Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#57001 - 07/17/11 01:31 PM Time for some Selfish promotion!
Oxus Offline

My Musiq: TaRkHeM

Enjoy, look around, have fun!
Let me know what you think.

#57006 - 07/17/11 02:01 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Well, some of the songs start well and build up pretty nicely.
In other songs I have the feeling you just wanted to have it finished making them a bit sloppy during the whole traject.

Would also be nice to have just that little more information about this project. Solo artist/group, used programs, instruments.... (I'm taking you used a program to compose the songs since the quality of the sound gives away that it is computer-generated).

My first impression: nothing new I haven't heard yet. Ambient/noise is a genre with many facets and my personal liking on it will depend on the song itself and not so much on the artist. On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd give it an average 5.

Edited by Dimitri (07/17/11 02:04 PM)

#57010 - 07/17/11 02:40 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Dimitri]
Thule Offline
temp banned
pledge

I like the website. But when you see "buy track" it should have the price next to it. Rather I have to click "buy" then see the price come up.

The music is neither good nor bad. To be successful with a music project you need to be AMAZING and also have vast resources to put into it. Some guy composing music in his basement is not going to generate a lot of buzz or high sales.

Spiritualism: the tones are flat like normal music. Do you know about solfeggio frequencies? A lot of classical music notes resonate on those frequencies as well. Once you start listening to music that has a more powerful frequency you will see they are far more "healing" and spiritual.

I would suggest rather than flat keyboards or computer sounds, hire an actual classical violinist for some sounds. Use a tibetan healing bowl to generate sounds as well as tuning forks which have been tuned to spiritual vibrations. Somehow combine this in a way which makes music.

Even hiring extremely good singers to do background, ambience, chanting, huming, chorus etc.

For music to get noticed it has to be on an absurdly high level. The tracks you have there would be good "filler" tracks for an album which has some songs on it which are of a higher quality.

It's all a matter of money. If you can afford to hire really good performers and co-writers, and have actual expensive instruments (rather than electronic substitutes) etc. then it probably wouldn't be too hard to make something awesome.

#57033 - 07/17/11 09:41 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Thule]
Oxus Offline

Thank you both for your input, suggestions and general criticism, I will keep them all in mind!
#57048 - 07/18/11 03:43 AM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Daafje666 Offline
pledge

Loc: The Netherlands
Most songs didn't do much for me but Strange Mechanism part I is your best song in my opinion.
I really like the combination of you using rock, melody (guitar solo) and the backmasked sounding vocals.

And as Dimitri has already said, it would be nice indeed to be able to read more information about songs made, instruments etc.

I have really no knowledge of making songs like this at all, so maybe it's a meaningless compliment, but it sounds like a whole lot of work, and certainly require a significant amount of skill to make these small compositions!

Keep up the good work. 7\10

#57060 - 07/18/11 02:06 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Daafje666]
Thule Offline
temp banned
pledge

That is my general point. It mostly isn't worth the effort to make these songs unless its "fun" for you. You will spend a huge amount of effort to simply not impress people.

By contrast if you actually have the piles of money to put forth with about the same amount of effort you probably could impress people, but then will you sell enough copies to recover the money spent? Without good promotion probably not.

This is generally what record labels do (they help promote your work and put it on store shelves).

There's just too much competition out there to be economically viable unless you have the connections or resources.

Contrary to popular belief musician's bread and butter is generally live performances rather than record sales. So doing "electronic" or this background music is probably the least profitable. For one seems like everybody does it, for two there's no money to be made in live performance/gigs etc.

#57068 - 07/18/11 08:41 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Thule]
Oxus Offline

Again, I thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.
Oddly enough I have 2341 views since Thu, 17 Mar 2011 with a little over 1000 of them purchasing a download or two and in some cases the entire collection.

This has led to other work within the occult community on a more personal and satisfying level.

I'd been a professional guitarist for over over 35 years and though I no longer perform, I enjoy creating these pieces and staying home with my family, along with exercising my Black Flame.

I really liked a few of the suggestions and I welcome more criticism and opinion!

#57146 - 07/19/11 10:54 AM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Thule Offline
temp banned
pledge

Impressive. What kind of advertising promotion have you used? It doesn't seem believable that so many people just randomly visit a website out of nowhere (without being linked to it or led to it somehow).

I was really more impressed by the web design than the music though!

#57169 - 07/19/11 09:09 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Thule]
Oxus Offline

Originally Posted By: Thule
Impressive. What kind of advertising promotion have you used? It doesn't seem believable that so many people just randomly visit a website out of nowhere (without being linked to it or led to it somehow).

I was really more impressed by the web design than the music though!
LOL . . . I'm not who I seem to be I guess!
It's not so amazing that people are willing to spend .99 cents for a tune, so I guess it boils down to logistics.

What I do a lot of is have musicians over my place (studio) and I create samples upon samples of them, just playing/singing stuff. Then I sock these samples away in a library until I need them.

I am fortunate to have a good amount of musician friends that are willing to do this . . . of course I provide 'happy' times while they stay here and do pay most of them.

I would really like to expand this and find more intense Work . . . so please keep the input coming (positive/negative, it all helps me)

#57194 - 07/20/11 02:01 AM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Hegesias Offline

I can value your dedication to genuine Left Path creation.

