Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#56235 - 06/25/11 06:57 AM New York Legalizes Gay Marriage
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
"Gay couples and proponents of gay rights have a reason to celebrate tonight, as the New York State Senate has passed a bill that allows same-sex marriage.

New York will be the sixth, and largest, state in the union to adopt gay marriage. Governor Cuomo signed the bill into law at 11:15pm on Friday, which means the law will take effect on July 24, 2011.

The decision, which passed 33-29, was the culmination of weeks of contentious debate and negotiations between Governor Cuomo and the GOP-controlled Senate. After the bill passed in the Assembly, it was unclear if the bill had secured enough votes to pass in the Senate. When a few notable undecideds joined the cause -- including Republican Roy McDonald who famously defended his decision, saying 'fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing' -- the scale in favor of gay marriage seemed to tip.

Gay rights advocates are hoping the vote will galvanize the movement around the country and help it regain momentum after an almost identical bill was defeated here in 2009 and similar measures failed in 2010 in New Jersey and this year in Maryland and Rhode Island.

'We are leaders and we join other proud states that recognize our families and the battle will now go on in other states,' said Sen. Thomas Duane, a Democrat.

Though New York is a relative latecomer in allowing gay marriage, it is considered an important prize for advocates, given the state's size and New York City's international stature and its role as the birthplace of the gay rights movement, which is considered to have started with the Stonewall riots in Greenwich Village in 1969.

A huge street party erupted outside the Stonewall Inn Friday night, with celebrants waving rainbow flags and dancing after the historic vote. They included Sarah Ellis, who has been in a six-year relationship with her partner, Kristen Henderson, said the measure would enable them to get married in the fall. They have twin toddlers and live in Sea Cliff on Long Island.
" (Source; post above edited for grammar)

Z.

#56237 - 06/25/11 09:04 AM Re: New York Legalizes Gay Marriage [Re: Zophos]
Hegesias Offline

Ask: Why would one want to get married? Answer: Because we love one another so completely.

If this is so, then I would assume both partners would be making an effort every day to make the relationship stimulating, a friendship where the passions can enjoy themselves. Therefore who's to say that with all this effort going on one would feel the need to be contented with not having to?

Where is the affirmed value in place of what was devalued of the religious vows?

There are many other deeds one can do to gain trust.

The noble cause of marriage that I can see would be for it to help the female partner feel secure, financially, emotionally, hence, the female is not exposed to stress in any way, to bare children in a safe and secure environment, knowing that the male is legally bound to support her. And if the relationship meets an end, the ring is also a safety deposit that can be sold to help support the children while the abandoned female can rearrange working two jobs.

I apologise if I have missed something vital but the topic is too difficult for me to understand more deeply but in my worldview the world is nothing but powerplay, so if gay people are hurt or emotionally traumatised by Christians then they ought not to attempt to devalue the religious vows in the first place. This is because somebodies sexuality is not something that necessarily has to be paraded about the streets as something relevant.

It seems to be a kind of cacoethes; the unnecessary and needless urge to prove one is fantastical and special by means of homosexuality preferences, in spite of irrelevancy. To pose a burden on their surroundings with unnecessary showing off, theatrical mannerisms. This can be observed about the gay community as if to make a stereotype that all gay men would somehow be non masculine and act theatrically. I say this because there is no need to hide ones sexuality nor parade it for reaction in a political way. Those who are alpha often rely on somatic body language to attract the opposite sex, this has nothing to do with wanting acceptance from society.

Whether it is legal or not, if two people love one another then that's the reality, there is no debating about it. Sounds like further behaviour relating to Christianity's oppressive values making people act in further needless ways. Why? In opposition to the values but doing so in an assimilated fashion, they are still bound by them. To attempt to solidify a relationship from outside sources is only emerging a truth that internal efforts are towards frailty.

#56238 - 06/25/11 10:23 AM Re: New York Legalizes Gay Marriage [Re: Hegesias]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
Hegesias, it is true that there are many things besides marrying that couples can do to gain trust and express their love in a meaningful and lasting way. However, marriage is an important step in a relationship for many people. The “noble cause” of marriage you mentioned is valid. To me gay marriage is a civil rights issue, plain and simple. Gay couples should have the same rights that straight couples enjoy. I cannot think of one good reason that gays should not be allowed to marry. I think it is only a matter of time until the Supreme Court validates this, and gay marriage becomes the law of the land.

As for gay pride parades and “the unnecessary and needless urge to prove one is fantastical and special by means of homosexuality preferences,” I don’t see any harm in it. The gay community is getting together and having some fun and sending a message that they refuse to be treated as second-class citizens. Those who don’t approve of gay pride parades don’t need to attend. Do the parades reinforce gay stereotypes? Yes. But I think most people recognize them as stereotypes. Lighten up and enjoy the show.

#56240 - 06/25/11 12:24 PM Re: New York Legalizes Gay Marriage [Re: William Wright]
Meph9 Offline

You must remember that marriage in American culture has tremendous financial and legal implications, not just religion.

In truth the gov't need not form any sort of legal opinion about marriage and it to churches/temples/cults... to operate effectively. I look forward to seeing measures like this pass in the future so that the topic can no longer be a partisan destraction. The who want to keep the controversy alive are those who oppose it, because xtian radicals like all radicals seek to annihihlate anything that doesn't fit into their world view.

