Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#54857 - 05/21/11 09:05 PM End of the World: Two theories
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
Most people know that the world was supposed to end, or the beginning of the Rapture which was scheduled to begin at 6pm SHARP!

Its now after 8pm, nearly nine and we are all still here. I dont expect much surprise in this forum. But like Anton LaVey I too, am a people watcher. And today was supposed to be one for history, but working today, traveling many miles and seeing many different places.... I came to two conclusions.

All the super markets were rather empty. Malls were populated, but moving at a leisurely pace. Even traffic although heavier due to the summer rush coming closer, was reserved and meandering. No one would be able to tell by seeing everyone that they had been told prior in the year today was Judgement day.

But not a few months earlier, if the weatherman predicted several inches of snow....the story would be much different. Stores crammed, people screaming at each other for parking spaces. Bare shelves. Chaos unleashed, the sky is falling.

What did this tell me?

That the masses walking my part of the world, have more faith in the weatherman....then in the bible. (or the prophesy contained therein.) When asked to prove my observation wrong, everyone I told it too merely laughed and agreed. Even the religious ones.

This radio preacher will wake up tomorrow to alot of questions being asked. My belief is rather then face ridicule, he can make another proclamation. One which will renew faith, and feed on the fears of the herd.

(pick one)

A small convent of nuns in a remote locale.
A group of third world, poverty stricken poor.
A young terminally ill cancer patient.

One or more then one of the above will have been found to have prayed over many days, and hours for the souls of the people of Earth, so contrite and pious they are that God will hear their plea and spare his children from judgement.

A ready made reason why we were spared. No one will call a child with cancer who prayed a liar. And it will exonerate the man who's predictions were a little ambitious.

I should have trademarked "False alarm" party hats and favors for tomorrows events. I would be rich.

#54859 - 05/21/11 09:29 PM Re: End of the World: Two theories [Re: Ghostly1]
Lucifer Rising Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
There is a problem with your first conclusion.

Originally Posted By: Ghostly1
(T)he masses walking my part of the world, have more faith in the weatherman....then in the bible. (or the prophesy contained therein.)

What it really shows is that people have more faith in the weatherman than some radio preacher predicting an exact date and time for the end of the world. I know plenty of people that think the end of the world is near. None of them took this guy serious. All of them still think the end of the world is near.

The religious would still agree with your statement, at almost any time. They are told how few people trust the Bible, Jesus, and God all the time. It helps make them feel like an oppressed minority even when they are the majority.

#54861 - 05/21/11 09:42 PM Re: End of the World: Two theories [Re: Lucifer Rising]
Ghostly1 Offline

Loc: NY
Agreed.

I spoke at length about that preacher, and his motives. The huge donations he received after his predictions were made public. $15 million if I remember correctly.

I was actually glad I didnt see sign holders, and people preaching on street corners. Everyone was joking about it all day, and frankly I enjoyed myself immensely.

But what I dont like, is how people panic over a little snow. or run around panicked in the rain trying not to get wet. I laugh when I picture them in the shower screaming and running in circles.

#54882 - 05/22/11 11:19 AM Re: End of the World: Two theories [Re: Ghostly1]
myk5 Offline

Since the beginning of Christianity - the first Christians expected Christ's return IN THEIR OWN GENERATION. And it did not happen. And the Christians that followed, they kept the dream alive, are routinely let down, and yet still hope for this.

I suppose faith is the key to mastering the heights of idiocy.

#54900 - 05/22/11 04:37 PM Re: End of the World: Two theories [Re: myk5]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The world is constantly changing, and people generally do not cope well with change. They are terrified of all the constant chaos and turmoil around them, and cannot fathom that the world could possibly keep spinning for much longer.

NATURAL DISASTERS! It's not the earth as usual, it's the end times!

OUR CULTURE IS CHANGING! Satan is gaining power as the world slips into spiritual darkness!

A CONTROVERSIAL LEADER STEPS ONTO THE WORLD STAGE! Great Whore of Babylon... he must be the Antichrist!

The end has been near for millenia. Seriously, it's like the world has had a 2,000-year case of apocalyptic blue-balls. Sometimes I wish the galaxy would just spontaneously collapse without warning just to shut everyone up.

On a lighter note, Harold Camping- purveyor of said May 21st doomsday prediction- hasn't left his house since he missed the Rapture-bus, ignores all his calls and keeps the windows tightly shuttered. Gonna be one hell of a joke once he has the balls to take a step out of his front door.

#54910 - 05/22/11 05:38 PM Re: End of the World: Two theories [Re: Ghostly1]
Czereda Online

Loc: Poland
This preacher and his followers are one of many protestant sects. Not all of the Protestants supported him. In addition to this, Catholics and orthodox Christians do not believe in the rapture.

As far as I know, the Bible states that nobody knows the day when the world ends. As for the weather changes, they can be predicted so no wonder that people want to be prepared for them. The same with natural catastrophies, though they do not have to be the sign of the oncoming apocalipse, they happen on a regular basis so it is impossible to simply ignore them.

#54914 - 05/22/11 06:14 PM Re: End of the World: Two theories [Re: The Zebu]
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
The Zebu:

Quote:
NATURAL DISASTERS! It's not the earth as usual, it's the end times!

For a pseudo-Satanic version of the same, see our friend Dave Pellani's drivel on the Nature's Wrath thread.

Quote:
The end has been near for millenia. Seriously, it's like the world has had a 2,000-year case of apocalyptic blue-balls. Sometimes I wish the galaxy would just spontaneously collapse without warning just to shut everyone up.

Thank you for provoking a hearty laugh; I needed that.

Unfortunately I must concur that the sudden, ignominious destruction of humankind, with no heroes, villains, or perceptible cause to speak of, would probably be the only cosmic check on anthropocentric hubris. Unfortunately, no one would be any wiser for it.

Z.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.