Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#59673 - 10/01/11 04:09 AM BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE!
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
It appears that due to free online copies of the Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey being made available, our beloved tome may be in danger of GOING OUT OF PRINT. So, go to your local bookstore, and BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE. IF THE STORE DOESN'T CARRY IT, DEMAND THAT THEY ORDER IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#59676 - 10/01/11 07:27 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Satansfarm]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
It would be a bit of a shame to see it go out of print. Granted, it will still be available online for at least forever (over-estimation), it's very nice to have a hard copy of something that you can more easily read anywhere you choose, use for a decoration piece, a ritual piece, whatever. I was going to buy a few more copies to give as Christmas gifts (irony!) to some friends who want to borrow mine, so I guess now is as good a time as ever to stock up.

#59683 - 10/01/11 05:12 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Satansfarm]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The printed book industry is scaling down massively, so they are not selling as well as they used to.

I honestly don't care if TSB goes out of print, and I seriously doubt that a half-concerted effort on the part of a couple Satanists could possibly alter the titanic currents of the declining book market. The current editions are piss-quality pulp, anyway. Maybe if it does go out of print, somebody else can acquire the rights and give it a quality hardback edition (one that DOESN'T look like it came out of a break-room xerox.)

#59698 - 10/02/11 10:42 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Satansfarm]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
 Originally Posted By: Satansfarm
It appears that due to free online copies of the Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey being made available, our beloved tome may be in danger of GOING OUT OF PRINT. So, go to your local bookstore, and BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE. IF THE STORE DOESN'T CARRY IT, DEMAND THAT THEY ORDER IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Spaz, the caps lock button is the one 3rd up from the bottom on the very left side... turn it off.

Don't know where you got your information from but you're wrong.

I already have a couple copies and a .pdf version of it, so who gives a fuck? It will always be available for download for free as long as the internet lives. If by some strange twist of fate it goes out of print and theres a global EMP... meh, I still wouldn't care, I read it 100 times and "it's in there".

#59705 - 10/02/11 02:24 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Satansfarm]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
As discussed in some other thread here, I am intermittently working on a re-edited, extensively annotated SB which will merge both the SB & SR into a single volume. I will initially do this as a .pdf ebook similar to CoS, but it could also easily morph into either an efficiency or a nicely-bound print edition.

I don't see this as surfacing publicly anytime soon, because of copyright. The fact that there may be innumerable pirate texts of the SB/SR all over the Internet is irrelevant. Right now I don't know who owns the copyrights after all the post-ASLV legal fighting - Karla, Zeena, Densley, Gilmore, [?]. I doubt that any of the above would give un-blue-penciled permission for a volume such as this, so it will probably just be written and sit dormant in my archives against a future "public domain" opportunity.

Because of the extensive annotations, bibliography, and appendices, it will probably be much larger than the present SB/SR [despite all of that white-space-padding in the SB].

All of the supporting data will make the contents come much more alive than presently, but at the expense of the "simple mystery" of the unexpanded contents. So it will be much more of a scholarly book, not as satisfying for a teen goth to just wave around.

The other problem involves the text editing, because - as per the samples I posted in the other thread (recopied below) - I am cleaning up all of the incorrect grammar & composition in the originals. The result will get an "A" in a university English course, but runs the risk of not sounding like ASLV. This will be a tough call all the way through.

#59706 - 10/02/11 02:51 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
The Zebu Offline

Actually, you should release it as a free pdf in a standard book size-- I know many indie bookbinders that will make nicely-bound printed versions of PDFs regardless of the copyright, so long as it is for private use.

#59707 - 10/02/11 05:22 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Actually, you should release it as a free pdf in a standard book size-- I know many indie bookbinders that will make nicely-bound printed versions of PDFs regardless of the copyright, so long as it is for private use.

When I get to that stage, I'll run that idea by my legal counsel, but I think it is not a legitimate way around ©-law. It is the act of reproduction that is ©, not whether or not you sell it for profit.

#59708 - 10/02/11 05:47 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Classless, Dr. Aquino.

If you were ever to do anything like that, I personally would find it not only distasteful in the extreme, but FAR beneath the dignity that I had supposed you to have. Not that you'd care...

