Page 14 of 15 « First<1112131415>
Topic Options
#25481 - 06/07/09 05:03 PM Re: Music [Re: Tranceparent Sky]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I like a lot of different kinds of music but I most often listen to avant-garde music. Although avant garde isn't really a genre as much as an umbrella term for stuff that can't really be classified and is of an experimental or unusual nature.
Usually stuff that most people have a hard time swallowing. Stuff like Idiot Flesh, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Mr.Bungle, the Boredoms, Ruins, Magma, Secret Cheifs 3, John Zorn works(especially naked city), ect.
And then crossing over into the grey area between avantgarde and avantgarde metal I love stuff like Sigh, Unexpect, Dog Fashion Disco, the Dillenger Escape Plan, Giant Squid, ect.

I really love NIN but not really any similar bands. I think the main difference is NIN, while being very electronic, really dosn't have a techno inspired structure while things like Aphex Twin do.

I love Tool but not the bands that try to sound like them.

I do love me a good ammount of metal. I grew up on metallica and that's always stuck with me. I dig Megadeth and Slayer although I feel both of them, especially megadeth, have a lot of lesser material that dosn't come close to thier best stuff. I really love some of the more extreme metal bands but not a whole lot of them. I really like some Dimmu Borgir, Opeth,, Leviathin, and some random others. I don't really like straight death metal, the closest thing to it I like is Behemoth. I like things close but just blastbeats and one-tone vocals tend to just bore me.

I realise I just went on a big ramble about it. I'm kindof a music nerd so once I get going I keep going.

#25482 - 06/07/09 08:40 PM Re: Music [Re: TV is God]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
I realise I just went on a big ramble about it. I'm kindof a music nerd so once I get going I keep going.

Not to worry, you've created a better post than most. Very often, as I am sure you have read yourself, we get things like "i like tihs band tehy r kewl tehy r teh awesomests i ever herd i also like bitchfest becusz all teh chix in it r hot". It is nice to see a post about music that outstrips the usual standards we get around here.

Homo Homini Lupus

#26656 - 07/02/09 08:53 AM Re: Music [Re: Draculesti]
Satans Scrotum Offline
stranger

My last post in this thread lacked substance, and didn't reveal anything about my musical taste, and for that I apologize. I think NIN is a great band along with Tool, they get played around here often. Recently, for the past several years, I been into Psychobilly, bands like The Meteors, Demented Are Go, The Quakes, etc. It has established itself a scene here, and it's a lot of fun. Lot's of pompadours, leather jackets, hotrods and attractive women with tattoos, all of which, I enjoy.

The music references a lot of horror and exploitation movies I'm a fan and collector of, so I can identify with the music a lot. For anyone interested, I have an extensive collection I'm willing to share, I can up an album for download.

Also a fan of horror metal, any heavy metal band that references horror movies. Bands like Necrophagia, Frightmare, Blood Freak, etc. I can identify with the music, and just full of movie samples I love to hear. Also the album art for these bands is top notch brutality, hand painted by artist I appreciate.

#26668 - 07/02/09 12:02 PM Re: Music [Re: Satans Scrotum]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Bravo. You are getting on track with the posting. That's what we ask for, and require, here. Details. Why or what moves you enough to warrant clicking the reply button? Posting "I like heavy metal" offers nothing. So what? What about it makes you like it? Thank you for taking the time to improve your posting. I will take my finger off the ban button, for now.

I too like Pyschobilly and Rockabilly. For the very same reasons. I also assist writing articles and taking pictures for a local hot rod magazine. So I get to attend a lot of shows and see a lot of really impressive cars. Many also include local "billy" bands. I get to hear a new band, and if I like them, purchase a cd or sticker. I've also been fortunate enough to judge a few pinup girl contests. That's a perk I will never turn down. I might be interested in snatching some of the stuff you have. I am always looking to expand my collection.

Rather than junk up this thread with lists of what you have to send, anyone interested should drop SS a pm.

#27193 - 07/17/09 09:07 AM Re: Music [Re: PigFeeder]
Emily Offline
stranger

Loc: north wales, U.K
pigfeeder: i love norwegian black metal. darkthrone, satyricon,burzum (varg is out of prison now and is doing another album and book) gorgoroth. i havent heard of the other ones though, are they good?

AFI is a good band especially the song "miss murder" love that.

I havent really listened to NIN but i've heard they are good. i was going to check them out but never had the time, but i'll do so now.

#27206 - 07/18/09 01:38 AM Re: Music [Re: Emily]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Varg is out, you say?

(checks wiki)

Why so he is... appeals for parole kept on getting turned down, and with that crazy breakout shit he pulled a while ago, I lost interest and figured he'd be locked up for a few more years...

