Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#55222 - 05/30/11 05:12 PM Any magicians here?
Pizgatti Offline
stranger

Hello everyone,

I've been a practicing magician for many a years, and was checking to see if anyone else here is a magician or interested in the art? Always nice to see a fellow conjurer or illusionist.

(not spiritual or satanistic magick by the way...as in cards and coins)

#55410 - 06/02/11 03:07 PM Re: Any magicians here? [Re: Pizgatti]
darkersidecuming Offline
lurker

yes, i have been one since the age five.
as you know, i can only reveal the secrects to a new student i take on.

#55414 - 06/02/11 03:52 PM Re: Any magicians here? [Re: Pizgatti]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Pizgatti, Iím assuming that by starting this thread you want to begin a conversation about the topic you have raised. Thatís usually why people start threads. However, simply asking if anyone here is also a stage magician is pointless. Darkersidecuming is one, I am not. So what?

What matters are personal insights Ė why did you become a magician, why do you enjoy performing magic, what memorable experiences have you had performing magic, what have you learned from those experiences? You provided no context to your question. Your post was basically a one-liner spread out over four lines, and Darkersidecuming responded in kind.

Unless the trick here is for your thread to drop off the radar at lightning-fast speed, you need to give us more to work with.

#55418 - 06/02/11 04:18 PM Re: Any magicians here? [Re: darkersidecuming]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
yes, i have been one since the age five.
as you know, i can only reveal the secrects to a new student i take on.

Behold the godly magick powers of Dimitri!
http://www.spellchecker.net/spellcheck/

Use my gift wisely and learn my ancient and secret wisdom:
Don't sell bullshit and stop trolling around.

#55426 - 06/02/11 11:55 PM Re: Any magicians here? [Re: William Wright]
Pizgatti Offline
stranger

William, I appreciate the concern and advice. On a side note I really just was wondering if there were those around, so that I might PM and thus interact with someone I can relate to on that level.

I won't respond to the one post darkersidecuming, for one the post was quite obvious and redundant. Second, since I already stated I have been a magician for many years I don't see why I wouldn't know the oath. Third...Magicians should be part of their own elite as well...so learn to spell.

Originally Posted By: William Wright
Pizgatti, Iím assuming that by starting this thread you want to begin a conversation about the topic you have raised. Thatís usually why people start threads. However, simply asking if anyone here is also a stage magician is pointless. Darkersidecuming is one, I am not. So what?

What matters are personal insights Ė why did you become a magician, why do you enjoy performing magic, what memorable experiences have you had performing magic, what have you learned from those experiences? You provided no context to your question. Your post was basically a one-liner spread out over four lines, and Darkersidecuming responded in kind.

Unless the trick here is for your thread to drop off the radar at lightning-fast speed, you need to give us more to work with.

Indeed.
Well, it has been off and on since I was a very young child. My interest was a phase like most children go through I would assume, everyone has one. I have always thought myself to be part of an elite group, whether that sounds prideful or not. Come to think of it, it is prideful and I admit that. That's why we are here after all. Either way I always pictured myself and imagined I was a spy, or something else secret. Finally when the first David Blaine specials started coming on TV, my love of magic was reawakened.

I began practicing in earnest, unlike many who "dabble" at so many things I actually tried. I succeeded. Soon I started performing on the street, I would stop passerby and do a few effects for them. I took it to school, and got much attention there for it. I've always been a follower of and intrigued by the study of psychology, and these two loves went hand in hand for me. This is literally my outlet of "lesser" magic. ;\)

Magic has taught me above all, to always be prepared for life's situations. You really never know what will happen next, that's why I'm always thinking 5 steps ahead. I don't "know" what will happen, but I know 20 things that "could" and which are the most likely. I do love to entertain, as much for my amusement as theirs. I like having secrets above others, where I know things that they do not and like to use that to my advantage.

I'm good at what I do. However I never understand why everyone assumes I do stage magic. I've only performed on a stage twice, and the biggest audience couldn't have been more than fifty people. I mainly do close up. Cards, Coins, Sponge Balls, and Everyday Objects found around the house. Impromptu magic at a moment's notice without seemingly being prepared is my forte.

There have been many small experiences in magic that have gradually taught me much about my fellow humans, and their nature. As well as the importance of appearance to others. My black trench coat is the usual attire now, unless the event is more formal. I like being the odd one out, and then performing magic. My appearance never makes sense until I make the impossible happen, then they always realize.

