Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#60203 - 10/18/11 07:38 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
Goliath Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Dr. Aquino would probably best be off writing his own biography... of course he will have to censor out the parts involving his reptilian overlords and his time spent on MKULTRA mind-control, but it should make an interesting read nonetheless.

But those sound like the best parts! \:\(

#60216 - 10/19/11 04:26 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Goliath]
Octavian Offline
pledge

I would like to see Michael Aquino write a book on the principles of PSYOPS and how they relate to Lesser Black Magic and its practice.

Maybe such a thing is out there by him or someone else, but I haven't seen it yet.

In regards to TSB: I hope it does go out of print at Avon. Maybe then someone like Feral House can get it and TSR and really make a nice edition like they did with a lot of the other LaVey stuff.

I mean I bought Satan Speaks a year or so ago and I was really impressed by how nicely it was put together. Would like this with TSB/TSR as well.

#60231 - 10/19/11 05:06 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Dr. Aquino would probably best be off writing his own biography... of course he will have to censor out the parts involving his reptilian overlords and his time spent on MKULTRA mind-control, but it should make an interesting read nonetheless.

Actually the MJ-series is more fun than the MK-series. At the moment I am less concerned with the reptilian agenda than with the Army's blasphemous, politically-correct renaming of sacred PSYOP to MISO, with the result that our sacred cult emblem will morph into a Japanese soup bowl with crossed chopsticks. Not to mention the inevitable "MISO horny!" jokes and T-shirts. As Colonel Kurtz observed in Apocalypse Now, "The Horror ... the Horror ..."

#60277 - 10/20/11 07:58 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Vondraco Offline
stranger

Loc: Houston, TX

Dr. Aquino,

At the very least (and often a great deal MORE), I have always been impressed with your sense of humour and willingness to take a joke. \:\) Kudos to you, after all these years.

#60309 - 10/20/11 10:28 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
I would personally love to see a nice leather cover of TSB come out. Something like Jake999's would be a dream come true for me.

I wouldn't want the content he wrote changed. I like LaVey's grammatical errors. It humanizes him, it shows an inherent humility in him. Beauty is in the imperfections sometimes. He could have easily had them fixed and didn't.

#60323 - 10/21/11 08:21 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: FemaleSatan]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: FemaleSatan

I wouldn't want the content he wrote changed. I like LaVey's grammatical errors. It humanizes him, it shows an inherent humility in him. Beauty is in the imperfections sometimes. He could have easily had them fixed and didn't.

Exquisitely said. Grammar changes just because one can change it is silly. LaVey was a man who had some rough edges, not a Ph.D. Changing something as iconic as The Satanic Bible for "grammar" is akin to taking the word "nigger" out of Mark Twain's works because the language of his day is offensive to those who speak in today's vernacular.

#60334 - 10/21/11 02:00 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: FemaleSatan]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

As previously commented, this is indeed a consideration in any editing, but I am quite certain that Anton was not averse to, and indeed appreciative of careful refinement. I routinely cleaned up all of his Cloven Hoof essays 1971-5 [along with everything else submitted to the Hoof], with nothing but appreciative comments.

People, especially adults, with spelling/grammar/composition problems are often reticent about seeking help in these areas. The principal reason is that the writer does not recognize his own errors; otherwise he would not make them. For instance:

Originally Posted By: FemaleSatan (edited)
I wouldn't want the content he wrote changed. I like LaVey's grammatical errors. They humanize him; they show an inherent humility in him. Beauty is occasionally in imperfection. He could easily have had the errors fixed, but he didn't.

Avon did not edit the SB ms. at all. Peter Mayer just slapped it together as a fast paperback to surfboard the media sensation of Anton and the Church. The same thing happened with the SR. For the hardcover editions University Books just photocopied and blew up the Avon pages, typesetting only my Introduction.

This said, it is important to preserve the flavor of Anton's writings. There is a difference between necessary correction and complete rewriting/revision. The latter is what HPL routinely [and professionally] did to "collaborative" ms. sent to him, with the result that the final versions might as well have been his originals.

#60337 - 10/21/11 02:24 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
A little correction here or there changes the flavor of an individual's writing. An example would be when you cleaned my post up. It chipped away at my personal writing style (I write the way I speak, even down to occasional ya'll thrown in). I would hate to see TSB lose that "Anton flavor".

The other problem is the "bible issue". A little change here and there, and the next thing you know a book is so far away from the intention of the author it can't be recovered. I don't want to see that happen with TSB.

