Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#57280 - 07/21/11 04:51 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Nyte]
Thule Offline
temp banned
pledge

I go online at public places so I haven't been able to actually take a serious listen other than just an overview. So maybe i will find something interesting after that.

About low end music- simple music tends to sell best when marketed and promoted. There's lots of popular music which is only utilizing some very simple low budget techniques but then they promote the hell out of it.

Otherwise I don't see how it would be worth the time put into making the music, considering how expensive amps, recording software etc. is. 1,000 downloads wouldn't even cover costs.

I guess that's why most artists do it because they enjoy it and a little money is extra. it doesn't seem like a reasonable career choice (unless there are assetts available to push it to an extremely high level).

I have met countless extremely talented artists. They are unknowns who don't make much money from it. Talent is a dime a dozen. look at the many thousands of people who compete on American idol or some such show.

Same way making a good song is a dime a dozen. Then again millions of potential customers out there.

#57283 - 07/21/11 06:45 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Thule]
Oxus Offline

Originally Posted By: Thule
I go online at public places so I haven't been able to actually take a serious listen other than just an overview. So maybe i will find something interesting after that.

About low end music- simple music tends to sell best when marketed and promoted. There's lots of popular music which is only utilizing some very simple low budget techniques but then they promote the hell out of it.

Otherwise I don't see how it would be worth the time put into making the music, considering how expensive amps, recording software etc. is. 1,000 downloads wouldn't even cover costs.

I guess that's why most artists do it because they enjoy it and a little money is extra. it doesn't seem like a reasonable career choice (unless there are assetts available to push it to an extremely high level).

I have met countless extremely talented artists. They are unknowns who don't make much money from it. Talent is a dime a dozen. look at the many thousands of people who compete on American idol or some such show.

Same way making a good song is a dime a dozen. Then again millions of potential customers out there.
I never said I was trying to make any money from this, I'm 50 and had been on the road for 35 years as a touring guitarist.

Got the toys already, now I tech for a major online music store.
Really, I'm just interested in creating stuff that appeals to me, if someone else digs it that's cool too.

When you do get a moment, I'd like to hear further opinions on the recordings.

What do you guys think of Lustmord's music during the video'd CoS Black Mass?

Also, from a purely aesthetic angle . . . what could make music more LHP-ish? I know it's a difficult subject, I have been very interested in this lately, and here is the best place to discuss it.

Edited by Oxus (07/21/11 06:52 PM)

#57289 - 07/22/11 02:46 AM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Also, from a purely aesthetic angle . . . what could make music more LHP-ish? I know it's a difficult subject, I have been very interested in this lately, and here is the best place to discuss it.

Technique.
The constant learning process and dedication to improve and/or learn new techniques for your instrument of choice.

On the other hand, it is wrong to call music "LHP-ish" with my given answer since that should already be an automatism.
I guess such a thing, LHP-ish music, is impossible to make since music is a subjective thing. It appeals to certain people who happen to like a sound.

Perhaps something you can consider in calling LHP-ish, is music that is being played with lots of dedication and when playing live should give the audience a feeling you enjoy making your work. I am reminded of anvil this year on Graspop metal meeting. They have set themselves apart just by the relaxed atmosphere they gave away and the random drumsolos just because they liked it.

Edited by Dimitri (07/22/11 02:46 AM)

#57291 - 07/22/11 06:39 AM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Dimitri]
Oxus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
 Quote:

Technique.
The constant learning process and dedication to improve and/or learn new techniques for your instrument of choice.

On the other hand, it is wrong to call music "LHP-ish" with my given answer since that should already be an automatism.
I guess such a thing, LHP-ish music, is impossible to make since music is a subjective thing. It appeals to certain people who happen to like a sound.

Perhaps something you can consider in calling LHP-ish, is music that is being played with lots of dedication and when playing live should give the audience a feeling you enjoy making your work. I am reminded of anvil this year on Graspop metal meeting. They have set themselves apart just by the relaxed atmosphere they gave away and the random drumsolos just because they liked it.
I like the technique concept. As for what would make the music LHP, that's a tough one. It would depend on your definition of LHP, mine is based on Apotheosis, so whatever I can create that reflects my Black Flame and separates my Self from the natural ordering of things I find to be musically LHP.

Thoughts?

Edited by Oxus (07/22/11 06:47 AM)

#57338 - 07/22/11 04:04 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Managor Offline

Renouncing the holy spirit. That's how you make it more LHP.
And really, other then burning crosses and stabbing jesus, anything you do to make it LHP-ish, the RHP groups are going to copy and do it in a RHP way, therefor making it not so LHP.

Quote:
I like the technique concept. As for what would make the music LHP, that's a tough one. It would depend on your definition of LHP, mine is based on Apotheosis, so whatever I can create that reflects my Black Flame and separates my Self from the natural ordering of things I find to be musically LHP.

Thoughts?

I guess anything that would express individualism against anyone except ones self? or that they refuse to bow to a 'god'.

Edited by Managor (07/22/11 04:16 PM)

#57376 - 07/22/11 07:42 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Managor]
Oxus Offline

Hmmm . . . that works lyrically, but I create almost exclusively instrumental musiq, so we're talking vibration, atmosphere, emotion and whatever else.

I switched to a fretless guitar (on some stuff) in order to get those quarter tones, and darker scales (at least I think so) used by Eastern musicians.

Of course these scales sounding 'darker' would be purely subjective to my own ear.

This is a great discussion, I usually get yelled at and sound like a dolt when I try to be philosophical in the main forum, but here I think WE can all formulate something that screams LHP Musiq!

#57894 - 08/01/11 09:21 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Oxus Offline

Another Selfish recording . . . comments?
Unas Unearthed

#61374 - 11/13/11 05:43 PM Re: Time for some Selfish promotion! [Re: Oxus]
Oxus Offline

Finished a symphonic composition . . . now how do I get this to Hammer Films? Enjoy! (or don't enjoy, lol)

Lament of the Dæmon

Edited by Oxus (11/13/11 06:40 PM)
Edit Reason: fixed a spot in the mix

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.