Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#54319 - 05/11/11 06:45 AM What is your Purpose in life?
mabon2010 Offline

Loc: The Commonwealth of Great Brit...
Your Purpose in life is to reach your full human potential, but what is your full human potential?

The core idea of the Left Hand Path is to walk a path where you find and express the full human potential inside of you, the idea of apotheosis. The metaphor of the acorn to the oak tree comes to mind, the acorn though it is as yet no oak tree, knows its potential to be an oak tree and works to that end goal.

For human beings we have the problem of not even knowing what our inner potential is, which is partly what walking the LHP is all about, to discover the oak tree inside ourselves and with that insight move forward to become the oak tree. We are but little acorns with no memory of the oak tree inside of ourselves, which allows others to come along to convince us that we are not oak trees but something totally different like a cactus. We have to rip out the rubbish fed to us that we are a cactus, then rediscover who we really are as an oak tree, and this can be a painful part of the journey that few are prepared to face.

To get to know what our inner oak tree is, our potentiality, there is going to be a lot of self reflection, questioning and watching of our own reactions, feelings and ideas as we move through our lives. We need to have a book to write down what we encounter, which then provides a glimmer of what our inner potentiality is. There is a hidden voice in ourselves who holds the memory of the oak tree, we just need to listen to it. So in this path we walk we are indulging in a pattern of self remembering, since for nearly all of us we have forgotten who we are and what we could become.

Here follows some examples of my process of self remembering I call gnosis:

I like puzzles.
On a LHP forum there was for a few weeks a troll, I was asked why I was so obsessed about the troll. My answer was that the troll has become a puzzle, who were they? what was their hidden agenda? It became a game to me, some fun. I did identify that troll and their agenda through a slow process of problem solving and testing. The troll then vanished. I gained gnosis: "I like puzzles".

I hate loud noise.
I am unable to enter buildings with loud noise, and the sound of road hammers is painful. I gained gnosis: "I hate loud noise".

I hate infliction of suffering to animals.
Inside I get emotionally upset when I encounter a news story of someone who has inflicted suffering to an animal, for instance the guy who blasted a koala bear killing its mother but leaving the cub injured. I gained gnosis: "I dislike cruelty to animals".

All these little observations go into a book as I build up a picture of what and who I am, how I tick. With these insights I gain knowledge, gnosis, of my own potentiality, and with this I have understanding of what directions I need to take in life to stay in concordance with these bits of knowledge about me. If one follows that inner voice one becomes happier, though if one moves in conflict to inner potentiality then it causes depression, anxiety and misery.

Edited by mabon2010 (05/11/11 06:48 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#54320 - 05/11/11 11:32 AM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: mabon2010]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I believe that another thing that separates the LHP from the RHP is that there is truly no 'end goal' on the Sinister Path. And as much as I don't want to sound like some kind of a bullshit fortune-cookie philosopher, the reward really is in the journey itself. "Godhood" is not some final destination, but an endless process of ascension.

I would not necessarily call all of your findings 'gnosis', rather than a sort of passive insight. Gnosis is difficult to put into words, and is instead an active insight gained from more direct experiences.

Gnosis is primarily a link between conception and actualization-- actually going out there and dealing with things on a physical and emotional level that cannot be achieved by contemplation alone.

Your 'loud noise" instance is probably the most relevant example. One can read in books about how loud noises naturally cause biological pain and discomfort that might lead to hearing loss, but you do not actually 'know' this until your ears are assaulted by a symphony of jackhammers. This, of course, is only a whimsical example.

On a Sinister level, this would involve pushing your personal limits and abilities beyond their current state. Mastering an artform through dedicated practice, achieving difficult athletic goals, practicing self-sufficiency, and transgressing social taboos are all ways the Left-Hand-Path traveler gains gnosis and insight.

Edited by The Zebu (05/11/11 11:33 AM)

#54327 - 05/11/11 12:29 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: The Zebu]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

There is only one thing awaiting at the end of the LHP: death. The LHP is simply self-destructive. The only purpose is walking the path, living it, experiencing. Even the insights gained, the accomplishments, the deeds done, are of a momentary importance since the arrow points forward at all times; it is always onwards to the next.

I disagree Gnosis is that easily gained, you can "get" it by watching the news. You won't understand inflicting cruelty upon animals until you do it. When it bothers you as much to inflict as to not inflict, when it leaves you indifferent, detached, you can choose what you prefer. Only then you'll understand and have consciously made your own choice.

D.

