Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#57911 - 08/02/11 03:50 PM Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art
AGW Offline
stranger

Loc: Corpus
I was wondering if there are any others who feel that wrapping one's own cigarettes is an art. Something about getting a paper out, sprinkling about the tobacco, and continuing with one's personally favored technique draws my eyes, captures my attention, and is sometimes even awarded with my admiration.

I buy Tube Cut: Turkish. The quality of the tobacco itself isn't particularly fantastic, but I do enjoy getting my nicotine anyway. I tear the plastic off, pop the papers away, get a pinch of strands and go to town. I've always put the desired amount of tobacco in, press slightly to compact, fold over and continue by moving one side of the paper up and down rubbing against the other until the cancer-causing plant is evenly spread and compact to your wishes. After which, just roll, lick, stick, and light.

If there are any other folks who take pride in their cigarette, please do share your method and personal beliefs on the matter.

#57947 - 08/03/11 09:28 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: AGW]
tuathacoagula Offline
stranger

Loc: Japan
As a lapsed non-smoked, I do enjoy rolling my own. Here in the UK it has to be Golden Virginia and a silver Rizla paper. I wouldn't go so far as suggesting what I do is an art, but rather a part of the habit that acts as ritual. The motions, the timing and performance all point to that for me.
#57968 - 08/04/11 12:57 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: tuathacoagula]
AGW Offline
stranger

Loc: Corpus
 Originally Posted By: tuathacoagula
As a lapsed non-smoked, I do enjoy rolling my own. Here in the UK it has to be Golden Virginia and a silver Rizla paper. I wouldn't go so far as suggesting what I do is an art, but rather a part of the habit that acts as ritual. The motions, the timing and performance all point to that for me.

(I'm going to assume that "non-smoked" is meant to be "non-smoker.")

Fell back into the habit too, I'm afraid. When I was doing private landscaping, the 16-19 hour shifts prevented me from having the time to smoke. Once things loosened up, I resumed slowly killing myself.

I can see why it wouldn't be necessarily an "art" seeing as the whole concept and process truly isn't complex and literally something I've seen young children do with perfection and without much effort. Still, there is undoubtedly a "well-rolled cigarette" and a "not-well-rolled cigarette." I just about shit myself whenever someone wraps together a nearly perfect fatty with a radius comparable to that of a full-sized cigar while keeping the damn thing still tight, which is something I simply cannot do to save my life.

#58041 - 08/08/11 08:33 AM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: AGW]
when7iseleven Offline

Loc: High Peak, UK
Many years ago when incarcerated at Her Majesty's pleasure, tabacco was always rationed & was pretty much the only currency going. I can't remember exactly but I think the ration was half an ounce a week, but what ever it wasn't much. To spin it out for the week, we could roll a drawable smoke with probably no more than 4 or five strands of tobacco........but what we had to do with the matches to light the things was truly artistic.

Our delightful guardians, HM Prison Officer Fuckpig thought it hilarious to give each of us only two matches a day, so even bunked up that would only give you four smokes a day. The Art came in being able to split a match (& keep its head) into four using a razor blade............genius or what!

#59021 - 09/10/11 09:05 AM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: when7iseleven]
Ses Offline
stranger

Loc: Bucks, England
I wouldn't classify it as an Art, but it is soothing and in effect a ritual.

I tend to smoke Cutters Choice, with Green Rizla with menthol tips.

#89969 - 06/24/14 11:08 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: AGW]
Vapula Offline
stranger

Loc: Connecticut
I've always thought tube cut tobacco is decent. For the price at least.

I used to always buy a large bag of gambler tobacco, with a pack of top papers.

Top papers are so shitty and cheap and they get the job done.

What kind of papers do you like?

#89995 - 06/25/14 10:32 AM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: Vapula]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
A friend of mine rolls her own, I've tried just about every brand of tobacco and it all tastes like crap. I'm guessing it lacks a lot of the chemicals that the pre-packaged smokes contain. That would be my guess.

I would compare it to making your own smoothie vs. buying one at a Smoothie shop. All those additives and such is what appeals to the flavor pallet, even if it's no good for your body.

We do so enjoy our vices.

#90003 - 06/25/14 11:21 AM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: SIN3]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Not totally on topic, but here in NY, cigarettes are over $10 a pack, due to taxes and shit. Although taxes are shit onto itself.

Anyway, I was considering, not so much rolling my own, but buying empty cigarette tubes (with filters) and getting one of those gizmo things to stuff the tobacco into it. Would have cost me around $2.00 or less a pack, if I did it myself.

However, I'm lucky enough to live near an Indian Res, where I can buy untaxed cigs. I get a decent brand (took some trial and error to find the right one), and it costs around $22.00 a carton.

Now...If I had my own land, I would definitely try to grow my own tobacco. As far as I know, the supreme puba of the U.S allows individuals to grow up to a quarter acre of tobacco for personal use.

#90004 - 06/25/14 11:26 AM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: Asmedious]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

You should try to buy a pack in Vegas, insane. Last time I was there they were $14 a pack.

Here in VA, with tax I'm paying about $6.20 per pack.

I guess I just prefer a good smoke to the economic factor.

