Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#5746 - 03/15/08 09:38 PM No more file sharing...
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
(http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/03/15/japanese-isps-to-ban-file-sharers/)

""Japan has decided to beat France and the United Kingdom (both who have similar proposals) to become the first country to ban file sharers from the internet.

Oddly the agreement to do so has not come from the Japanese Government, but from Japan’s four internet service provider organizations after pressure (not surprisingly) from the record and movie industries. According to Torrent Freak, the agreement would see copyright holders tracking down file-sharers on the Internet using “special detection software” and then notifying ISPs of alleged infringers. File sharers will initially receive a warning for a first offense, then be disconnected for subsequent offenses, eventually be disconnected from the internet permanently (it wasn’t clear whether the agreement is a three strikes proposal).

The process will formally commence in April and will primarily target users of Winny, the most popular file sharing network in Japan.""

I guess France and England are next. Think America will follow? I suppose there are some good things about capitalism... then there are some bad things. It's bad to share.

~~352~~

#5749 - 03/15/08 09:47 PM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Great. Looks like I'm in the shitter sometime soon. I'm really hoping that they stop this "ban file sharing" shit altogether. How else are we going to discover new music or sample new music without file sharing? If I like an album enough, I do buy it eventually (although if it's by Fear Factory, eventually is changed into ASAP....).

Fucking capitalist bastards...

#5750 - 03/15/08 09:49 PM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I don't think it will be a major issue unless people are actively sharing copyrighted material, sure a great deal of stuff transfered is illegal but you'll be surprised how many 'creative commons' works are produced all the time on the internet.

#5752 - 03/15/08 10:10 PM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: TornadoCreator]
DistroyA Offline

Yes, but here's the problem I'm talking about; you hear a song on the radio, you find out who it is, what song it is and eventually after researching, you find out the album name. At one time you'd buy the album. Now there's iTunes and other networks to legally download, but what if someone can't afford to buy music, yet depends on it to keep sane etc?
iTunes creates the problem of being broke. Programs like Limewire are for those who need the music but have not the fundage, but will go out and buy music if necessary when the funds are available.

One of the reasons why I'm all for file sharing. And why I hate Lars Ulrich. \:D

Edited by DistroyA (03/15/08 10:11 PM)

#5753 - 03/15/08 10:19 PM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: DistroyA]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
People will still pirate. So we won't have file sharing. Instead people will use recording software to rip the music straight from the bands websites or sites like YouTube. People always find a way, don't think for a minute that music will be killed off by this.

Also as I say, many bands are putting creative commons licencing on their music so that it becomes legal to share their music.

#5754 - 03/15/08 10:30 PM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: TornadoCreator]
DistroyA Offline

Lets hope so. Otherwise, people like myself might end up panicking. Heh.

Mind you, deviantART adopted the creative commons concept for the users to use a while back. It seems like a good feature if you ask me. Makes my work accessible, but protected. The way I like it. \:\)

#5773 - 03/16/08 11:12 AM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

I am not an Internet lawyer but I am sure that recording what you hear is just as legal on the Internet as it is with radio… So simple programs such as Goldwave (full version shareware) and I’ve heard others mention winamp can be used to record Internet music…

A few simple steps later and you have neat little mp3’s of your favorite music… Almost as easy as using a file share and you get the added benefit of leveling the volume or boosting the volume as I do…

I came across this also… It seems cheap enough and the company that sells it seems to think it is legal…

Radiotracker

There are also specific search terms that will turn Google into an mp3 and movie search that will list music and movies sitting on private servers… Now how illegal can it be to download a song or movie through Google?

Necessity is the mother of all invention… When I was younger and had little money there was always a way to hear free music even if that meant turning on the radio… The added benefit even though you may have to listen to commercials you just might also hear the local news and get a clue of what is going on around you…

~T~

Of course there are always IRC servers too…

Edited by ta2zz (03/16/08 11:15 AM)
Edit Reason: added IRC after thought

#5799 - 03/17/08 05:04 AM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: ta2zz]
DistroyA Offline

You may have given me an alternative if file sharing gets completely. Therefore, being a life saver. Thanks ta2zz.

Now all I've got to find out is if this Goldwave is compatible with iMacs.....

Edited by DistroyA (03/17/08 05:04 AM)

#5878 - 03/18/08 04:21 PM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: TornadoCreator]
Jeseth Offline
pledge

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator
People will still pirate. So we won't have file sharing. Instead people will use recording software to rip the music straight from the bands websites or sites like YouTube. People always find a way, don't think for a minute that music will be killed off by this.

Also as I say, many bands are putting creative commons licencing on their music so that it becomes legal to share their music.

I agree. They will never limit file sharing they way they wish they could. They can pass all the laws they want; pirates will still be pirates. With websites like Pirate Bay and programs like uTorrent, it's just too difficult to keep track of everyone.

Even if they do crack down on our current methods of file sharing, it only means we'd have to think of better ways to do it.

#5881 - 03/18/08 05:35 PM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: Jeseth]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Jeseth

I agree. They will never limit file sharing they way they wish they could. They can pass all the laws they want; pirates will still be pirates. With websites like Pirate Bay and programs like uTorrent, it's just too difficult to keep track of everyone.

Especially as the latest version of LimeWire includes a BitTorrent client in addition to P2P sharing over the Gnutella network. It even has a web browser tab (allowing The Pirate Bay to be accessed with ease, all in one application).
Making it almost ridiculously easy to pirate...

Quote:

Even if they do crack down on our current methods of file sharing, it only means we'd have to think of better ways to do it.

Just like what happened with Napster a few years back.
Unfortunately (for the corporations at least), P2P software is not so easy to close down.

I expect The Pirate Bay may face some trouble - but even if they close it down, there will be other means.

There have been a few sites closed down for linking to copyrighted content - a UK-based site called TV Links was a relatively recent victim of this.

It looks like the war between the pirates and copyrighters is far from over.

#6084 - 03/21/08 06:58 AM Re: No more file sharing... [Re: Meq]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Apple considering free iTunes

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.