#55065 - 05/25/11 03:16 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: Diavolo]
Dirty Harry Offline
Banned. Troll.
stranger

I have always Thought the whole point of life is to die I mean what's the point in being brought into a world were after you have achieved goals and reached your potential that you die why?

#55071 - 05/25/11 11:38 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: Dirty Harry]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
You always have the right to end your life any minute.
You don't have to wait, its a choice to live.
Its very easy to die if you truly want to.

The true purpose to life is.....

WHATEVER YOU WANT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE TO BE.

You decide on your own purpose, goals, achievements, or how long to ride the couch before you off yourself.

There is no rule that says you have to wait till afterwards, you can always kill yourself at the height of your peak or before it.

You can decide when you die.

M

#55166 - 05/29/11 02:50 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: Morgan]
SerialKeller Offline
stranger

Loc: Scotland
The purpose of life isn't to die, I think, Dirty Harry. Death is the end of it, but not the purpose.
Do you watch a movie to see the credits?

While we are in life, we are forced to do things that will make us enjoy it (boredom sucks). And we are forced to make ourselves feel worthy. And when the more complex things like emotions and society kick in, we need to avoid negative emotions like sorrow and work within the bounds of what is acceptable in society (we all do this, even if it's just by following the law or avoiding being caught).

So you could be right to say the purpose is to die, but it's not. Just because it's inevitable and it nullifies all else you've done, doesn't mean it's the point.
Maybe the purpose of life doesn't have an English word to explain it, and I don't want to be cliché and say "the purpose is to enjoy yourself", or that there is none. But you are forced by your self to do things that will make it seem good, so you can say that is the purpose.

#55169 - 05/29/11 03:19 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: SerialKeller]
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
SerialKeller:

Quote:
The purpose of life isn't to die, I think, Dirty Harry.

If you would kindly direct your attention to the leftmost bar in Dirty Harry's posts, you will see the words "Banned. Troll." underneath his username.

Quote:

While we are in life, we are forced to do things that will make us enjoy it (boredom sucks). And we are forced to make ourselves feel worthy.

Exactly what are we "forced" to make ourselves feel worthy of?

I'm not going to bring out the hammer, but if you believe that external compulsion is the basis for cultivating pleasure and a strong sense of pride, you are not a Satanist.

Quote:
Maybe the purpose of life doesn't have an English word to explain it, and I don't want to be cliché and say "the purpose is to enjoy yourself", or that there is none.

Fortunately, there is ancient Greek.

Ἀρετή

Z.

#55175 - 05/29/11 04:54 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: Zophos]
SerialKeller Offline
stranger

I wasn't specifically replying to Harry, which is why it wasn't sent in PM. I was just replying to his idea. I saw "Banned. Troll.", but because it was above his status and not replacing it, and reading his other posts, I thought he wrote it for a laugh.

In my life, I have noticed I tried to feel worthy of other people. I tried to work because I didn't want to be a leech, and I tried not to be a burden to other people. If most people repeat that's how you're supposed to live, then most people probably believe it is true so it's worth pointing out.

Thank you for showing me that word, now I'm going to read more of it. But it still doesn't explain the idea I want to communicate, not completely, anyway. I think, the best way to say it, is we just "are" trying to pursue pleasure. It shouldn't be thought of too often.

#55183 - 05/29/11 05:36 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: SerialKeller]
Zophos Offline

Quote:
I wasn't specifically replying to Harry, which is why it wasn't sent in PM.

"The purpose of life isn't to die, I think, Dirty Harry."

Perhaps it would be a good idea to avoid using someone's name if you aren't responding that person specifically.

Quote:
It shouldn't be thought of too often.

That's exactly what we need, more people thinking less.

Z.

#55189 - 05/29/11 06:20 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: Zophos]
SerialKeller Offline
stranger

Maybe yes, but I wanted people to look for Dirty Harry's post.
No one-liners. Please read the FAQ as well.

Edited by SkaffenAmtiskaw (05/29/11 06:25 PM)

#55269 - 05/31/11 03:42 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: SerialKeller]
Byllgrim Offline
lurker

Loc: Norway
Why make something out of nothing?

First, last and only warning. Stop it with the one-liners or leave.

