Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#58353 - 08/20/11 01:37 AM Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
At least, according to NewYorkMagazine.com, as of a few years ago:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/12/list_antireligious_movies.html

“Although he made what many still consider to be the quintessential Jesus movie (The Gospel According to St. Matthew, 1964), Italian Marxist homosexual poet Pier Paolo Pasolini was no fan of religious dogma, and his sex-drenched, free-form adaptation of Geoffrey Chaucer’s poem (The Canterbury Tales [1972]) constantly thumbs its nose at the falsely pious.”

#58354 - 08/20/11 01:59 AM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Tesseract]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
10. Carrie (1976)
9. Priest (1995)
8. Footloose (1984)
7. Dogma (1999)
6. Jesus Camp (2006)
5. The Name of the Rose (1986)
4. The Magdalene Sisters (2002)
3. The Boys of St. Vincent (1993)
2. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)
1. The Canterbury Tales (1972)

Wow, what a crock of shit. I've not even seen half the list. What about the "horror/scarey" movies they forgot? OMEN (I,II,III,IV,V) those movies were about the Anticrist coming back and taking over the world. What about Lost Souls (2000) when the Attorney turns into the Antichrist on his 33rd Birthday? Dark habits (1984) where a nightclub singer seeks refuge with gay nuns on dope in a Madrid convent?!? Or the Ninth Gate (1999) where a rare book dealer, while seeking out the last two copies of a demon text, gets drawn into a conspiracy with supernatural overtones.

I can go on ad nauseum...

The list is / was a joke and can not be taken seriously.

#58359 - 08/20/11 03:00 AM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
This list is complete bullshit (and I've only seen a few movies on the list myself, so I'm only going to give my very brief ideas on those I've seen).

Quote:
10. Carrie (1976)

Really? Carrie wasn't anti-Christian in the least. The mother was a nut who had an unhealthy obsession with Jesus and the Bible. (Wait...doesn't that sound a little bit like the person who wrote the list?)

Quote:
7. Dogma (1999)

I loved this one. This is a bit off topic, but I remember the director Kevin Smith talking about how he picketed his own movie with the posted: "Dogma is Dogshit". \:D Apparently he was expecting a huge crowd and only about ten or fifteen people showed up.

Quote:
6. Jesus Camp (2006)

I remember seeing this one a while back. It was, at least in my opinion nothing more than a documentary. The behavior of the Christian fanatics, if anything, is what was "anti-Christian" - not the movie itself.

The person who wrote this list really needs a sense of humor.

Edited by Alex Crowley (08/20/11 03:01 AM)
Edit Reason: Corrected a typo.

#58362 - 08/20/11 04:36 AM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Tesseract]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
It’s all subjective, of course, and pretty frivolous, but initiating one’s comments with “I've not even seen half the list.” or “This list is complete bullshit (and I've only seen a few movies on the list myself, so I'm only going to give my very brief ideas on those I've seen).” doesn’t tend to shore up one’s assessments of the films offered.

I believe there’s a difference between “anti-christian” and “pro-evil/Satan”. A movie can have absolutely nothing to do with horror and devil fantasies, and yet be immensely critical and condemning of christianity, or any other given religion.

I fail to see how this article can be read as much other than tongue in cheek, and perhaps it’s someone other than the author who “really needs a sense of humor.” I take the piece as an examination of mostly mainstream films that presented pop culture movie goers with overtly anti-christian / anti-religion plots and themes. I fail to see how anyone paying attention could describe “Carrie” as not at all anti-christian: the mother was clearly presented as an unbalanced, violent christian fanatic, while the protagonist/anti-hero rejects her mother’s christianity and user her “telekinetic” powers to kill many undoubtedly x-ian antagonists, refusing to “turn the other cheek” or “love her enemies.”

Sure, there are some clunkers on that list (“Dogma”, “Footloose”), when viewed from a strictly “cinematic” perspective, but still, all I’ve seen from the list offered clearly anti-christian themes, and offensively religious characters, without turning to obvious, cheesy horror cliches.