As a side note, those Hooka pens and E-cigs aren't bad. I used one for a year (without nicotine) and the benefit is you can smoke it anywhere. Where as a regular cig, you are limited. Most bars & restaurants have become Smoke-free. So the perks of one of those things, is you don't have to go outside in the Winter months to have a smoke.

Cost is pretty much the same. It's really based on your smoking habit.

As far as wrapping as an art form. I tend to agree. I suck at it so I cheat and use a rolling machine if I'm helping my girl out to roll her smokes. It's weird, I can roll a jay like a champ. She hand-rolls her smokes and they look perfect like right out of a factory or something. Pretty amazing if you ask me. Even with practice I suck.

#90005 - 06/25/14 11:39 AM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: SIN3]
Le Deluge Offline

Surprisingly enough, you can still get a 2 for 1 for under $10 here. Generics go for even less. The difficulty is finding a place to smoke them. Smoking is banned outdoors in some places. You're better off walking down the street smoking a j. The price of cigarettes may change. The taxes are relatively low. The last ballot initiative to raise them lost 49%-51%. I suspect one will pass if voters believe the funds will be allocated in a reasonable manner.

P.S. I suspect more people will wrap when a new tax hits. At present, it is used primarily for spliffs.

#90006 - 06/25/14 12:00 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: Le Deluge]
CanisMachina42 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
 Quote:
Surprisingly enough, you can still get a 2 for 1 for under $10 here. Generics go for even less

Seems counterintuitive that a pack in California is among the cheapest in the nation, especially considering the obsession with fitness and insane costs of living.

Rollies used to be cheaper by an amount worth switching for. Since 2008-09 (and "special" taxes for these cheap alternatives) a pack of roll your own is around 4.00/pack. Compare that to a pack of Camels at 4.75/pack (after .75 off promo) and price difference is no longer worth the added hassle.

#90007 - 06/25/14 12:20 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: Le Deluge]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Have you seen THIS LD?

Quote:
White House changes to proposed rules for tobacco products significantly weakened language detailing health risks from cigars and deleted restrictions that might have prevented online sales of e-cigarettes, published documents show.

In April, the FDA issued a proposal which would subject the $2 billion e-cigarette industry to federal regulation for the first time. It would ban the sale of e-cigarettes to people under the age of 18 and vending machine sales.

The proposal disappointed public health advocates who criticized the agency's failure to restrict flavored products or television advertising, which they say attracts children, and criticized the agency for not moving to restrict online sales, where it can be harder to verify a person's age.

When I was a kid, the legal age to buy smokes was 16, other Tobacco products such as Dutch Treats, didn't. I wonder if there's a study that does a comparative since the age was upped to 18.

The FDA wanted to include stats on how many lives these restrictions have saved. When I was a kid, I just got the older kids to buy smokes for me. At my neighborhood store (a Mom and Pop), I could buy them at any age. The owners new my Mother and I often had to go buy her smokes. So, I had access even with restrictions in place.

#90014 - 06/25/14 02:48 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: SIN3]
Le Deluge Offline

Originally Posted By: SIN3
Have you seen THIS LD?

Quote:
White House changes to proposed rules for tobacco products significantly weakened language detailing health risks from cigars and deleted restrictions that might have prevented online sales of e-cigarettes, published documents show.

In April, the FDA issued a proposal which would subject the $2 billion e-cigarette industry to federal regulation for the first time. It would ban the sale of e-cigarettes to people under the age of 18 and vending machine sales.

The proposal disappointed public health advocates who criticized the agency's failure to restrict flavored products or television advertising, which they say attracts children, and criticized the agency for not moving to restrict online sales, where it can be harder to verify a person's age.

I hadn't seen it. So nice of them to change the proposed rules. Damn. The bigger issue: Executive agencies are serving as quasi-legislative bodies. They have tremendous power and Congressional oversight is lacking at best.

Edited by Le Deluge (06/25/14 02:51 PM)
Edit Reason: Quote Function

#90024 - 06/25/14 05:20 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: Le Deluge]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

That's an understatement. I was listening to AM radio today and one caller described the state of our government as a Fascist Oligarchy. When asked to define it for the listeners he gave this description:

Quote:
When the Constitutional protections are suspended in favor of a select few, those that have wealth and power, control the businesses. The Government grants you 'permission' to conduct business but steps in to control it every step of the way for privatized interests such as the Federal Reserve.

#90046 - 06/25/14 06:24 PM Re: Wrapping Your Own Cigarettes is an Art [Re: SIN3]
LoneWolf78 Offline

I currently pay around five bucks a pack.

Hell, on the mom n' pop stores, my grandma used to send me to get her and my grandpa's smokes when I was around nine years old.

On the e-cigs, I used them for quite a while, but for some reason or the other started craving the tobacco ones again.

Strange thing, I quit for several years all the way around, but I always smoked in my dreams.

I find it ironic that smokers are taxed more than people who do not smoke but are treated as second class citizens.

Redundant argument, I know, but it should be a business owners decision as to whether they want a smoke friendly or non smoking establishment. People are free to go where they will.

But yea it is interesting language about cigars, wine and celebrations for sure.

I smoke cigarettes when I celebrate also.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.