Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#58535 - 08/23/11 07:42 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
Lucifershal0 Offline
stranger

Loc: Mt.Pleasant, SC
Well if you will allow music movies which technically aren't documentaries but might belong to another category I have one that is hard to top. Just read the part of the article about the show. I waited 3 years for the dvd to be released and boy was it amazing! And filmed in the popes home town no less!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgoroth#Controversy_in_Krak.C3.B3w_.282004.29

Can't beat Gaahl is pretty much a huge supporter of the dark one.

Edited by Lucifershal0 (08/23/11 07:43 PM)

#58537 - 08/24/11 12:11 AM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Goliath Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
They missed the all-time champion anti-Christianity movie, 1971's The Devils.

I haven't seen that, and I've hesitated to buy the DVD. A number of reviews I've read suggest that it's not a very high-quality disc. I do, however, have the DVD of Krzysztof Penderecki's opera The Devils of Loudun.

One interesting recent anti-Christian movie is Agora, starring Rachel Weisz as Hypatia of Alexandria. The movie dramatizes the violent religious conflicts among Pagans, Christians and Jews in Roman Egypt in late Antiquity. The movie illustrates the ways in which the rise of Christianity depended on the power of the Dominate, and draws a fairly unsubtle parallel between Christianity then and Islamism today. Hypatia herself represents the dying light of Classical philosophy. Not a great movie, but pretty good.

#58538 - 08/24/11 01:08 AM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Goliath]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Goliath
One interesting recent anti-Christian movie is Agora, starring Rachel Weisz as Hypatia of Alexandria. The movie dramatizes the violent religious conflicts among Pagans, Christians and Jews in Roman Egypt in late Antiquity. The movie illustrates the ways in which the rise of Christianity depended on the power of the Dominate, and draws a fairly unsubtle parallel between Christianity then and Islamism today. Hypatia herself represents the dying light of Classical philosophy. Not a great movie, but pretty good.

This is a superb book on Hypatia and the social/cultural forces in Alexandria which led to her infamous murder.

The film you mention recently made the rounds on television, and I thought it a bit ponderous and confusing. Somewhat annoyed at the apparent willingness of the principals to "meet their fate", or so I recall.

As a brief aside, I thought Rachel Weisz was absolutely delightful in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, one of my all-time favorite flicks.

You can see some clips from The Devils on YouTube, to get the general idea. I came out of the theater after seeing that film about as stunned as when I saw Penthouse's Caligula (which I had expected just to be another swords-&-sandals movie).

There are some films which really chew you up and spit you out, such as Far From the Madding Crowd, The Lion in Winter, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? ...

#58568 - 08/24/11 05:04 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
dust-e sheytoon Offline

Loc: NYC
Lady Gaga rejects Christ in favor of Judah, in this high-production quality film short/music video. (If movies are motion pictures, and motion pictures can include shorts, I'm hoping this is still on topic.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc

#58569 - 08/24/11 05:29 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
dust-e sheytoon Offline

Loc: NYC
*Judas, not Judah

#58575 - 08/24/11 08:08 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Thanx to Goliath for alerting me that I got my Rachels mixed up: it was R. Ward in DMDWP. I was impressed with R. Weisz' comic talents in The Mummy & The Mummy Returns. [She does a mean dagger fight too.]

#58597 - 08/25/11 12:04 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
assault_ninja Offline
Banned--Idiot
stranger

Quick reply:

Well, Dr. Aquino is correct, The Devils is probably the best antichristian movie.

As to The Canterbury Tales, oh my, it's such an incomprehensible mess. Pasolini is a good director, but he's in dire need of a proper screenplay.

Oh, and I hate Agora. That's a movie that did pretty much everything wrong. When it comes to historical dramas it's always what you emphasize counts, and Agora emphasized only the wrong things, while ignoring the proper ones.

#58843 - 09/04/11 03:28 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Hegesias Offline

I am sure people not of my generation will laugh but I'd say Conan the Barbarian (only first movie).

Nihilism when Conan's future is destroyed, he goes under, he is enslaved... the Overman rises. Conan is a good allegorical translation of Nietzsche's Overman, the personification of the “will to power”.

Regarding “the riddle of steel” in the movie. [To his comrade, when discussing who's god is stronger] Conan says: If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, “What is the riddle of steel?” And if I don't know it he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me! That's Crom, strong in his mountain!”

Through the story we see Conan is not consciously aware of what the riddle's words mean but he exemplifies, embodies its meaning throughout. Thulsa Doom “enlightens” Conan to its meaning in brutal fashion repeatedly through Conan's life. Ordeals that make Conan into what he is, the personification of the will to power.

The will to power is in his living human flesh, primeval vitality. Self-discipline and vow of personal revenge. Steel itself is nothing; the sword itself is not powerful; its power comes from the mastered will that directs it.

Take this not so obvious final words from Thulsa Doom [to Conan]: You have come to me, my child. Who is your father if it is not me? Who gave you the will to live? I am the wellspring from which you flow—when I am gone, you will never have been. What will your world be without me?

Conan takes a deep look of realisation and decapitates Thulsa Doom.