#56242 - 06/25/11 12:47 PM Re: New York Legalizes Gay Marriage [Re: Zophos]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If nothing else, New York has taken a practical step towards ending the Great Recession.

#56243 - 06/25/11 12:49 PM Re: New York Legalizes Gay Marriage [Re: Meph9]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
With this bill passing, you will now be able to see your same sex partner in the hospital. You can make critical care decisions. You can pass on apartments if one of you dies so you wont be thrown out into the street. The dead partners family just can't waltz into your home and throw you out if you partner dies.

It gives you a legal leg to stand on in regards to medical, financial, and legal recourse, so that the family can't come in and take away everything that you and your partner worked years to build up together. You would be able to claim death benefits from social security to help burying your partner. You can take care of each others children and raise them if one of you dies without fear of someone coming to snatch them then fight you in a court case over them.

But most of all, you now have the right to be miserable going through a divorce just like everyone else.

M

#56244 - 06/25/11 01:30 PM Re: New York Legalizes Gay Marriage [Re: William Wright]
Hegesias Offline

I use Satanic philosophy against the images that was once my own conditioning. Identifying as Heathen, affirming the tangible, and I strive to exemplify the Nietzschean maxim, valuing perfectly natural human functioning by philosophical and ideological ideals. If I were to declare my affections for Greek women would this be worth a public protest? I can't see how gays are anything special worth protesting about as marriage is between a man and a woman, if gays want to be legally bound to one another call it something new with a new set of values made clear?

The negative stereotypes perpetuated by liberals have nothing to do with my personal weltanschauung. This does not prevent me from exemplifying the ideals in my personal life and valuing others close to me. There is no need for me to boycott or even be hostile to people of other races, creeds, sexualities, without an individual first defining himself suitable by his very deeds indicative of subjugation, direct or otherwise poorly disguised. Many will automatically assume otherwise, but that is to be expected due to being carriers of the infection of pity, dehumanised guilt complex, passive nihilism spoon fed to them by Judeo-Christian society.

That being said.

A gay parade is a disguised form of the will to power that ought to expect opposition instead of acceptance, there is not anything wrong with this expression. But they ought to expect opposition and be able to affirm value in what they are doing and be able to express why a gay marriage is of value other than to create an ambiguous tone about which the wise will only view a poorly disguised passive aggression attempting to exalt the whimpish causation stereotype. This is an empty stage for traditional religious values to assert their ethos with strength. A gay parade and gay rights protest has not a substantial ethos to match hardcore fundamentalism, except to play on pity and equality blackmailing of the values which the fundamentalists are all to adept at manipulating at a fundamental level themselves.

Gay marriage is a sure way to undermine the religious values but at the same time does not reassert value in their place, nor strengthen or preserve what is to value through a revaluation. This is passive nihilism triumphing over active nihilism. And a good example would to be the triumph of passive nihilism over active nihilism as portrayed in zombie movies where the dead walk the earth aimlessly, turning the living, to their way of things.

We, Heathen, test ourselves here and now with what is before us. Why? Because the world itself is the will to power, and if a any want to subjugate, devalue, the values of the Overman; the demonisation of masculinity, then let that nay-sayer meet a response in the form of value reaffirmed. An attitude to life which goes forward through the mist of passive nihilism, there, warriors, spear-heads become discernible through the mist, gleaming towards the great noontide.

Liberalism is characteristically Judeo-Christian, a substratum of passive nihilism. They are chronically afraid of their own shadow in Jungian terms and project this negativity and lack of value over those who have no time for them. Let my only negation be to look away. I am not sorry. Resentment and pity are things to be avoided and when somebody imposes that I apologise for things unrelated to me, then I shall say "no", for I am too busy affirming value in life.

For some, Nietzschean philosophy is to harshly primordial in the sense of the tenderness and ferocity that it takes to look into the mirror and have no regrets. All I can do is try to reach my limits, this is an individual quest, it won't lead to a supreme state of humanity through subjugating those who are exemplary of such, for the glance of the bestower is honour conferred enough for nature's virtue is insatiable for desiring to bestow. I believe sexuality is power, and that the Overman or Overwoman (yes Overwoman) always becomes stronger, more evil, and more profound, more beautiful.

I think it's simply because of the lack of cultural, philosophical, and psychological health, ideology in society as a whole, that causes me to assert value that was exemplified by the primal, core, Indo-European, Old Norse and Heathen, balanced matriarchal and patriarchal ruling societies where primary unit was tribal. The re-establishment of the feminine, is not about women ruling society, as to be positively feminine, a woman cannot be anti-masculine, nor can a man be anti-feminine. These opposites honour, embrace and enjoy one another, and value their differences, exemplify them and affirm life with furious love for one another.

Nietzsche ensues a dialectic between Dionysus and Apollo, ancient Greek archetypes who represent what is "Dionysian unbridled emotion and passion", and "Apollonian reason, rationality". By the expression of the will to power, we can exemplify the Nietzschean maxim by daring to be ourselves.

What is this that masculinity is confronted with? His extreme opposite? No, not the feminine creature, but with what appears to be Zarathustra's ape who is to the detriment of the nobler type.

I am not against gay people, nor for, as such seems irrelevant, until it becomes an issue of gays demonising masculinity and femininity such as Judeo-Christianity does. Liberals, utilitarians, and egalitarians can stay off my lawn, it's clearly marked.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.