Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#59612 - 09/28/11 11:56 PM Genetic Engineering
Antigod Offline
stranger

I've been thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if there were other species on the same level as us, that we can interact with? I'm thinking humanoid dog-like creatures would be awesome. Maybe humanoid reptiles would be cool too.

Seriously, there just seems to be such a massive gap between us and the next animals down. I love playing with my dog but it would be so cool to smoke a bong with him and talk about the world. The different viewpoints another intelligent animal could offer would be so interesting.

I am looking forward to advances in genetic engineering where we can custom-build animals by mix-n-matching dna. We could make some seriously elite creatures by combining all the best traits of animals into one super-animal.

Edited by Antigod (09/29/11 12:00 AM)

#59616 - 09/29/11 01:59 AM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Antigod]
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
 Originally Posted By: Antigod
I've been thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if there were other species on the same level as us, that we can interact with? I'm thinking humanoid dog-like creatures would be awesome. Maybe humanoid reptiles would be cool too.

No, it wouldn't. If you've read David Icke's books lately all you need to do to meet a humanoid reptile is go into politics. ;\)

Nature is fine. Why fuck with it? If we could custom build animals can you imagine what would come out? Then again, we're already doing something similar by, for example, breeding cows that produce more milk.

#59620 - 09/29/11 02:39 AM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Alex Crowley]
Meph9 Offline

No, it wouldn't. If you've read David Icke's books lately all you need to do to meet a humanoid reptile is go into politics.

I concur a rational person realizes that the gene splicing about is not possible. The place for is in a cartoon or movie there is no way to take this stuff serious you can't trade genes like fucking pokemon cards.

#59623 - 09/29/11 06:37 AM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Meph9]
Alex Crowley Offline

Originally Posted By: Meph9
I concur a rational person realizes that the gene splicing about is not possible. The place for is in a cartoon or movie there is no way to take this stuff serious you can't trade genes like fucking pokemon cards.

Science might manage it or it might not. I meant it purely theoretically. As for my comment about David Icke, he is a nut.

#59634 - 09/29/11 06:29 PM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Meph9]
Antigod Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Meph9

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you knew everything about everything.

What makes you think it's impossible? The Chinese have made cows that produce human milk. That's gene splicing in action.

#59643 - 09/30/11 01:49 AM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Antigod]
Alex Crowley Offline

That's gene splicing in action.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I looked it up. Gene splicing is more than just giving you some reptile-humanoid - that, for now, is science fiction. Here are a few articles about it:

Wikipedia - Gene Splicing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_engineering

Gene splicing breakthrough gives hope to cystic fibrosis sufferers
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/heal...article2099573/

The Gene School - Gene Splicing
http://library.thinkquest.org/19037/therapy2.html

#59647 - 09/30/11 09:08 AM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Antigod]
Autodidact Offline

I've been thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if there were other species on the same level as us, that we can interact with?

There's six billion other people on this planet already - is that not enough?

Seriously, there just seems to be such a massive gap between us and the next animals down. I love playing with my dog but it would be so cool to smoke a bong with him and talk about the world. The different viewpoints another intelligent animal could offer would be so interesting.

You only see what you know. Whales and dolphins spend the day playing in the water and eating seafood. Dogs sleep, play and lick their nuts all day. Are you sure we're more intelligent?

We could make some seriously elite creatures by combining all the best traits of animals into one super-animal.

Dude, have you never seen a sci-fi horror movie? Life is dominance - if we make super-animals, guess what their opinion is going to be of us as "the next animal down".

The Chinese have made cows that produce human milk. That's gene splicing in action.

And I can't think of a more useful thing. I'll stick with 2%. Call me when they have human tits. Wait, never mind, scratch that.

Yes, it would be superficially neato to build animals like Lego, but humans have a poor record of thinking things through, even when they have all the info. Watch the Jurassic Park dinner scene for an overview.