I tried to make this short. I still like the movie lol

#58845 - 09/04/11 03:51 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Hegesias]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Hegesias
Take this not so obvious final words from Thulsa Doom [to Conan]: "You have come to me, my child. Who is your father if it is not me? Who gave you the will to live? I am the wellspring from which you flow—when I am gone, you will never have been. What will your world be without me?" Conan takes a deep look of realisation and decapitates Thulsa Doom.

In other words, Conan the Barbarian is a film version of this song.

#58850 - 09/05/11 01:28 AM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
It’s been only in the past decade or so that I finally started to gain an appreciation for Johnny Cash and his music. Before then I just considered him some celebrity country-western singer that had no relevance to my life, or musical tastes. Even back in the 90s a friend made a copy for me of the first American Recordings release, and while I gave the tape a few listens it just didn’t click for me then.

In the past several years I’ve purchased all the American Recordings titles, plus a couple of compilation CDs. Even his outright gospel songs are tolerable on occasion, owing to the apparent sincerity of Cash’s performances. The film “Walk the Line” is enjoyable enough, providing a glimpse into some of the dramatized, pivotal events in Cash’s life.

It’s unfortunate he died prematurely -- particularly since Cash’s early demise seems to have been the result of numerous misdiagnoses of relatively treatable and survivable ailments.

#62506 - 12/10/11 08:16 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Tesseract]
frank ashby Offline
stranger

What about a film which explores the Dark Side through our own sexuality? Imagine the implications of a snake-handling preacher, who studied Gnostic theology. He began his journey believing in a non-corporeal Christ as the epitome of the light and ended up at the mercy of a dominatrix, whose unorthodox form of initiation proved to be instrumental in bringing about his discovery of the hidden sun in the Land of the Dead. Check out my website at http://www.lefthandgnostic.com in which you will see a video promo of an act of Sadean debauchery as a magickal means of cultivating the True Will. Without a doubt, " Forbidden Doors " is a woman's darkest fantasy and a man's ultimate nightmare for he cannot escape the trammels of nature due to her sorcery.
I honestly feel that " Forbidden Doors " is the most powerful screenplay ever written and that if it is made into a film, it will herald the coming of the Anti-Christ.

Respectfully, Frank Ashby
 Originally Posted By: Tesseract
At least, according to NewYorkMagazine.com, as of a few years ago:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/12/list_antireligious_movies.html

“Although he made what many still consider to be the quintessential Jesus movie (The Gospel According to St. Matthew, 1964), Italian Marxist homosexual poet Pier Paolo Pasolini was no fan of religious dogma, and his sex-drenched, free-form adaptation of Geoffrey Chaucer’s poem (The Canterbury Tales [1972]) constantly thumbs its nose at the falsely pious.”

#62635 - 12/14/11 05:32 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: Aquino
As a brief aside, I thought Rachel Weisz was absolutely delightful in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, one of my all-time favorite flicks.

I was thinking Rachel Weisz is younger than me and would have been about 12 when Dead men Don't Wear Plaid came out. You meant Rachel Ward, but, no matter, still a fun flick!

I've never seen The Devil's before... looks interesting. In that one scene you linked Jeebus looks like Ron Jeremy + Jon Lovitz's love child :0)

On topic, I thought Wes Craven (with a little help from Borgnine) was pretty successful in jabbing at puritanism in his 1981 film Deadly Blessing.

I wonder if Borgnine was sympathetic to Scratch at some point... he certainly could project the aura.

#62639 - 12/14/11 06:27 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Fnord]
Zach_Black Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
1. The Devils Rain
2. Rosemary's baby
3.The Devils Advocate
4. Bram stokers Dracula

#62644 - 12/14/11 10:04 PM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: Zach_Black]
LeftHandonFeet Offline

One movie I want to mention that is not as well known but definitely touches on Satanism is the movie "Crazy As Hell". It was released in 2002, but only in NYC and LA, explaining why its less renown. The screenplay and script are spectacular. To summarize, a psychiatrist is sent to a state mental ward with a project to apply his well known tactics that he claims are even better than medicine- and his tenure there is recorded by an onsite team of camera men. One patient he eventually meets (played by Eriq La Salle, who also directed) calls himself Satan. He gives very cunning and craft answers to the questions the psychiatrist asks him, reminding the doctor of his siginficance and authority as the god of this world. He stirs turmoil in the hospital while practicing his spiritual powers, pissing the doctor off and causing him to lose his cool. It shows as the doctor himself loses his sanity- especially after the character La Salle convinces a patient to jump off a building and kill herself. The tone of the movie shows a battle of good versus evil, holy versus wicked, and self-righteousness versus feeding of ones ego. I would reccomend this movie to anyone who dabbles in the Dark Arts- or anyone who I think would enjoy doing so. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen. The tone, pace, and suspense of the movie is very similar to The Devils Advocate. In fact, I'm about to go rent it on iTunes and watch it again right now! ;\)

#62648 - 12/15/11 02:28 AM Re: Ten Most Anti-Christian Movies [Re: LeftHandonFeet]
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
 Originally Posted By: LeftHandonFeet
One movie I want to mention that is not as well known but definitely touches on Satanism is the movie "Crazy As Hell".

Thanks for recommending this one! I'll keep an eye out for it. It seems interesting enough.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.