I actually have the first three “Omen” films in my Netflix queue, and while I’ve seen none of them since a kid, if anything, The Omen(s) can be argued as being greatly PRO-christian, in that the film(s) present and reinforce christian mythology of Antichrist, and if I recall correctly, ultimately evil is defeated, and Antichrist squelched (but again, it’s been literally decades since I’ve seen them).

#58372 - 08/20/11 12:35 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Tesseract]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
They missed the all-time champion anti-Christianity movie, 1971's The Devils.

Now if someone would just film Tales from the Leather Nun ...

#58385 - 08/20/11 06:04 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Wicked Satanist]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
It's rather difficult to judge what constitutes an "anti-religious" movie, since the majority of fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc, present depictions of the world that don't match a rigidly Christian view of the world. And we can also add most history and natural science documentaries to that list, too. And what about "Religilous"?

Quote:
Or the Ninth Gate (1999) where a rare book dealer, while seeking out the last two copies of a demon text, gets drawn into a conspiracy with supernatural overtones.

I have a particular love of this movie for its atmospheric subtlety, moral ambiguity and hermetic motifs.

Quote:
Now if someone would just film Tales from the Leather Nun ...

Sacred Flesh is a rather notorious nunsploitation film, that has actually gotten a large mainstream following.

Edited by The Zebu (08/20/11 06:05 PM)

#58521 - 08/23/11 03:34 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: The Zebu]
ASHMEDAI Offline
stranger

the church 1989
Faust: Love of the Damned 2000

#58522 - 08/23/11 03:40 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: ASHMEDAI]
ASHMEDAI Offline
stranger

oh and any Disney Movie

#58526 - 08/23/11 03:59 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: ASHMEDAI]
dust-e sheytoon Offline

Loc: NYC
Marjoe (1972) provided insights into the showbusiness of evangelical Christianity.
Fellini's Roma (1972) included an over-the-top ecclesiastical fashion show.
Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple (PBS Frontline) showed an ostensibly Christian preacher become a suicidal cult leader.
Bedazzeled (1967) portrayed the Christian God as an egotistical tyrant.
Dahmer (2002) includes a scene where the actor playing Jeffrey Dahmer mocks a young man for wearing a necklace that has with an instrument of execution dangling from it--a Christian crucifix.

#58528 - 08/23/11 04:33 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
ASHMEDAI Offline
stranger

dogma is just great fun stickin it to catholic church, religion should be fun people spend to much time on the negative what feckin god can do for me- help yir self feck the rest

#58529 - 08/23/11 04:38 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: ASHMEDAI]
ASHMEDAI Offline
stranger

The Devil Rides Out 1968- first to use the eyes as objects of fear and gate ways to your soul

#58530 - 08/23/11 04:45 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: ASHMEDAI]
ASHMEDAI Offline
stranger

and i almost forgot "prince of darkness" secrets and lies

#58531 - 08/23/11 05:00 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: ASHMEDAI]
dust-e sheytoon Offline

"The Arrivals" (2009) pro-Muslim propaganda series has an anti-Christian message according to this article: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=108483

An Iranian rapper tried to get me interested in "The Arrivals,"but it reminded me too much of Western brainwashing New Age material to keep my interest, plus I've already seen a lot of conspiracy videos.

#58532 - 08/23/11 05:07 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
ASHMEDAI Offline
stranger

i cant bring my self to to watch any pro anything movies
i feel if you enjoy something just go with it Muslim, Christian, pagan, we all live under one sun or moon

#58533 - 08/23/11 05:52 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: ASHMEDAI]
dust-e sheytoon Offline

Originally Posted By: ASHMEDAI
i cant bring my self to to watch any pro anything movies
i feel if you enjoy something just go with it Muslim, Christian, pagan, we all live under one sun or moon

I enjoy watching some Shia Muslim videos because I like the mosque architecture, the Persian typography and some of the soundtracks are great! But when I read translations of what they are saying, I find it mostly boring or annoying. I don't go for the whole submission thing at all! Shariah law sucks. They have far fewer libertes.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.