Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#5542 - 03/13/08 12:47 PM Tolerance & Respect
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
Lately while browsing these forums, I've noticed a complete lack of tolerance and respect towards eachother. I see people being accused of blatant shit, I see people attacking others over mere conflict of opinion and interest, I see more 'flaming' then I do productive and positive posting. I see people jumping on the band-wagon at every opportunity just to boost their alter-ego. I see people being dismissive to others. I see lying, deception and outright bullshit being plastered all across this entire site.

Now, don't get me wrong; I enjoy coming here -- because the conversation can be decent and thought-provoking, and I mean no disrespect to Rick -- but it's the users making this place like it is. If I recall correctly, this place was once a giant hive of intelligent, intellectual, thought-provoking, productive and informing posts and threads -- now all I see is people trying to turn it into some cesspit full of shit. That isn't what the 600 Club is about. It's about respecting eachother's opinion/s, and debating with intelligence. But I don't see that.

I can probably only point out a select few people who post in which I actually still enjoy reading their posts. Some of them include TC, DestroyA, Noc, etc., people who put thought and energy into their posts -- and don't just waste fucking bandwidth like some. Honestly, when are you going to grow up? A rhetorical question that most probably doesn't have an answer. I mean, come on -- I'm 19 for fucks sake and some of you are old enough to be my parents and I have to tell YOU to grow up? That's a tad ridiculous. Pathetic..

Whatever happend to respecting the rights and beliefs of others? Practicing what you preach? Understanding the different aspects and perspectives of someone else's views? I thought you were all highly intelligent individuals. Clearly I was wrong. Seriously people -- I would like to continue posting here because I like the idea of the site and the people in it -- but this bullshit needs to stop and alot of you have alot of growing up to do. Am I supposed to be impressed by posts that clearly indicate how big, bad and tough you are? Am I supposed to be impressed by your use of big words but no knowledge to back it up?

Posts such as "you're a fucking losser! ahaha! LOL" are nothing but childish and irresponsible. Blatant indications that you're not contributing to the forum and not wanting to actually post something productive for once. I don't want to have to sit here and read about how 2 members of the board hate eachother and think eachother are nothing but outright dickheads. I want to read informative posts that get me thinking -- even posts that get me questioning my own morals and understandings. Seriously..

Most of you will probably jump on the attack band-wagon at me straight after reading this. Most will probably say "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" and other pointless time-wasting shit such as that. Then again, who knows. Maybe I'll be surprised and everyone will put their own thoughts and opinions down without being attacked or attacking another. But for some reason, I highly doubt it.

#5549 - 03/13/08 03:20 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: DaVinci]
Jeseth Offline
pledge

Loc: California
I think I do a decent job of tolerating people, no matter how stupid they might be, but if I don't respect someone's views on an issue, I won't pretend to. I still don't verbally attack anyone though, unless they've earned it by purposely posting ignorant comments. I haven't been here very long, but I haven't noticed anyone posting things like, "You're a fucking losser! ahaha! LOL" too often.

I'm not upset by your post, but I feel like it's too generalized. At a glance, it looks like very few people act in the way which you described.

Additionally, my posts are usually not as detailed as I'd like to make them, since I'm often posting while at work or just before bed. I try to summarize my views as best as I can with the time that I have.

#5553 - 03/13/08 04:07 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: Jeseth]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
LOL. Funny how there was alot less of that happening before you turned up in your current 'alter-ego'. It's been your presence here, a rather slimy untrustworthy presence, that has caused alot of what you are complaining about. It's because you are not who you say you are and some of us have a knack for knowing this, and we question you, and you don't like it because you have no truth behind what you say. Now you've finally worked out Xear's name, you use it like he's your friend when in truth your only ally is TC, who is going to feel really stupid for having trusted you.

You spend just over a month here and parade around like a peacock declaring that you're not a Satanist, and wanting to admonish all and sundry that dare to question what you are really all about. Only for us to find out that this is your number two account on here, your other one discarded, not because you were banned, oh no, only it seems because not enough respect was given to you for your liking.

