Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#56901 - 07/15/11 11:59 AM Underground Publications
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
Greetings!

I'm interrested in some Underground Publications. (ie. Satan's Sweet Slavery) I have a few issues from the 90's and would like to know if any are still about and worth reading?

Satan's Sweet Slavery was an excellent zine in that it had band write up's, personal interviews, fan questions, various writtings submitted by subscribers, and it was all tongue-in-cheek. It was a lot like the 600C but in print and was of course a good read.

I checked the back posts within this thread and the last mention of a zine was from 2008. I am sure they come and go as they're "printed out of someones basement" so to speak.

Thanks ahead of time.

#56908 - 07/15/11 02:39 PM Re: Underground Publications [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
I'm not sure whether this is what you have in mind, but it's amusing anyway. In case anyone's curious, the photo in The Church of Satan of Anton LaVey hanging out in the 6114 Ritual Chamber came from the Jaybird magazine here with his photo on the cover, a copy of which issue Nikolas Schreck provided [and I have no idea of the backstory behind that].

#56912 - 07/15/11 06:13 PM Re: Underground Publications [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Thule Offline
temp banned
pledge

Who produces this? how could something be printed out of someone's basement (no central production team?) It sounds interesting... I never heard of it before

#56931 - 07/15/11 11:19 PM Re: Underground Publications [Re: Thule]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
I'm not sure whether this is what you have in mind, but it's amusing anyway. In case anyone's curious, the photo in The Church of Satan of Anton LaVey hanging out in the 6114 Ritual Chamber came from the Jaybird magazine here with his photo on the cover, a copy of which issue Nikolas Schreck provided [and I have no idea of the backstory behind that].

Awesome, after a quick peak it appears to be a lot of old and out of print magazines that I will look into and try to get my hands on... thanks!

Originally Posted By: Thule
Who produces this? how could something be printed out of someone's basement (no central production team?) It sounds interesting... I never heard of it before

Well, the editor of the zine, of corpse... for example. Satan's Sweet Slavery ( One I just found on eBay that I already own... ) was a Metal Zine written by Lady SynnLeaha Satana, she was the editor and publisher. Most of it can be done with Photoshop and MS Word. It had real interviews and actual band write up's.. some essays and/or poetry from LHP'ers... It was probably brought to a kinko's and mass produced, but IIRC was not done professionaly.

#56934 - 07/15/11 11:43 PM Re: Underground Publications [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Wicked Satanist Offline

-quick post-

I just added a couple pics of them to the images forum.

#57203 - 07/20/11 06:57 AM Re: Underground Publications [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Weird, no one is into Zines and other related publications? I was sure someone would be privy to this stuff...

#58122 - 08/11/11 04:20 AM Re: Underground Publications [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
I'm assuming you mean mostly underground metal 'zines. I'm familiar with a few, though you're probably already aware of them if you're interested in zines.

Obviously one of the more famous and well known ones is Slayer zine, which was around during the beginning of the black metal second wave. Bazillion Points is publishing a book about the Slayer zine. It promises to be part biography of editor Jon "Metalion" Kristiansen, and part retrospective of the zine's 25 year history, replicating original photos and interviews.

One of the others I'm kind of familiar with is the Sevared zine. I'm pretty sure it used to be a zine, but they're a label/distro now. Sevared Records

Finally, there is The Grimoire of Exalted Deeds. I have a few issues of this. In terms of the range of coverage of bands, it's pretty good, but Bill Zebub's interview style is intentionally absurd which, if nothing else, makes for a little hilarity. It's often more interesting to read the interviewee's responses.

The late, great Metal Maniacs used to have a monthly column dedicated to zines and e-zines called "Zine and Not Heard". It would be a great place to look for more info.

Personally, I never really got much into zines considering the availability of mags like Metal Maniacs, Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles, and Terrorizer, who did an amazing job (particularly MM) of covering the metal underground in an intelligent and informative manner. Since MM went under, I've begun reading Zero Tolerance out of the UK. Much of the writing staff of MM ended up in ZT, and it's an amazing publication, with a high quality of writing; furthermore, many of the staff are also musicians, so they have an insider's perspective, so to speak.

Homo Homini Lupus

#58179 - 08/13/11 08:40 PM Re: Underground Publications [Re: Draculesti]
frank ashby Offline
stranger

Like Satan, I have always made a convenient scapegoat. The police stop me everywhere and order me to buy them breakfast or go to jail. Feel free to check out my new website at http://www.lefthandgnostic.com and see my video of unorthodox Tantra. Just don't tell the police!
-Frank Ashby

Repeated spamming of the boards with your website is deeply frowned upon. I deleted two of your posts for that. Keep it up and you will be banned as well... Morgan

Edited by Morgan (08/13/11 11:09 PM)
Edit Reason: warning/information

#58182 - 08/13/11 09:36 PM Re: Underground Publications [Re: frank ashby]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Excuse me, sir, but you're kinda dribbling poop all over the forum. It might do you some good to make a proper intro thread, beef up your post content a little more, and refrain from pimping your blog every post... (Really, that's what the "signature" feature is for!) Good day to you.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.