Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#58705 - 08/29/11 02:25 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: Squiddles]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Squiddles
LOL. Now that's just crazy talk.

You're right: I need to be more careful what I say so that people won't think I'm weird or something.

Anyway, here's a nice, scholarly discussion of this burning question.

Somewhat more on thread-topic, here's a fun book which by now has much more contemporary company:

Originally Posted By: Temple of Set Reading List
22M. Moon Madness by E.L. Abel. Greenwich, Conn.: Fawcett Publications #0-449-13697-3, 1976. (TOS-3) MA: “This is one of the more comprehensive of a number of ‘lightweight, semi-scientific’ books discussing the Moon’s various influences - from mythological to physiological - on the human organism. Included are chapters/ sections on time, blood, sex, women, maternity, plants, diseases, mental illness (including lycanthropy), suicide, lunambulism, electricity, and magnetism.”

#58709 - 08/30/11 12:08 AM Re: Paranormal? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Squiddles Offline
stranger

Loc: California
It is an unusual item that has zero reviews on Amazon.com, but I admit it sounds like an interesting read.

#59028 - 09/10/11 12:36 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: Dimitri]
IGODSATANAS Offline
lurker

Loc: flint,Mi.
Remember the body is a Battery. The mind as well have powerful functions, yet we use only a small amount. The Body is not carnal, thus we live to adept and become a free being. Its the Mind that allows us to reach and understand our freedoms.
So the Paranormal is the essence of our own energy still reaching our carnal nature.

See "Grave Encounters" the Movie. Its good, enjoy it.

Ave Satanas

#59033 - 09/10/11 06:52 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: IGODSATANAS]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

Remember the body is a Battery.

This isn't the matrix bub.

Quote:

The mind as well have powerful functions, yet we use only a small amount.

Old wives tale. Mind is just a name we give to certain brain functions, and we utilize 100% of our brains.

Quote:

The Body is not carnal, thus we live to adept and become a free being. Its the Mind that allows us to reach and understand our freedoms.

Did somebody forget to flush? Anyway, the body is made of meat. I don't think you know what carnal means.

Quote:

So the Paranormal is the essence of our own energy still reaching our carnal nature.

Platitude much? Energy is a name we give to the capacity to do work, an abstract. It isn't a physical thing, nor is the term itself relevant unless in contrast to something physical. New age shit like this makes me barf.

#59294 - 09/20/11 01:58 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: LeftHandOvGod]
Ashley Corinne Offline
stranger

Loc: Utah
I have an interesting relationship with the paranormal. Practically speaking, I'm a skeptic. I hold an atheistic world-view and I only believe in theories that have been verified by evidence. That being said, I love the paranormal! I love watching ghost hunting shows, I listen to Coast to Coast AM almost every night, I'm a fan of Ancient Aliens, and I even watch a fair amount of Christian TV. Although I don't believe in the reality of the paranormal, I love to excite my imagination. For me, the paranormal adds spice to my life.

#59353 - 09/21/11 09:49 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: Ashley Corinne]
RAIDER Offline

Loc: PA
I have to say, science has defined a number of different types of energy. One example; ENERGY FROM THE SUN
"after passing through the Earth's atmosphere, most of the Sun's energy is in the form of visible light and infrared light radiation.
Plants convert the energy in sunlight into chemical energy ( sugars and starches) through the process of photosynthesis.
All plants' energy comes from the Sun- plants take the Sun's energy, and they are eaten by animals, humans, etc..as food. The animals then eat each other for the energy."
Ashley,
I like that you put Ancient Aliens and Christian TV in the same sentence. I'm partial to movies about killer dolls and puppets.

#59369 - 09/22/11 09:55 AM Re: Paranormal? [Re: RAIDER]
when7iseleven Offline

Loc: High Peak, UK
Far from being abstract energy is a physical thing that can be measured. Everything is energy & energy is everything:

E=mc2 unifies mass & energy as being differnt manifestations of the same thing.

#76393 - 05/17/13 05:00 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: LeftHandOvGod]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: LeftHandOvGod
As the majority of us are Satanists by LaVey's definition, how do you view the paranormal? I know that this is an Atheistic religion, but remember, LaVey was a paranormal investigator at one point. (Despite the fact that they were mostly nut calls). Please, share your thoughts.

I tend to view the Paranormal as a perspective. I don't personally subscribe to it. Paranormal investigators seem to believe that unexplained events exceed normal parameters of Objective Reality. Parapsychology seems to represent a body of study within the Paranormal dealing with 'Mind' vs. brain, too much of it is quack Science for my taste. I'll read articles/journals as a matter of morbid curiosity. One of my favorite Magazines is Skeptical Inquiry Magazine. It takes many of these claims of the Paranormal head-on, often refuting the so-called expert assertions.

Some animals previously considered to be Cryptids have been discovered, classified and added to the ever expanding catalog of species. So, in some regard Academics could consider these folks the red-headed step-children of process.

My podcast is syndicated on a Paranormal Radio station, they don't seem to mind that I'm a harsh skeptic. One of the station's owners is a Cryptozoologist. He admits he doesn't buy the Big Foot claims, but he seems to have a passion for finding the proof for sightings of other creatures. I'll admit, I can't listen to most of the other hosts radio shows that focus on Paranormal investigations and discovery. The listener stats boggle the mind. Seems there's a large target audience for that sort of thing.

Edited by SIN3 (05/17/13 05:02 PM)

#76415 - 05/18/13 01:42 AM Re: Paranormal? [Re: Dimitri]
Mistress Babylon Offline
pledge

Loc: Northern California
Dead is Dead.