Perhaps someone might reproduce your works for THEIR own benefit. Or maybe even glom onto your military career and accomplishments. Stolen valor... some people even want IT declared unconsitutional. Hell... why not give yourself a Medal of Honor?

This is just SAD. Copyright or not. SAD.

#59710 - 10/02/11 06:18 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Jake999]
The Zebu Offline

Quote:
When I get to that stage, I'll run that idea by my legal counsel, but I think it is not a legitimate way around ©-law. It is the act of reproduction that is ©, not whether or not you sell it for profit.

Technically, it would be illegal, but it would be a practical nonissue unless you were making money off of it. (Heck, even posting those preview pictures was illegal reproduction...)

Even so, all you would have to do is let the pdf "leak" on some other site, and let the e-occultniks handle the distribution from there. I'm sure an Aquino-annotated-TSB would circulate like a wicked case of herpes.

Quote:

Perhaps someone might reproduce your works for THEIR own benefit.

Aquino puts most of his work online anyways. You can probably find the various Tablets of Set on piracy networks too, but from an initiatory context it is merely pearls before swine.

Quote:
This is just SAD. Copyright or not. SAD.

I see nothing wrong with it. At least, not any more wrong than hosting illegitimate versions his main works on this forum. Other people have made their own bootleg editions of TSB; why would Aquino's be any worse?

Edited by The Zebu (10/02/11 06:20 PM)

#59718 - 10/02/11 11:32 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Classless, Dr. Aquino. If you were ever to do anything like that, I personally would find it not only distasteful in the extreme, but FAR beneath the dignity that I had supposed you to have. Not that you'd care...

Jake, we had this discussion in the previous thread. Annotated editions of classic books are completely legitimate; I have among other things in my library an Isaac Asimov-annotated edition of Milton's Paradise Lost and other annotated editions of some of Bram Stoker's, Jules Verne's, et al. works. It's just an extensively-footnoted version of the original work, providing source backgrounds, explanations, and enhancements, that's all.

As mentioned, the problem that gives me actual concern is the grammar/composition one. I am a compulsive perfectionist in this area, and the Avon-published SB & SR are a mess. [I presume that Avon didn't bother with any editorial cleaning-up - just printed what Anton & Diane sent them in MS.] The University Books hardcovers also had no editing; if you look closely at them, you'll see their pages [with the exception of my SB Intro] are not typeset - just blown-up photocopies from the Avon paperbacks.

Quote:
Perhaps someone might reproduce your works for THEIR own benefit.

All of my published works have always been available free on my webpage, and an annotated SB would be the same. [Funny, I regularly keep getting alerts about people who download one or more of my works, print some out, then hawk them on eBay for big bucks. All people have to do is go to my page and get them gratis.]

Quote:
Or maybe even glom onto your military career and accomplishments. Stolen valor... some people even want IT declared unconsitutional. Hell... why not give yourself a Medal of Honor?

My military career would make a science-fiction story too weird to believe, so I can't imagine anyone else crazy enough to want to impersonate it.

#59732 - 10/03/11 02:56 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
 Originally Posted By: satansfarm

Use caps and tone the exclamation marks down. Honestly, if TSB were to go out of print the information would still be freely available (as it is now) and Satanism would still go on as normal. Buying every copy one can find isn't going to help.

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Classless, Dr. Aquino.

I respectfully disagree, Jake. An annotated version of The Satanic Bible, as The Zebu said, isn't going to be any more wrong than any other bootleg versions of TSB out there (and as far as I know there are a few). Looking at Dr. Aquino's previous writings I would read his annotated version simply for interest's sake. I've found everything he's written to date extremely interesting and I have to say if he had something useful to contribute to TSB I would commend him for his efforts. Having said that, however, if he were to overshadow the accomplishments of Dr. LaVey by taking more credit, it would indeed be classless.

Although I doubt Dr. Aquino would do that. All his e-books to date have been free. There for those who are interested in reading them. For that I respect him.

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
I see nothing wrong with it. At least, not any more wrong than hosting illegitimate versions his main works on this forum. Other people have made their own bootleg editions of TSB; why would Aquino's be any worse?

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Michael A. Aquino
My military career would make a science-fiction story too weird to believe, so I can't imagine anyone else crazy enough to want to impersonate it.