I'm interested to see what sort of style his music will be like now; if it's changed at all, or still the way it's always been. Either way, I hope he's not going to use his mum's old tape recorder for the mixes like most of his older stuff.

#27208 - 07/18/09 02:17 AM Re: Music [Re: The Zebu]
hellbent666
Unregistered

Not big on Black Metal, although I do enjoy Dimmu Borgir, cradle of filth, and devildriver, if you can even call devildriver black metal. I'm HUGE on german industrial right now with Hanzel Und Gretyl and of course Ramstein. I'm in the gym 7 days a week so my MP3 player is chock full of metal, and some sentimental stuff for down time. In weird moods I like hard house, DNB, Jungle, Dark Jungle, and some ambient for the hot tub! I have a wide variety of musical tastes ;\)
#27220 - 07/18/09 04:29 PM Re: Music [Re: ]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Quote:
if you can even call devildriver black metal.

No, you can't. ;\) Seriously...

You'd be hard pressed to find any die hard black metal fans who would consider Dimmu or Cradle to be black metal, even if they once fit the black metal mold (at least in Dimmu's case). Personally, I don't care much for the true vs. "untrue" debate. I like Dimmu and Darkthrone; I don't really care whether Dimmu are true or not. My favorite album of theirs is still Stormblĺst (the original recording), but I really enjoy their later stuff as well. I still buy their albums.

They may not be black metal (though they never really claimed to be) but I loved the first four Cradle of Filth releases, and Cruelty and the Beast remains one of my all-time favorite albums.

Homo Homini Lupus

#27221 - 07/18/09 04:37 PM Re: Music [Re: The Zebu]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

I was actually surprised to read the article about Varg on a British news site saying that he was about to be released. He seems to have matured, unless he's just trying to be "good." He generally used to come off as a douchebag, though the racist stuff I could generally care less about. The first three albums were okay, especially Det Som Engang Var, and even those don't move me nearly as much as anything written by Emperor...or Mayhem...or Darkthrone...or Satyricon...or practically any other great Norwegian band.

Quote:
Either way, I hope he's not going to use his mum's old tape recorder for the mixes like most of his older stuff.

You know, I generally don't enjoy your usual jabs at black metal, but this one I have to agree with.

Homo Homini Lupus

#27222 - 07/18/09 04:44 PM Re: Music [Re: Pan420]
Morbid Rex Offline

To add more substance to my original post I shall now sit about and chatter about the different types of music I enjoy.

I'm most likely in the extreme minority of this site as being a member who's actually a big fan of Hiphop music. Growing up in a predominately Black area I pretty much had no choice but to gravitate towards the music, although even from an early age I shunned the typical "bling bling fast money and women" rhetoric most "artists" in the Mainstream blabber about these days. Perhaps it was because as a young child I was lucky enough to be captivated by the videos of "alternative" Hiphop groups like Outkast, Pharcyde, and The Fugees. Over time the over-commercialization of the genre has left me in a state of disgust, for the most part I'm a huge fan of 90's Hiphop and the few rare modern gems that take the genre to where it needs to be.

Fortunately this boredom with Hiphop has only led me to seeking out other genres of music. Now I truely have diverse taste as the sonic foundation I lay out can range from Jazz, to Hardcore Punk, to Black Metal, etc.

Recently I've been getting into a lot of Stoner Sludge Metal. I'm becoming a big fan of bands like Electric Wizard, I also listened to Kylesa's new album Static Tensions today and I immediately thought "classic."

There's also a band I've recently run across called The Ocean (formally The Ocean Collective) which has an album out called Precambrian (plus something of the other) which sounds amazing based off the songs I've heard uploaded to Youtube.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#27230 - 07/19/09 12:27 AM Re: Music [Re: Morbid Rex]
Samuel Hain Offline
pledge

Loc: arkansas
Personally I can' say enough good things about the music of Nox Arcana. They are a combination of New Age and Neoclassical with each CD based on a paranormal or horror these. They have dome tribute CDs based on Poe, HP Lovecraft, and Vlad Tepes, among others.
#27441 - 07/23/09 04:26 PM Re: Music [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
The Zebu Offline

Quote:
Having read through this forum I was amazed at how wrong Peter Gilmore was when he claimed Satanists didn't really listen to black metal.