Edited by FemaleSatan (10/21/11 02:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Adding to post

#60338 - 10/21/11 02:24 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Changing something as iconic as The Satanic Bible for "grammar" is akin to taking the word "nigger" out of Mark Twain's works because the language of his day is offensive to those who speak in today's vernacular.

I would scarcely revise the SB to make it less "offensive" to anyone. I loathe that kind of thing, which is just censorship under the guise of constructive revision. The "nigger" terminology in Twain's stories is essential to their period/culture origins. Disney pulled Song of the South from redistribution because of PC complaints that it portrayed Uncle Remus as a "happy" slave, and mocked slave dialects in the dialogue of Brer Rabbit, Fox, and Bear. Fantasia had a scene deleted showing a Black centauress (rather cleverly a part-zebra), just because she was shown serving her White companions.

Actually I have one particular word-problem with the SB: "... if he isn't, he had better have MEDICARE!" That term politically, nationally, and time-period dates the book. The easy change would be "medical care", but that misses the point of God being a declining/terminal oldster.

#60339 - 10/21/11 02:41 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: FemaleSatan]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

A little correction here or there changes the flavor of an individual's writing. An example would be when you cleaned my post up. It chipped away at my personal writing style (I write the way I speak, even down to occasional ya'll thrown in).

Unfortunately [with no offense intended], this is all too often used just as an excuse for incorrect speaking or writing. I blame much of the problem on inadequate primary and secondary education. As a university professor I routinely found myself giving my students crash-courses in English fundamentals at the onset of my classes. The objective was not to insult anyone; it was to enable students to communicate their ideas as effectively as possible.

Um, that should be "y'all", not "ya'll" ...

#60341 - 10/21/11 04:55 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Quote:
Um, that should be "y'all", not "ya'll" ...

That just about made my day.

The Medicare comment hit my "dinosaur alert" button too, but there's lots more dated material in the book, such as the tirades against the hippie scene... personally, I'd leave it in there, since revising these quirks would be rather redundant. Also, LaVey's maddening abuse of all-caps spelling kinda nauseates me though... (maybe an editor would have removed or italicized them?)

Anyways, I don't think that Dr. Aquino is attempting to "replace" the Satanic Bible by any means. I for one would be rather interested in reading his anal-retentive commentary, but the original Avon paperback wouldn't be flying off my shelf anytime soon... (but I do agree with you

#60342 - 10/21/11 05:10 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Dr LaVey also makes the popular error of conflating the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception with that of Jesus' conception by Mary.

The Immaculate Conception is a doctrine founded in the 19th century by the Roman Catholic Church which states that the Virgin Mary is the only human being ever to have been conceived without the taint of Original Sin. This was so she could be a fitting vessel for the physical incarnation of the Christ. Her conception, therefore, was "immaculate".

Jesus' conception was NOT "immaculate" as he was conceived as fully God and fully

#60343 - 10/21/11 05:12 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: felixgarnet]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
man in one person, indivisible and had to be tempted as any other person.

Jesus' conception and birth are simply known as the Virgin Birth.

Sorry about the jump - my PC decided to post before I was ready. \:\)

#60345 - 10/21/11 06:13 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: felixgarnet]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
There's also misnaming Jormungandr as "Midgard", along with Enochian errors, and numerous spelling mistakes in the non-English bits of TSR.

While one does not need a doctorate in Theology to smell the bullshit in Christianity, or appreciate the mythos of paganism, a little bit of study helps if you're giving a thorough analysis.

#60346 - 10/21/11 07:45 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

There's also misnaming Jormungandr as "Midgard", along with Enochian errors, and numerous spelling mistakes in the non-English bits of TSR ...

I think that everyone pretty much sees the editorial "problem" with the two books. One advantage of doing an annotated version is that one can address corrections in the annotations, or alternately fix the text and handle any original nuances in an annotation.

Yes, there are definitely foreign-language problems in the SR. I have a working/rusty knowledge of German, but there are Setians with native-fluency in both German and Russian, as well as experts in the lore of those cultures. When writing COS, I untangled the Yezidi stuff through the UCSB, UCB, & UCLA libraries, so COS contains accurate information & texts there.

I am certain there are no translation errors in the HPL section, because I invented the "Yuggothic" myself, complete with puns.

Here's a brief, rough-draft example of what I mean by "article cleanup". [Note that I was grappling with the "MEDICARE" line here - an obviously inadequate substitute!]

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.