Do you have any plans for perhaps writing it in the future? Sci-fi or not, truth can be stranger than fiction. ;\)

#60068 - 10/15/11 06:13 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Alex Crowley]
Goliath Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Alex Crowley
Looking at Dr. Aquino's previous writings I would read his annotated version simply for interest's sake. I've found everything he's written to date extremely interesting and I have to say if he had something useful to contribute to TSB I would commend him for his efforts. Having said that, however, if he were to overshadow the accomplishments of Dr. LaVey by taking more credit, it would indeed be classless.

I don't think there's any danger of that.

So long as this new edition of TSB and TSR is clearly marked as written by Anton LaVey, but edited and annotated by Michael Aquino, I don't see any problem with this project. Indeed, I would be very interested to read the results, and to compare them to currently-available versions of these works. Scholarly editors and annotators can add a great deal of value to classic texts, and deserve full credit for their contributions.

And after all, there's nothing sacred about the text of either the TSB or the TSR. Indeed, as we all know, LaVey himself did not scruple to appropriate the work of other authors and to incorporate these borrowings into his own work. Though, as Eugene Gallagher has pointed out, LaVey did more than just cut and paste sections from Might is Right into TSB: he modified and edited these excerpts, changing some passages and omitting others; and I agree with Gallagher that this editorial activity elevated these borrowings above the level of mere plagiarism.

It's interesting, as a result, to compare the Book of Satan to the original--to note, for example, that LaVey changed "If a man strike you on one cheek, smash him down" to "If a man strike you on one cheek, smash him on the other"--and to consider the rather different messages that these two passages convey. What emerges from this comparison is a conversation, as it were, between LaVey and Redbeard. And I for one would be just as interested to read a somewhat similar conversation between Aquino and LaVey. Especially when Dr. Aquino's own voice would be much clearer and easier to distinguish from LaVey's, in the form of notes and supporting material.

While I have nothing against electronic texts, I hope that this project is not only completed, but appears in printed form. I would certainly add it to my bookshelf.

Quote:
 Originally Posted By: Michael A. Aquino

Do you have any plans for perhaps writing it in the future? Sci-fi or not, truth can be stranger than fiction. ;\)

Indeed. Given Dr. Aquino's long and varied career--or should I say, careers--I find it a little odd that he has not as yet found a biographer. That's another volume I would be interested in reading.

#60171 - 10/18/11 12:09 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Goliath]
The Zebu Offline

Quote:

Indeed. Given Dr. Aquino's long and varied career--or should I say, careers--I find it a little odd that he has not as yet found a biographer. That's another volume I would be interested in reading.

Dr. Aquino would probably best be off writing his own biography... of course he will have to censor out the parts involving his reptilian overlords and his time spent on MKULTRA mind-control, but it should make an interesting read nonetheless.

#60173 - 10/18/11 12:24 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I have read plenty of academic commentaries on the works of others, from William Shakespeare to Stephen King and, so long as all sources are accredited and the critique is respectful, I personally see no problem with Dr Aquino's proposal. Obviously, he and Dr LaVey did not part on the best of terms but I think a thoroughly researched (and Dr Aquino has always taken care to annotate his work impeccably, judging by what I've read) commentary on the Satanic Bible from his own angle would be interesting.

I would also enjoy his autobiography, I'm sure and must once again urge Jake to write his life story so far, PLEASE!!! \:\)

Edited by felixgarnet (10/18/11 12:31 AM)
Edit Reason: Punctuation

#60174 - 10/18/11 12:58 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: felixgarnet]
The Zebu Offline

Quote:
Obviously, he and Dr LaVey did not part on the best of terms but I think a thoroughly researched (and Dr Aquino has always taken care to annotate his work impeccably, judging by what I've read) commentary on the Satanic Bible from his own angle would be interesting.

Actually, I am curious as to just how much drama there was between the Church and the Temple. There was clearly conflict, but as far as I know there were never any of the bitter inquisitional condemnations flung between LaVey and Aquino, as one often sees between rival sects.

Aquino, though obviously critical of the direction of the CoS, generally treats LaVey's writings with due respect.

Edited by The Zebu (10/18/11 12:59 AM)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.