I think that Satanists are uniformly split on this matter. The older, more conservative types like Gilmore aren't the typical age range to have been instilled with an appreciation for metal like most of the youth these days. (LaVey had a special term for this, like ECI or something; I forget)

Another reason is that Black Metal has always been associated with theistic Satanism (think Dissection) and some of the more absurd varieties of devil-worship (anyone who's read any interviews with Euronymous of Mayhem knows what I'm talking about)... consequently, philosophical Satanists and those leaning towards the CoS tend to shun BM like the plague, since they want to avoid looking like the stereotype.

This seems to have changed dramatically in the past decade though, since there are BM fans within all forms of Satanism.

I love black metal myself (Yeah, I like to make fun of it sometimes, but then again who doesn't?). However, I don't believe it's any more inherently Satanic than any other form of music.

Edited by The Zebu (07/23/09 04:27 PM)

#27448 - 07/23/09 10:33 PM Re: Music [Re: The Zebu]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Quote:
Another reason is that Black Metal has always been associated with theistic satanism (think Dissection) and some of the more absurd varieties of devil-worship (anyone who's read any interviews with Euronymous of Mayhem knows what I'm talking about)... consequently, philosophical Satanists and those leaning towards the CoS tend to shun BM like the plague, since they want to avoid looking like the stereotype.

True, in the beginning, black metal was associated with the Theistic thing. Everyone should try to remember, though, that many of these bands were quite young and immature. The guys in Emperor, for example, did not exactly know what Satanism was really about, as evidenced by some early interviews, but as they have matured, many of these guys have shed that stereotypical media-spectacle Satanism that they were so well-known for in the beginning. Of course, there are some that never outgrow it, like Jon Nodtveidt of Dissection.

That is the thing that many people do not seem to understand about music. Music itself, even vocal music with devotional-themed texts, is not inherently religious in any way. Music becomes religious through the connotations others place on it. A perfect fifth interval is not a Christian interval, while the diminished fifth interval is not a Satanic interval. It is ludicrous to think of music in such terms. Of course, in medieval-era music (which was almost exclusively the domain of the Catholic church, though there was secular music, such as that played in a public house; however, these secular musics would most likely have been passed through oral traditions and, as such, would not have been written down, and so it is likely that few, if any, examples have survived. Secular music, such as the frottola was much more well documented in the Renaissance) the intervals of the perfect unison, perfect fifth, and perfect octave were heard as "pure" intervals and were the most widely used as a result. The diminished fifth/augmented fourth or "tritone" was called "diabolus in musica" or, the devil in music. This tone was avoided wherever possible.

What is my point? This: does one dissociate himself from Wagner because he was an anti-Semite, for fear of being considered one himself? Does one dissociate himself from the music of Benjamin Britten, of Ned Rorem, of Aaron Copland, of Samuel Barber, homosexuals all, for fear of being thought of as a homosexual himself? As Satanists, do we dissociate ourselves from the music of Bach, for example, whose entire output (even his secular music) was, as he said himself, devoted in service to God?

If these people were to answer "no" to any one of the above examples, then to dismiss black metal out of hand for the same reason is nothing but pure hypocrisy. Personally, I neither like nor dislike Jews (any more or less than any other group of people), but listening to Wagner does not make me want to organize a pogrom. The music of Britten, Barber, et al does not make my asshole quiver for man meat, either. As for Bach, I can enjoy his music without fear that I will become more devotional in my outlook.

Ideologies expressed by the composers of music, unfortunately, color a person's opinion of their music. Personally, while I do not agree with the Theistic bent, many bands who espouse those views create, nevertheless, some great music. Deathspell Omega, Watain, Glorior Belli, Funeral Mist, Dissection, and S.V.E.S.T., to name a few, all create some great metal that is well-written, lyrical content be damned. I especially like what Deathspell has been doing of late, with their ever greater reliance on layering and dissonance, especially minor seconds.

Admittedly, this stuff is not for everybody. If everyone liked the same kind of music, we would not have all the different kinds of music that we have today. Just trying to throw a little perspective out there.

Homo Homini Lupus

#27493 - 07/25/09 05:53 PM Re: Music [Re: The Zebu]
Emily Offline
stranger

Loc: north wales, U.K
you seem to have looked up on it anyway but heres a link for you and anyone who finds it interesting. It's what varg wrote about the murdering of the mayhem guitarist and his view and how he did it.

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story02.shtml

enjoy

#27495 - 07/25/09 06:58 PM Re: Music [Re: Emily]
The Zebu Offline

Yeah, I'd read it before. I have to agree that Euronymous was full of shit, but so was Varg.... I don't buy the whole "he was plotting to torture and kill me" schtick.

Norwegian article on his release, for the benefit of the interested:
http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/07/04/magasinet/innenriks/kriminalomsorg/kirkebrann/drapsdom/7051663/

Page 14 of 15 « First<1112131415>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.