So you limped away and hid and lurked for a little while, just long enough for us to almost forget you previous 'alter-ego' then join back in saying all that you thought someone wanted to hear.

If the log in times for both your 'alter-egos' are anything to go by, you were only away for one month. Check it out for yourselves everybody. HERE

Australian troops have been doing tours of Iraq for 6 month stints, so you need to come up with a better lie Matthew ;-)

Torlerence and respect are kept for those that ACTUALLY deserve it. We are after all selfish Satanists.

I'm sorry Rick if this is pissing you off, but quite frankly having to listen to this guys unfounded claims of granduer is unbearable. I think I've said all I have to say on the matter however. If the people of this board want to beleive the crap coming out of DaVinci's fingertips then go ahead, but I personally have already lost a fair bit of respect for TC for falling for it and anyone else that continues to beleive his tripe will similarly loose my respect. It is after all MY RESPECT to give and take as I please and not something I have to justify to a 19 would be.

ZephyrGirl

#5559 - 03/13/08 05:51 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: DaVinci]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
That isn't what the 600 Club is about. It's about respecting eachother's opinion/s, and debating with intelligence. But I don't see that.

I disagree, that we are required to respect the opinion of others. We might tolerate it, but if it is not worthy of respect, then why pretend to do it? For example, I might tolerate the verbal blabber of a religious fundermentalist, but will not pretend to respect it, if I do not believe that it is based on any kind of reality.

Quote:
I see people being dismissive to others.

That is the way that I personally handle "flame wars" between posters. I dismiss it, and ignore it. Unless it is done with wit, and for fun, it bores me, and I couldn't care less.
Same thing with outlandish claims, and idiotic posts. For example, the discussion regarding the Joy Of Satan site. I couldn’t care less about them, so I “dismiss” the whole discussion. (I guess, up until this post that is.)
I believe that it is a complement, if someone answers another persons post with a thoughtful response, even if they disagree with it. At least they have taken the time to read it, and given enough thought to it to respond. So just because someone disagrees with another person, that doesn’t constitute disrespect.

Quote:
Honestly, when are you going to grow up? A rhetorical question that most probably doesn't have an answer. I mean, come on -- I'm 19 for fucks sake and some of you are old enough to be my parents and I have to tell YOU to grow up? That's a tad ridiculous. Pathetic..

If someone is old enough to be ones parents, and the younger one tells them to grow up, then that might be a sign of immaturity. At 19, most people and I mean 99 percent of them, lack enough life experience to know much of what they are talking about. Nothing beats life experience. One can read all the books ever written, watch every show on the history chanel and such, but non of that will ever equal having lived life, and learned from it. Granted, there are some, who have lived, but never learned.
However, what a younger person might consider useless drivel from an elder, might just be what that elder learned through life experience from having made mistakes, and have adjusted their thought process from it.

Quote:
Whatever happend to respecting the rights and beliefs of others?

That is a perfect example of what I have written above here. Through life experience, I have learned that we do NOT have ANY rights. What we believe to be “rights” are merely privileges, which may be at anytime, taken away from us by those with more power. So nothing has happened to your rights, and the respect of them; perhaps you never had it.

Some privileges (rights) might be earned, they may be granted, or fought for, but don't fool yourself to think, that you or I, are born with them. That is the kind of idea that people who live in Fairy Tale dellusions attempt to convince others of.

#5566 - 03/13/08 09:24 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: Asmedious]
TheMask Offline

I havent seen that much "n00bs" on this site to be honest, other then a few badly spelled retarded posts. It doesnt seem to happen often but then again - I havent been here for long.

I dont quite get what is expected of me, reading this thread it sounds like you have to give a indredicly thoughtful response to every thing that you reply to. I contribute in any way i can and i dont mind writing posts that arent filosofical.
I am here to learn and perhaps socialize with people who share some values of my taste.

