Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#58961 - 09/08/11 07:46 AM Dungeon and Dragons, Real rituals?
Managor Offline

So I was trying to find me a better suiting wallet for me and I ran across this page in the results.

The page claims,
 Quote:
just a short drive away from the world headquarters of TSR, the company which makes Dungeons and Dragons in Lake Geneva, WI. In the late 1970's, a couple of the game writers actually came to my wife and I as prominent "sorcerers" in the community. They wanted to make certain the rituals were authentic. For the most part, they are.

AND that is contains
 Quote:
Do-It-Yourself Brainwashing

Additionally, Fantasy-Role-Playing (FRP) games like D&D do employ brainwashing techniques:

But wait, there's more;
 Quote:
This is another, broader issue here. The values of the game are not only pro-violence and death; they also entrain the player in an entirely different way of looking at life: what is called by anthropologists the "Magical World View(MWV)." This MWV is far outside the cultural norms of most societies, and certainly outside the realms of Biblical values. Let me explain:

The MWV teaches that there exists in the universe a neutral force, like gravity, which is magic. In this worldview, there is no sovereign God; but rather the universe is run like a gigantic piece of machinery. Magic's application is the understanding of how to manipulate the universe to get what you want. The analogy would be of putting a right coin in the slot of a vending machine and pushing the button. You automatically get your candy-assuming you used the right coin and pushed the right button. The MWV is like that. If you know the right technology (spell, ritual, incantation, etc.) the universe must respond-just like the light must go on if you flip the switch. It is automatic, and scientifically repeatable.

So lets all go play D&D slay a dragon and conjure one of the four crowned princes of hell, shall we?

That page gave me a good laugh, what do you think about it?

Edited by Managor (09/08/11 07:48 AM)

#58962 - 09/08/11 09:33 AM Re: Dungeon and Dragons, Real rituals? [Re: Managor]
Autodidact Offline

There is another, broader issue here. It's what is called by anthropologists "Rocket-Launcher World View(RLWV)". This RLWV is far outside the cultural norms of most societies, at least in the inner Liandri Corporation planets, and certainly outside the realms of Biblical values.

The RLWV teaches that there exists in the universe a neutral force, like gravity ... well, maybe that's a bad example, since some levels have half-gravity ... anyway, a neutral force, which is rockets. In this worldview, there is no sovereign God; but rather the universe is run like a gigantic piece of machinery. Especially if you're still using an old school full tower case. Rocket application is the understanding of how to manipulate the universe to get what you want. If you know the right keystrokes, the universe must respond - just like the light must go on if you flip the switch, you'll pwn that annoying n00b when you drop a triple rocket on his head and flip his switch off.

After a while, it is automatic, and scientifically repeatable.

#58966 - 09/08/11 10:37 AM Re: Dungeon and Dragons, Real rituals? [Re: Managor]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Quote:
©1984-2011 Chick Publications, Inc.

Consider the source.

Simply another instance of Christians demonizing anything that doesn't conform to their narrow worldview.

And saying that kids are learning "authentic" magic from things like DnD and Harry Potter is like saying that you can learn professional surgery by playing "Operation".

#59143 - 09/16/11 02:40 PM Re: Dungeon and Dragons, Real rituals? [Re: Managor]
Mordred Offline
stranger

While I would agree the article is (from what I've gathered through your quotes at least) utter horseshit, I will say that I think DnD has some magical qualities. Not in the way the article claims, however. Though I don't think that it is any more than a game, I still think there is something to be said for creating a character, and becoming that character, be it on the stage at the opera or over a table.

The question is of intent, really. If your purpose for playing is simply to play, then that's fine. If your purpose is to create, and get outside of yourself for a while, then I'd draw a parallel with GBM. The difference between playing notes and making music, is the same as playing a game and having the roleplaying experience.

So, I don't believe I am a cleric who can raise the dead any more than I believe I am Bach when I play his music, but the emotional connection is the same. Society just values one form of creation over the other. Brainwashing? No, certainly not. Creative writing? Maybe. Nerdy? Definitely.

#59230 - 09/19/11 05:24 AM Re: Dungeon and Dragons, Real rituals? [Re: Mordred]
Rein Offline
stranger

Loc: Richmond, VA
I've played as the Dungeon Master for a group of my friends a few months back. Through that I can agree with Mordred, it is a great opportunity to shed your skin and be someone else for a while, a forum to let all boundaries go and experience something you may not have a chance to in your everyday life.

Fully given, there are many that take it just a bit too far by having it as their alternate life rather than somewhere that you can learn from and grow from. I used my players in the group to try out different situations that I wanted to experience but knew I wouldn't have a chance to under normal circumstances. It can give a lot of insight into your own situations and life.

By using the games as a tool for both role playing and experiencing what you wouldn't be able to normally it can help you learn.

I've talked to many who demonize it just because people have seen or heard of someone Live Action Role Playing and thought that they were worshiping the devil through incantations and casting "spells".

There will always be someone who demonizes a specific topic or thing, the world is too diverse to have something that has no opposition. Be it someone who has actually researched it and opposes it or is just slandering based on a false belief, it will be there.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.