#59669 - 10/01/11 01:07 AM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Antigod]
Ashley Corinne Offline
stranger

Loc: Utah
It seems like you're being facetious. Or you're just stoned. The fact is, we humans (super-chimps) are A LOT smarter than any other species. That's what makes us so special. Dogs are pretty cool, and cats are smart also. But you're thinking of evolution when it comes to intelligent canines and felines. Genetic engineering can help the process along, but we're more likely to create strange mutants than we are to create dogs and cats that are as smart as we are.

It's like the Korn song: "It's evolution!"

#59687 - 10/01/11 09:44 PM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Ashley Corinne]
Meph9 Offline

"Genetic engineering can help the process along,..."

or we can accidentally create a new super virus that ends up wiping out human race, I mean just saying the consequences could be really fuckin serious

#59689 - 10/01/11 10:19 PM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Meph9]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I'm assuming that Antigod wrote the original post tongue in cheek. The kind of intelligence (for want of a better word) displayed by our non-human companions is just that - non-human. They are as locked in their subjective world as we are in ours. However, I do believe that on occasion, a domesticated animal can "tune in" to the needs and emotions of a human being with remarkable accuracy. Cats I have cared for over the years have shown this to be the case consistently.
As for genetically engineering animals which can communicate directly with us using speech, I can't see that being possible and playing around with them for our selfish delight could have ghastly repercussions.

#59701 - 10/02/11 11:45 AM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: felixgarnet]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
True, once you get them to talk, then people will have sex with them claiming they said it was okay.

Then you get supposed love, marriage, and people claiming their pet cat should vote now because he thinks Obama wasn't born in America.

I think the people desiring this should just stick to anime like
InuYasha.

Inuyasha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InuYasha

Morgan

#59733 - 10/03/11 03:46 PM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Morgan]
Alex Crowley Offline

Originally Posted By: Morgan
True, once you get them to talk, then people will have sex with them claiming they said it was okay.

Then you get supposed love, marriage, and people claiming their pet cat should vote now because he thinks Obama wasn't born in America.

Imagine the mess that would cause. Suddenly you would need even more animal rights groups, morality debates and now cows could form their own arguement against being eaten. Then again, maybe a pet cat's vote would count more than some human voters - who voted for Bush again?

#59758 - 10/04/11 02:47 PM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Alex Crowley]
Latvian Offline

Loc: EU, Latvia, Riga (old town)
 Originally Posted By: Alex Crowley
... Imagine the mess that would cause. Suddenly you would need even more animal rights groups, morality debates and now cows could form their own arguement against being eaten...
I like such ideas and fantasies... It will be very interssting and I would like to see it. Maybe some day!

Scientists work on it... GM Food is in supermarkets already today and soon could we see GM Cows in the fields and even GM Clons of men in towns...

#59759 - 10/04/11 03:14 PM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Latvian]
Alex Crowley Offline

Originally Posted By: Latvian
I like such ideas and fantasies... It will be very interesting and I would like to see it. Maybe some day!

It would definitely be interesting.

Originally Posted By: Latvian
Scientists work on it... GM Food is in supermarkets already today and soon we could see GM Cows in the fields and even GM Clons of men in towns...

Again, is it a good idea to mess around with nature? It's been running itself perfectly and then people started interfering. The good we think we do now by modifying crops and animals might do a lot of damage a few hundreds years in the future, don't you think? I'm not saying it's entirely a bad thing, though.

#59762 - 10/04/11 04:21 PM Re: Genetic Engineering [Re: Alex Crowley]
Latvian Offline

Loc: EU, Latvia, Riga (old town)
\:\) Of course I avoid GM Foods and even in State level I gave my signature against it. It's lucrative bussiness and it's quite dangerous - my father has beeheaves and have bees for many years and experimentations with GM cultures brings death to bees, insects etc... We don't know results. It's not always good to experiment to much with GM. It could be soon out of control! You're right!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.368 seconds of which 0.342 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.