#5567 - 03/13/08 09:39 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: TheMask]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
I dont quite get what is expected of me, reading this thread it sounds like you have to give a indredicly thoughtful response to every thing that you reply to. I contribute in any way i can and i dont mind writing posts that arent filosofical.

Don’t sweat the small stuff.
I don’t think any of us have “The Answer” to life and its meaning, only some bits and pieces which we have picked up on our journey.

This may be an old cliche, but it works. Just be yourself, say what you feel that you want.

If someone should say negative things about your opinions, ideas or questions, keep in mind that it is those things they are questioning, and not attacking you personally, because to do so, would be presumptuous, since no one can really know you as the person whom you truly are, from a couple of posts on a website.

If nothing else, just remember to use sun tan lotion when out in the sun, then you should be fine.

#5568 - 03/13/08 10:04 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: Asmedious]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
? I bet you're not even a real Mason Da Vinci?
Grand Lodge of Australia huh?
Hey, Zeph ur right, he even uses the same avatar as he does at his site:

http://www.ordellani.com/showthread.php?tid=45

Edited by LUCIFERIFIC (03/13/08 10:21 PM)

~~352~~

#5569 - 03/13/08 10:05 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: Jeseth]
DaVinci Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeseth
I think I do a decent job of tolerating people, no matter how stupid they might be, but if I don't respect someone's views on an issue, I won't pretend to. I still don't verbally attack anyone though, unless they've earned it by purposely posting ignorant comments. I haven't been here very long, but I haven't noticed anyone posting things like, "You're a fucking losser! ahaha! LOL" too often.

I'm not upset by your post, but I feel like it's too generalized. At a glance, it looks like very few people act in the way which you described.

Additionally, my posts are usually not as detailed as I'd like to make them, since I'm often posting while at work or just before bed. I try to summarize my views as best as I can with the time that I have.

I've seen nothing but well-thought out and productive posts from you. I apologise if this seems to be directed at everybody, because it is not. For example: this post is directed at rob_church, Zephyrgirl and a few lurkers.

#5571 - 03/13/08 10:13 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: ZephyrGirl]
DaVinci Offline

Quote:
LOL. Funny how there was alot less of that happening before you turned up in your current 'alter-ego'. It's been your presence here, a rather slimy untrustworthy presence, that has caused alot of what you are complaining about. It's because you are not who you say you are and some of us have a knack for knowing this, and we question you, and you don't like it because you have no truth behind what you say. Now you've finally worked out Xear's name, you use it like he's your friend when in truth your only ally is TC, who is going to feel really stupid for having trusted you.

What you may feel from my presence is only based on what you believe, not what is necessarily the truth. I've never denied being Ordellani -- and I've never lied. You choose to believe theory from fact, but that is your decision and I won't attempt to convince you otherwise. I used Rick's name out of respect for his website. If you believe that I'm attempting to imply him as being a mate, then you are clearly mistake.

Quote:
You spend just over a month here and parade around like a peacock declaring that you're not a Satanist, and wanting to admonish all and sundry that dare to question what you are really all about. Only for us to find out that this is your number two account on here, your other one discarded, not because you were banned, oh no, only it seems because not enough respect was given to you for your liking.

People don't need to show me respect; but what they do need to learn -- and not just at me, but everybody -- is tolerance and benefit of the doubt. You act as though because I once had a previous account that I am untrustworthy; that I have some-kind of changed "alter-ego" -- but if you look at the posts contained within the previous account, you'll notice no change.

Quote:
If the log in times for both your 'alter-egos' are anything to go by, you were only away for one month. Check it out for yourselves everybody. HERE

I returned 3 months ago.

Quote:
Australian troops have been doing tours of Iraq for 6 month stints, so you need to come up with a better lie Matthew ;-)

You couldn't be more wrong. My name is not Matthew and, like I have explained, I will never disclose my real name on the Internet. Australian Troops no longer do 6 month tours, it can be extended upon the current situation and voluntary tours are also allowed so long as it is approved by the Department of Defence.