Please refrain from making one line posts. Explanation available on the front page.

Edited by Fnord (05/18/13 08:26 AM)
Edit Reason: info/warning

#78087 - 07/15/13 12:16 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: LeftHandOvGod]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
I think the 'paranormal' has kept people captivated and stimulates them to spend their cash on gadgets, mediums and the like. The skeptics were a natural progression during the age of Spiritism, that end also has a market as well. So you have two-sides to the same coin: For/Against.

People stay plugged into television shows waiting for that 'proof' of Invisible Beings, or for someone to debunk a claim.

Skeptical Inquiry Magazine did a fairly decent article on beliefs and Invisible Beings:
Link to article

I think the 'Paranormal' is a commodity and its an easy sell.

I didn't buy the magazine (it was given to me) but I had a paid subscription for years to SI Magazine. So CSI gets some of my cash on occasion.

Generally speaking, the 'para-normal' then becomes a catch-all for the unexplained, and eldritch events; they are a 'special' sort of event.

In example, many cryptids become discovered species, so it gives people 'hope' that some of the more fantasy-type are real too! Aliens!

The field of 'para-psychology' is trying to gain solid ground to be considered more credible (Scientific Backlash aside). Proving that humans have super-powers is like refusing to admit that these qualities of humanity are terrestrial vs. celestial.

It goes without saying that Earth is full of Space-junk, and it's highly likely that elements and conditions in place to spark life here may very well have been related to an astronomical event; though it doesn't prove we are aliens that crawled out of the Sea. At least not in the sense of arriving here in a spacecraft and populating the Earth.

I think it would be pretty cool if say an Alien Nation scenario played out but that's fantasy. The reality is, 'other life' is probably like a space shrimp or something similar.

#78105 - 07/15/13 04:42 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: LeftHandOvGod]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I refer to myself as an interested skeptic.

Ghost stories seem to me to be much like religion. Religious folk have an experience that might not fall into the category of 'normal' and they quickly ascribe it to 'god'.

Paranormal believers walk into a cold room and immediately ascribe that chilliness to their dead aunt Tilly vying for inter dimensional attention.

That said, I think people do have weird/inexplicable experiences. The difference, to me, is in how those experiences are interpreted.

I like John Keel's (The Mothman Prophecies) perspective on weird stuff... he says that all of the stuff that's encompassed under the umbrella of 'paranormal' has been occurring and reported on for so long a time (back to cave paintings) that such things are actually part of the normal experience of life.

The least interesting aspect to me are cryptids. That said, I think one day Bigfoot/Sasquatch will bear out as a real animal (I've gone deep into this one for many years and have good reason for believing the way I do).

I think SIN makes a good point, there is a fleecing of the sheep element that's almost irresistible to the Satanic type of personality. I've thought of learning Tarot and making a new career for myself \:\)

#78108 - 07/15/13 07:06 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: LeftHandOvGod]
jim haines Offline
stranger

As a theistic Dark Pagan my philosophy does leave the possibility for DISINCARNATES as we sometimes call ghosts. But think about this for a moment. A lot of these OLD DECAYING HAUNTS are in fact moldering! Could indeed these experiences be the result of mold? Certain mold does have a negative effect on the nervous system. Could some of these sightings be the result of hallucinations from bad mold? When I was very young I most certainly did see a haint in the form of a ball of light. As I matured I realized that house was a MOLD FEST! So It may have been a reaction from that.
THAT
POWER!!!!

#78117 - 07/15/13 10:02 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: SIN3]
Kemble Offline

I think it was Lawrence Leshan that really hit it on the head with the idea that conforming parapsychology to the rigors of the other sciences can be a handicap. You don't really get a good idea of the natural behavior of tigers in cages. But -- it seems parapsychology today is as rigorous as the other sciences and there is some positive track record of 'psi' phenomena. How convincing that is depends on a person's mileage.

Fnord, that's a good one from John Keel. These experiences happen daily yet get unconsciously sidelined. Sheldrake is an example of someone that stopped taking these things for granted and developed a better sense of exploration of it via the scientific method. Reminds me also of magician Doc Shiels who observed that after a good mentalist act the audience becomes much more receptive to genuine psychic phenomena -- implying perhaps an unconscious impasse with this stuff.

I still like the book Sorcery by psychologist J. Finley Hurley. It basically puts the concept of 'telepathy' as the probable foundation of what shamans and sorcerers 'do' behind their village mojo.

#78120 - 07/15/13 10:41 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: Kemble]
timidlady Offline
stranger

I love the paranormal. I like that there are things I can't explain. I have tons of them in my life. It's like a fun game. It's a puzzle without a box so I can't see the picture. Sometimes there's just no way I can logic things in my life. I do try. It's fun to try and science things, too. But I guess it's important to remember I'm not a physicist so I would probably ooooooo light! Where they would be: hey ya! I've theoried that. What's paranormal to me isn't so paranormal to someone else. I get that. The idea of paranormal is effected by reasonable intelligence. I guess sometimes I might seem sorta dumb to some people. Sometimes I wish someone would explain my paranormal things. Then I guess mostly sometimes I'd like to hang onto them. They seem special to me.
#78123 - 07/15/13 11:08 PM Re: Paranormal? [Re: timidlady]
Kemble Offline

You should probably have a good evidence-based procedure to see if your assumptions are useful or you could be just playing around with pareidolia.
Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.