Edited by SkaffenAmtiskaw (05/31/11 05:45 PM)

#55281 - 05/31/11 05:41 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: Byllgrim]
Zophos Offline

You may not realize it, Byllgrim, but your post speaks volumes about you. Your response to SerialKeller shows that you have read her post, which also means that you either read the warning just beneath it, or you overlooked it. If you read it, you're a moron for responding with another useless one-line post after the new member just above you was firmly chided for it. If you overlooked it, you're a moron for missing something as clear as crystal (and even brightly colored) in the post to which you yourself responded. Congratulations: in two posts you have successfully proven that your presence here is inane enough to be expendable.

The ratios of stupidity per idiot and idiots to members is bad enough on this forum without your contribution.

Z.

#55377 - 06/02/11 03:32 AM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: mabon2010]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Don't really know what you mean by the question since it implies the concept of destiny.

I have, on the other hand, goals in life. My current one is to finish my studies. There are a few other "minor" goals like hoping to win the elections as a candidate-praeses and bringing my current status of quaestor in another society at a good end.

At average I tend to live from day to day and take the things as they turn out to be. I still have my views on long-term but the awareness of not staring oneself blind on them and looking at the present might just allow that "full human potential" to be reached.

#55389 - 06/02/11 10:59 AM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: Diavolo]
Hegesias Offline

One has always been experiencing nothing but life and since one cannot perceive death there is nothing but life and it is always here right now. One cannot fear death, only the thought of not experiencing more life.

I would ask: what is best in life? is this the purpose in life. And how do we define what is best having not experienced everything.

"What is the greatest experience you can have? It is the hour of the great contempt. The hour when your happiness, too, arouses your disgust, and even your reason and your virtue. The hour when you say, 'What matters my happiness? It is poverty and filth and wretched contentment."— Nietzsche

For me, my life would repeatedly retell me, that I seek to attain high stimulation, cerebral or somatic. On the path of ignominy, I will tread the left path in an instinctive and impulsive way, to my death I will never be satiated, I am insatiable for I quench my thirst with dust.

The triumph of the will.

#55424 - 06/02/11 10:56 PM Re: What is your Purpose in life? [Re: mabon2010]
Goliath Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: mabon2010
The core idea of the Left Hand Path is to walk a path where you find and express the full human potential inside of you, the idea of apotheosis.

I've been thinking lately about what this means, exactly--apotheosis: deification, or the achievement of godhood; becoming one's own god. From my own naturalistic perspective, this seems to correspond to the ancient Stoic ideal of the 'wise man,' and even more closely to Spinoza's ideal of the 'free man.'

Spinoza argued that most people live their entire lives in 'bondage': this is why Part Four of his Ethics is entitled, "Of Human Bondage." To be in bondage is to be other-created and other-directed. To be moved entirely by forces outside oneself, and for our choices to be out of our own control--to be things that are made for us, and that happen to us. To have our beliefs and desires led by random experience and the passions (which he saw as a type of bondage, insofar as they are the effects of external causes).

His ideal, by contrast, was to be both autonomous and autogenous--both self-directing and self-creating. He argued that a man is free when his motives--those forces which move him--arise entirely from within, rather from without. This freedom, he argued, is attainable only by and through what he called 'adequate ideas'--a true comprehension of things, 'under the species of eternity,' the way God or Nature comprehends them. (Keeping in mind that Spinoza's conception of 'God' was radically different both from the Christian tradition, and the Jewish tradition in which he was raised: this is why he used the phrase 'God or Nature') In this way, we become, essentially, an unmoved mover: by thinking the way God or Nature thinks, we become as God or Nature is.

This ideal seems to resonate strongly with the Satan myth: like the mythical (or perhaps the poetic) Satan, the free man rebels against the 'divine' order and asserts his independence--his own godhood, and his own self-chosen destiny.

On a more practical level, it resonates with what I see as the Good Life. To me, life seems seems rather like a curve, with a peak of power, freedom, and independence in the middle. The farther we move away from this peak, in either direction, towards either childhood or old age, the less power, freedom, and independence we enjoy, until finally we arrive at non-existence, before birth and after death. The Good Life is the life that prolongs this middle period as long as possible, and which reaches the highest peak of power and freedom attainable.

Interestingly, Spinoza also argued that might was right--or as he put it, that power was virtue. It is our nature, and indeed the nature of all things, to strive to perservere in our being. That which adds to our power to perservere--our conatus--is good. That which takes away from our power to perservere is bad. In Spinoza's Ethics, as in the Satanic Bible, self-preservation is the highest law. And that which adds most to our power to perservere, once again, is that 'adequate' understanding of both the world and ourselves which makes us 'free men'--that is to say, as close to gods as humanly possible.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.