Quote:
I'm sorry Rick if this is pissing you off, but quite frankly having to listen to this guys unfounded claims of granduer is unbearable. I think I've said all I have to say on the matter however. If the people of this board want to beleive the crap coming out of DaVinci's fingertips then go ahead, but I personally have already lost a fair bit of respect for TC for falling for it and anyone else that continues to beleive his tripe will similarly loose my respect. It is after all MY RESPECT to give and take as I please and not something I have to justify to a 19 would be.

What makes you think anyone believes what you say? Anyone here could be stating they are someone when infact they might be clearly the opposite. But who they are does not reflect on their productiveness and sincerity within this website. Again, it all comes back to your definitions and what you believe is the truth, but is not necessarily the truth.

#5572 - 03/13/08 10:22 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: Asmedious]
DaVinci Offline

Quote:
I disagree, that we are required to respect the opinion of others. We might tolerate it, but if it is not worthy of respect, then why pretend to do it? For example, I might tolerate the verbal blabber of a religious fundermentalist, but will not pretend to respect it, if I do not believe that it is based on any kind of reality.

That's an interesting point. However, if one religious fundamentalist can respect your opinion, would you inturn respect his purely on a needed basis to gain personal advancement?

Quote:
That is the way that I personally handle "flame wars" between posters. I dismiss it, and ignore it. Unless it is done with wit, and for fun, it bores me, and I couldn't care less.
Same thing with outlandish claims, and idiotic posts. For example, the discussion regarding the Joy Of Satan site. I couldn’t care less about them, so I “dismiss” the whole discussion. (I guess, up until this post that is.)
I believe that it is a complement, if someone answers another persons post with a thoughtful response, even if they disagree with it. At least they have taken the time to read it, and given enough thought to it to respond. So just because someone disagrees with another person, that doesn’t constitute disrespect.

That doesn't necessarily mean posts that are idiotic or slandering. I mean real opinions, well-thoughtout discussions -- alot are dismissive to opinions simply because they don't align with their own.

Quote:
If someone is old enough to be ones parents, and the younger one tells them to grow up, then that might be a sign of immaturity. At 19, most people and I mean 99 percent of them, lack enough life experience to know much of what they are talking about. Nothing beats life experience. One can read all the books ever written, watch every show on the history chanel and such, but non of that will ever equal having lived life, and learned from it. Granted, there are some, who have lived, but never learned.
However, what a younger person might consider useless drivel from an elder, might just be what that elder learned through life experience from having made mistakes, and have adjusted their thought process from it.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing can replace the lessons learned through life experience alone. But in saying that; some elders may teach you things that you could not learn from books and the Internet -- but some still act like children and have the easily-aggrivated temper of a 3 year-old.

Quote:
That is a perfect example of what I have written above here. Through life experience, I have learned that we do NOT have ANY rights. What we believe to be “rights” are merely privileges, which may be at anytime, taken away from us by those with more power. So nothing has happened to your rights, and the respect of them; perhaps you never had it.

I think it does also depend on alot on your location. The United States has seen more historical movements campigning for the rights, whereas Austraia has been "gifted" (unusual word, but all I could think of) to have these rights incorporated from past Governments and allowing us the freedom of choice. Look at voting for instance: it's not mandatory in the United States -- if it was, more people would get their say. The rights are there, it's just many people choose not to use them.

#5574 - 03/13/08 10:25 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: TheMask]
DaVinci Offline

Quote:
I havent seen that much "n00bs" on this site to be honest, other then a few badly spelled retarded posts. It doesnt seem to happen often but then again - I havent been here for long.

I am here to learn and perhaps socialize with people who share some values of my taste.

Absolutely nothing is expected of you. Just be yourself -- which you have been -- and you'll find you'll gain respect based simply on that. You've contributed quite largely since you created your account, and again, I've seen well thoughout and good thought-provoking posts from you. You're natural in your ways, and I certainly respect that.

#5575 - 03/13/08 10:27 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
DaVinci Offline

Truly outstanding detective work.

