Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#58342 - 08/19/11 05:13 PM West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
LA Times News Article

Many of you will probably remember the West Memphis 3, whose case became one of the emblematic "Satanic Panic" studies of the 20th century. I don't know much about the justice system, but they got out by pleading guilty but still being able to declare their innocence, in a legal tactic called an "Alford Plea". It's convoluted, and kinda sad that they had to waste nearly 20 years of their lives behind bars and in aimless court proceedings.

#58343 - 08/19/11 05:33 PM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: The Zebu]
Jake999 Offline

Basically, it's a "well... kinda sorta" plea in which the defendant can say, "The prosecutors did have a lot of evidence that made me look guilty enough that a jury would probably convict me. While I'm not SAYING I was guilty of the crime, I could see how people might think so, and convict me on the evidence available."

I've heard of this kind of plea, but I can't say that I have ever heard of it being implemented before. It just adds a capper to the already bizarre and convoluted history of the West Memphis 3.

#58367 - 08/20/11 10:38 AM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: Jake999]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
I remember hearing about this case, they were/are making a movie called Paradise Lost or something like that... it was based on the crime and their plea bargain after 18 tears.

#58800 - 09/03/11 06:14 AM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: Wicked Satanist]
ItsEnoughNow Offline
Banned
stranger

Yes i have also heard that they are making this kind of movie once but didn't know much about it..
#63624 - 01/13/12 02:33 PM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: ItsEnoughNow]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
I watched both documentaries on this last night on HBO. I surprised that they offered these young men these plea deals but I guess anything to make it look like you've got the right people no matter what.

Byers is batshit crazy. His stories are incredibly inconsistent and IF he has a brain tumor, I'd be afraid that if they removed it he'd be completely brainless, which might be even more dangerous than he all ready is.

I think that at the time Damien, Jason, and Jessie, didn't realize the enormity of the accusations that they were accused of. After watching both documentaries, and yes, I know they are biased, it's obvious that the evidence is not what it was made out to be in the first place. There are far too many flaws in all of it, including the boys reactions to EVERYTHING that was going on around them. Damien got a HUGE wake up call in prison. I just wonder what will happen to them now that they are "free" again and what Byers will do.

Anyone else watch both documentaries out there?

#63627 - 01/13/12 05:29 PM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: Nyte]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I think that I've seen at least one of them. It's one of those things that I would rather not get too involved in following, because I get so pissed when I see that kind of injustice. I do follow it to a point in order to be informed but I have to distant myself somewhat from it.

#63628 - 01/13/12 05:29 PM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: Nyte]
Merkwürdigliebe5 Offline
pledge

They were released partly because of some rather egregious errors made by the crime scene investigators.

-Dr. Septimus Pretorius

#63630 - 01/13/12 05:54 PM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: Merkwürdigliebe5]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Merk, if those that actually "offered" up these plea deals were being completely honest, those young men shouldn't have had to cop to any kind of plea at all. They should have been able to have a second day in court to have ALL of the evidence fully examined. Not the shit the judge pulled when they tried to fight the verdict from the initial hearing. There's just too much that doesn't fit together at all.

Jason said something in his interview that it's scarey that anyone can accuse you of something, you can be picked up for it, tried on no physical evidence and convicted to appease people that just want to be able to hold someone/anyone accountable. Yes, I'm paraphrasing but he's right. It's a shame and if I hadn't watched both movies and read some of the sites I now have, I may have questioned what was presented in the movies quite a bit more. It's just plain messed up.

#63652 - 01/14/12 02:11 AM Re: West Memphis 3 are freed after 18 years in jail [Re: Nyte]
Shea Offline

Loc: Chicago
It seems like forever ago when I first heard about this case; if I recall correctly, Michale Graves (lead singer of the Misfits, who consequently has a lot of solid solo work) came out in their support...

It's definitely good that the court finally reversed their previous decision. However, it's a shame that they're prevented from suing the state. It's clear that they were picked for their differences and not on the basis of any legitimate evidence.

Nothing like a small community run by "good Christians," eh?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.