you will never forget, and I won't taint your experience with Metallica, I promise.

I'll play AC/DC's "Black Ice" for you instead!

#18572 - 01/21/09 11:45 PM Re: Music [Re: spiderbreeder]
Jake999 Offline

Come to me Spiderbreeder! We'll lie naked on a bed of mayonaise covered lettuce and harken to the sounds of Gene Krupa, Cozy Cole, Neil Peart, John Bonnaham, Ian Palce, David Garibaldi and a thousand others as they drum us into oblivion, performing on the backs of a thousand guitarists, an organ grinder named Luigi (while his monkey plays a set of Trixon Thunderbeats), and a woman playing an keytar to the tune of Smoke on the Water.

#18575 - 01/21/09 11:59 PM Re: Music [Re: Jake999]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Don't forget Tito Puente, among others... if you want that "south of the border" kinda thing goin' on... which, in my opinion... is Mandatory... the "latin" rhythms just emanate sex...

#18581 - 01/22/09 12:23 AM Re: Music [Re: daevid777]
Jake999 Offline

La Conga!!!! Ricky Ricardo, where are you now?

#18582 - 01/22/09 12:39 AM Re: Music [Re: Jake999]
spiderbreeder Offline

Jake!!! You've come within a hair's breadth of describing one of my perfect fantasies- why oh why do you have to reside so far away?
Hours of debauchery could be had by all if you were just a hop, skip and a jump away.... ;\)

#18586 - 01/22/09 12:54 AM Re: Music [Re: spiderbreeder]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Go Jake, go...

Or I'm about to hop on over to the East Coast of Australia... first stop Sydney... then straight to Adelaide!!! (sorry, SpiderBreeder, I don't get out of the country much). Then I'll see MercuryTemplar if he'd let me in... and then I'd just go live in the "outback", try to eat some cats and lizards, and probably die... and it would be just fine.

I'll make sure I have plenty o' mayonaise, and I might just pick up some old time Vegemite, for good times.

Edited by daevid777 (01/22/09 12:55 AM)

Page 12 of 15 « First<1011121314>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.073 seconds of which 0.048 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.