I make a typing error and unfortunate mistake with my words, and here I am being accused of being a liar. Funny, I've seen the girl in your avatar before..

Yes. Fantastic. You discovered my website and that I use the same avatar. Please point out exactly where within this website where I have denied owning the previous account.

#5582 - 03/13/08 11:06 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: DaVinci]
TheMask Offline

Originally Posted By: Asmedious
 Quote:

Don’t sweat the small stuff.
I don’t think any of us have “The Answer” to life and its meaning, only some bits and pieces which we have picked up on our journey.

This may be an old cliche, but it works. Just be yourself, say what you feel that you want.

If someone should say negative things about your opinions, ideas or questions, keep in mind that it is those things they are questioning, and not attacking you personally, because to do so, would be presumptuous, since no one can really know you as the person whom you truly are, from a couple of posts on a website.

If nothing else, just remember to use sun tan lotion when out in the sun, then you should be fine.

Oh, by all means. Thanks for the tip. Thats just the impression i got from reading the starting post.

And i dont thinks thats going to be a problem. ^^ Im not exactly the tanning type.

Originally Posted By: DaVinci
 Quote:

Absolutely nothing is expected of you. Just be yourself -- which you have been -- and you'll find you'll gain respect based simply on that. You've contributed quite largely since you created your account, and again, I've seen well thoughout and good thought-provoking posts from you. You're natural in your ways, and I certainly respect that.

Why, thank you very much. Like i said its just the impression that i got from the first post and i can say that i dont have that impression much anymore.

#5583 - 03/13/08 11:13 PM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: TheMask]
DaVinci Offline

Originally Posted By: TheMask
Why, thank you very much. Like i said its just the impression that i got from the first post and i can say that i dont have that impression much anymore.

Not a problem. \:\)

#5601 - 03/14/08 07:08 AM Re: Tolerance & Respect [Re: DaVinci]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
Honestly, I disagree DaVinci. I would say that the intelligent posting is still very much the focus of this forum. A few people like rob_church and ta2zz have always been a little overbearing and I don't particually like either of them. Zeph on the other hand I'm compelled to defend, she makes a fair contribution to this community.

I'm more inclined to agree with Asmedious. We are generally tolerant people but I am far from respective of other peoples beliefs and opinions. I listen but that's about it. I give respect only when it's earned however I find I'm more swayed towards the opinions of people here. This forum has served well as a haven of intellectual discussion so I tend to show more respect to the opinions and ideas presented here.

I think this is a little more personal than you realise DaVinci, people for some reason have decided you are this weeks punching bag and quite frankly I don't care why. I think it's childish and pathetic that people want to cause a damn argument over this.

Now, just a few points I want to clarify.

1. All commonwealth armed forces have methods by which people can join units and regiments in foriegn countries for an extended period of a few weeks, even when that regiment if there for in excess of 6 months. If this didn't happen my job would simply not work, although granted normally even a TA soilder goes away for about 2 months if on a specific op. (Oh, and often they provide satelite links to the internet).

2. I am no-ones ally but my own. I trust no-one on here but myself to tell the truth. I DON'T GIVE A SHIT! I have no reason to disbelieve anyone. I also have no reason to believe anyone. I am willfully agnostic of the situation if you will. People seem to think I would be willing to forget the many convosations both on the forum and in the chat room that I've had with DaVinci because they pull up some psudo-hidden, almost-information that is supposidly a bad thing. I see no such thing. I see people having a pointless argument on the internet. If you want to show me less respect for this, for not joining in and hurling faeces at a fellow member of the site just because all the other monkeys are doing it then fine. You respect is thinly veiled and not a value to me anyway. I prefer to judge people based on my own experiences, not the slanderous comments of the many.

3. Using peoples real names on the internet is really quite confusing and irritating. It is impossible to decipher for anyone new to the site and it just breeds a level of elitism is many people. I will continue to call Xear by his username. I know his real name but it's not my place to use it, he introduced himself to me as Xear. As for the name Matthew. If he says it's not his name, it's not his fucking name, DEAL!

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.