Questions anyone?

#55442 - 06/03/11 01:03 PM Re: Any magicians here? [Re: Pizgatti]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Pizgatti, a hundred times better. Good job on handling constructive criticism. Iíve got a question: Do you learn most of your tricks from books, or do you spend more time and effort creating your own tricks?

Several years back I got a magic set for my daughter. We learned a few tricks and tried them out for family and friends. What immediately struck me was how much practice was required to perform even simple tricks well. Youíre basically telling a story, setting up the trick, progressing through the trick and getting to the payoff, a hopefully awe-inspiring feat of magic. Youíve really got to love it to discipline yourself to practice until the trick can be executed flawlessly. Neither my daughter nor I loved it that much, but we both gained an appreciation for what magicians do.

I hear people ragging on David Blaine, and theyíre certainly entitled to their opinion, but I think the guy is an amazing magician. Same goes for Chris Angel. It still trips me out when I think of Blaine levitating in front of some folks on a street corner. I love the casualness of his delivery, as if performing magic is as natural to him as eating a bagel.

I saw David Copperfield back in college, and I really enjoyed myself (despite my friendís constant interrupting to say he knew how Copperfield pulled off this trick or that). The best trick was his last. He was standing on stage, and suddenly the curtain dropped in front of him. A split second later we heard a loud engine from the back of the room. There was Copperfield, revving up his motorcycle. Fucking blew me away.

#55445 - 06/03/11 01:28 PM Re: Any magicians here? [Re: William Wright]
Pizgatti Offline
stranger

I feel constructive criticism is just that, constructive. If I didn't learn from my mistakes and keep an open mind my philosophies on life would be quite constrained and stuck in one spot. I've grown much over the years from considering other people's thoughts.

Actually, in the beginning I would have to say it was probably books, and basic magic kits like you bought for your daughter. After that the internet age started, and I scoured the internet. I make sure not to support those that "expose" secrets all over youtube as they are horrible performers and are only looking for an ego boost. I stick to communities that I found that helped me from the beginning. Magic Hat, and The Magic Cafe are great places for magicians to congregate. Their strict on exposure and are mainly places to skirt around the methods in a posturing way, while still having a nice conversation about the effects. These kinds of communities have allowed me to glean much advice from seasoned professionals above me in the art, and I've learned a lot.

I have created a few of my own, and many magicians would argue that any trick should "become your own" once you start performing it. You develop your own patter, and handling. If it becomes varied enough you might create your own effect, and some choose to market this while others keep it hidden in their personal amazing space of wonder. ;\)

Alas, trick creation is not for everyone. It is hard and takes a bit of work, as does magic in general. The rest of your post made me smile. It does take work, and that's what the "Ellusionist kids" don't understand. Sites like Ellusionist (Ellusionist is a website of magic for...this generation) are harming the art by telling kids "You can learn this in 5 minutes!". Sure, you can learn it in five minutes. You can also go perform it and show everyone exactly how it's done in two seconds if you like. It takes practice and work, standing in front of a mirror, actually doing the action your trying to impersonate etc...
--For instance, here is a video from myself a few years back when I had a not so high quality camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkocoh_izuo
I performed it alright, but it needed patter most likely. It also could have been smoother, and that was the 3rd generation video after I watched each one I found something to improve upon. Now I perform it quite well and while speaking the whole time.

Copperfield and the greats will always be remembered. Houdin, Houdini and Downs. All great. David Blaine I MIGHT add to that list, however Criss Angel rubs me the wrong way. In my "ethics" of magic I don't agree with his tactics. By the way...funny video and story from David Blaine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyACwQCtr20

I admire David as well for his "stunts" as it were. Whether the other Satanists will regard it as "stupidity" or not, I've always admired those who test the limits. It does put oneself in danger, but I feel it benefits him and I in this case and that is of greater importance. He shows the world things the body can really stand, things he can stand. It improves his image and character and makes his magic that much stronger. I've pulled out a blade last Halloween and sliced my arm open while performing, just to emphasize that I wasn't the same. I wiped the blood away and kept performing. Many of my fellow magicians don't understand this building of character, you are who you want to be. Accompany that with amazing effects of magic... there you have it.

Edit: I love when he does crap like this to people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeddPlj2D4E
Social experiments FTW

Edited by Pizgatti (06/03/11 01:32 PM)
Edit Reason: add video.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.