Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#546 - 09/22/07 04:18 AM Electoral College
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
So now I may sound incredibly stupid... and it will not be the first or the last time, mind you...

Who are the Electoral College?

I mean, people. Who are these people? I want names, damnit.

Please, I know what it is, what "it" does... but if anyone here can tell me the names of the "Presidential Electors" in their State, I will give them a Scooby Snack.

Perhaps I've been asking the wrong questions, but I don't think I voted for these people. Wait, I didn't vote at all, nevermind.

Anyway, give it to me, learn-ed ones - New York? Texas? Idaho? They are to match the Senators and Representatives in number, and "We" supposedly voted for them. I have never seen an ad or sign for a presidential elector, so how would I know exactly for whom I am voting?

Either my blatant ignorance is showing, or there is something incredibly wrong. Forgive me, it's not for lack of trying.

Names, just names... of the last election at least (or especially!)...

Thanks.

#549 - 09/22/07 09:32 AM Re: Electoral College [Re: daevid777]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Perhaps this will help you. If you click on the banner for "How Electors Vote", it will bring up a copy of the document they signed with their vote. State by state. All the names are there. None I recognize.

Electoral College

#553 - 09/22/07 01:14 PM Re: Electoral College [Re: daevid777]
Meph Offline
stranger

Loc: Huntington, Indiana
When you vote for a candidate, you are actually selecting an elector that has already been selected. You never actually vote for a candidate you vote for the elector. Now how these electors are selected is up to the state, in Indiana, for example, they are chosen by the Governor.

Here's Indiana's from 2004, I don't believe 2008's have been selected yet.

Kenneth Culp
John Zentz
Michael Miner
Saundra Huddleston
Leeann Cook
Ted Ogle
Melissa Proffitt Reese
Dudley Curea
Larry Shickles
James Kittle
Jean Ann Harcourt

You can find your states here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_electors,_2004

Where's my scooby snack? haha

#555 - 09/22/07 02:18 PM Re: Electoral College [Re: Meph]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Curse the electoral college!

I understand WHY it was put in place, with a high rate of illiteracy among the voting public at the time of the Revolutionary War, but goddamn, why hasn't anyone ABOLISHED this outmoded method of electing our leaders? There was talk of it briefly after the 2004 elections, but the idea was quickly squashed, since abolishing the Electoral College would actually give the PEOPLE the power, and not these hoity-toity politicians.

Heaven forbid!

#556 - 09/22/07 02:31 PM Re: Electoral College [Re: Nemesis]
Meph Offline
stranger

With these new voting machines I'm not so sure it would make a difference if it was abolished or not. Do a google video search on the electronic voting machines, you'll see that our vote doesn't matter anyway, so I don't even bother. Something tells me our next president has already been voted on and confirmed at some secret location by some secret organization. Maybe I am just too into my conspiracies, but I wouldn't doubt it at all.
#572 - 09/22/07 11:44 PM Re: Electoral College [Re: Meph]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Yes, I know "how" it all works, but I never could find any actual names of the electors - and yet you found it so easily... I guess I just was typing in the wrong questions.

However, you definitely deserve a Scooby snack... would you settle for a pot-brownie?

(Maybe now it's pot brownie, or potbrownie - since the new dictionary came out recently.)

So then, these people - if appointed by the Governor, would have a political slant in the first place - according to the Governor's politics. I guess if they were voted for by the public, then that would be similar to just voting for the president anyway, and would be redundant and ridiculous. Maybe, they could be voted for like district representatives are selected... but I'm a dreaming man.

The reason for keeping the Electoral College is to allow for all voices to be heard... otherwise, if done simply by popularity, the nation would be at the whimsy of New York, California, Florida, and Texas... which might not be so bad... but it would piss people off in Wyoming. It's an attempt to create a truly representative government, by not allowing anyone to choose whose representing them... go figure.

Thanks Meph

#587 - 09/23/07 01:25 AM Re: Electoral College [Re: Meph]
Disabuse Offline

Quote:
Something tells me our next president has already been voted on and confirmed at some secret location by some secret organization. Maybe I am just too into my conspiracies, but I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Have you watched the T.V. series Prison Break? In today's government, I strongly believe it is ran by a corporate based organization. I would have to agree with the show in calling it "The Company".

Nothing is really as far fetched in today's American Government as some would like to think.

#593 - 09/23/07 01:17 PM Re: Electoral College [Re: daevid777]
Happy Birthday Asmedious Moderator Online

Loc: New York
Daevid!!

You must not ask these questions. It doesn’t matter how the Electoral college works, or who is in it, or how they have gotten there.

It is a mystery that can only be answered by the very top levels of the Freemasons, and Illuminati. ;\)

But seriously, does it really matter. It’s not like we are going to get rid of this crazy system. I mean, one only has to look at the candidates the “system” gives us to vote for. Non of them have any originality, back bone, or character. They have been cut out from the same sheet of shit, with the same cookie cutter.

I just hope that big meteor that is going to hit us some days, hurries the fuck up, and gives us a chance at a fresh start \:\)

#594 - 09/23/07 01:46 PM Re: Electoral College [Re: daevid777]
Meph Offline
stranger

The brownie would definitely work. These electors are not allowed to hold a public office, but since the Governor selects them, I would assume that they are big in the campaign donation market. I think we should go to a popular vote, because people in the red and blue states who aren't necessarily with the rest of their state, don't even get a vote that counts. Candidates spend all of their time in the "swing states", avoiding all else. I don't know about anyone else but I do not appreciate being ignored time after time. No candidate ever comes to my state because they already know how it will vote, and it's a waste of jet fuel. Indiana hasn't voted for a Democrat since Johnson. I'm not a Democrat (although I tend to be liberal minded), nor am I a Republican. I will vote for who ever I think will do the best job, not because of the color of the tie they wear.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.