The music has mood, I liked the pieces "Feast of Unas" and "The Forbidden Fruit" mostly for the chord progressions. I liked those two tracks besides the genre being unusual to me. I listened a few times.

Midway of "The Forbidden Fruit" there's an instrumental that sounds like a cross between strings and woodwind, a little discordant and strange, Sumerian-esque, and most effective to contrast the low end that kicks in.

The mixing could do with a boost in low frequencies to bring out what is already there. I ran the music through Peavey 2 x12" speakers. I used SRS soundlabs too. I brought the low frequencies (60-200htz) up a lot, and I merged the vocal range more into the background, added a small amount of reverb, which revealed the sounds as more organic; sounded huge and atmospheric.

#57197 - 07/20/11 03:47 AM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Hegesias]
Hegesias Offline

I sometimes write about music even though to do so is against the music speaking for itself. Kind of odd.

Regarding my own work. The ideologies aim is not to be the most extreme within a scene or in the eyes of others, as to do so would represent a need for acceptance or even worship from a world renounced. The ideology is an expression of the Self (Satan) rejecting the offered universe (God) of which extremism is the consequence to the affirmation of a lacking of freedom, an attempt to evolve into something more.

I never record anything for release, except to play 2nd guitar for other Left Path bands and introduce riffs, but since last year a conception has been in production.

Really it just downplays it all to talk about it. \:\)

Regardless, I would like to hear about the ideas behind your conception. An antiquitous vibe about your music? The song names themselves and overall presentation was Left Path and was a refreshing change to appreciate something quite unusual.

Quite interesting.

#57212 - 07/20/11 01:34 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Hegesias]
Thule Offline
temp banned
pledge

You basically have a large network.
It is quite an accomplishment to sell a large number of tracks simply because of the sheer volume of music that is available out there. At one time I had over 4,000 songs in my collection, most of which I actually paid for and ripped from CDs (most free pirated downloads are low quality sound, though not all).

So yeah it is a big deal when you think of $1 a song. At some point one must limit their choices, unless they have a big income and don't really care about spending money.

What I am interested in myself are the richer tones, unusual changes and times mostly associated with classical music and sometimes these "spiritual" tones or meditation music they sell.

After hearing those tones normal music sounds flat. It's all mostly played in the key of E 4-4 timing with predictable changes, same instruments (guitar, drums, keyboards), etc.

It's all very facinating to read about. There is a power to vibration so definately its better to have such types of music.

At the same time its very difficult to find good high quality examples of such. A lot of classical music sounds like shit because they play it in standard keys rather than the more "off" solfeggio themes. I don't know a lot about making music, but I can hear the differance. When played wrong it is offensive to the ears. Properly its so much more rich than mainstream music.

Some examples are on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4BUzQaCa8

I believe in the background they use a similar frequency on this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ronQLKSY0&feature=fvst

#57214 - 07/20/11 01:58 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Thule]
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
 Originally Posted By: Thule

To be successful with a music project you need to be AMAZING and also have vast resources to put into it. Some guy composing music in his basement is not going to generate a lot of buzz or high sales.

I agree with the first sentence. It does help if one is AMAZING and actually has talent. However I'd like to refute the second sentence with this: http://steeleandrubino.com/

I play drums for these guys. Granted we do not record in a "basement" per se, but we do record in a small den with pro tools I believe it is. We have a decent fan base all over the US.

As long as one has at least some resources and the drive to keep going, there is at least some chance there that the artist will generate some interest as well as a little cash. However, the music does have to sound professional and not low-budget.

Interesting music nontheless from the OP.

#57219 - 07/20/11 02:59 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Lamar]
Oxus Offline

Hegesias, I'll be looking into that low end mix thanks.
The 'Sumerian-esque' passage is my fretless guitar with some effects on it, I tune it to DADGAD.

Quote:
Thule; What I am interested in myself are the richer tones, unusual changes and times mostly associated with classical music and sometimes these "spiritual" tones or meditation music they sell.

After hearing those tones normal music sounds flat. It's all mostly played in the key of E 4-4 timing with predictable changes, same instruments (guitar, drums, keyboards), etc.

It's all very facinating to read about. There is a power to vibration so definately its better to have such types of music.
I utilize an array of 'untraditional' techniques. Like combining unequal tempered instruments and detuned synth sounds.

For what it's worth, on several recordings I created a ritual atmosphere for myself in the attempt to possibly stir up the unconsciousness and so forth. Whether any of this translated to the recording is another thing.

#57237 - 07/20/11 10:12 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
It reminds me of music from Laurie Anderson. Although, her music is a bit more "centered".

And just in case you don't know who she is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPbv2uVY6AY

I have no idea what song was playing when I opened your page the first time but it had a higher pitched computer "ping" in it that about made every nerve in my body want to crawl. The next few that opened up after I re-entered the site...not as bad, just different. Some seemed too overloaded with "extra sounds" and others just sounded like they had no clue what direction the music should "flow", almost scattered. Yes, that's how some of it makes a mind feel....scattered. I have enough ADD all by myself. I don't need music that adds to that.

The bad part is, I think you've got some fun and interesting sounds. The music just feels dis-jointed to me.

Fehhh....to each their own.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.