Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#60356 - 10/22/11 03:09 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Quote:
I also have exceptional organizational and multitasking abilities, supplemented by an in-depth expertise in emerging digital technologies.

Yeah, at the time of writing the "Satanic Network" was probably rather tiny, let alone anything close to the international community was see today. From what I heard, the person that translated Das Tierdrama wasn't even a native speaker. (I give them credit for trying though)

Quote:
When writing COS, I untangled the Yezidi stuff through the UCSB, UCB, & UCLA libraries, so COS contains accurate information & texts there.

Most of the Yazidi material was drawn from Isya Joseph's translations from 1919, which are of dubious authenticity at best... (though it does more or less convey basic Yazidi theology). Also in presenting the context of the material, LaVey obviously wrote off the "decline" of Yazid traditions a little bit too soon.

Quote:
Here's a brief, rough-draft example of what I mean by "article cleanup". [Note that I was grappling with the "MEDICARE" line here - an obviously inadequate substitute!]

To be honest, I can hardly tell the difference, although I noticed a couple parts where you toned the typography down. Errors, of course, stand out more than corrections.

Edited by The Zebu (10/22/11 03:09 PM)

#60359 - 10/22/11 07:08 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
[quote=The Zebu]
 Quote:
To be honest, I can hardly tell the difference, although I noticed a couple parts where you toned the typography down. Errors, of course, stand out more than corrections.

In a good cleanup you shouldn't see a different document, just a smoother one.

There are no annotations in this sample. When added, they would appear as footnotes.

#60511 - 10/28/11 02:33 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: The Zebu]
Raziel Offline
stranger

My brother told me he saw the Satanic Bible in a local used bookstore. I hope its still there I wanna go pick it up ASAP
#60512 - 10/28/11 02:35 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Raziel]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
You can download a copy of TSB free of charge here, Raziel from the Media Room.

#60513 - 10/28/11 02:39 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Raziel]
Zach_Black Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
The Satanic Bible is available online as well through such place like amazon.com.And about a hundred other places. I think it is seriously unlikely it will go outta print anytime soon.

#60843 - 11/02/11 11:55 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino

The other problem involves the text editing, because - as per the samples I posted in the other thread (recopied below) - I am cleaning up all of the incorrect grammar & composition in the originals. The result will get an "A" in a university English course, but runs the risk of not sounding like ASLV. This will be a tough call all the way through.

Like some of the others here, I like TSB as it is... warts and all. It definitely has a distinct flavor (ASLV) that I think would suffer from editing. Correcting grammar/editing/etc would make it less LaVey's book and more of something else (IMHO).

I do, however, like your idea of annotating TSB. I'd be interested in reading what you have to say about it and think it would make a cool supplementary version.

#61172 - 11/06/11 07:28 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
111Cal Offline

I don't see this as surfacing publicly anytime soon, because of copyright. The fact that there may be innumerable pirate texts of the SB/SR all over the Internet is irrelevant. Right now I don't know who owns the copyrights after all the post-ASLV legal fighting - Karla, Zeena, Densley, Gilmore, [?]. I doubt that any of the above would give un-blue-penciled permission for a volume such as this, so it will probably just be written and sit dormant in my archives against a future "public domain" opportunity.

DR AQUINO, actually the royalties from ASL's estate are split 3 ways between Barton (as the guardian of Xerxes), Karla and Zeena. Despite your falling out with ASL it would be inappropriate to pursue such a venture. While Zeena clearly deserves nothing from the estate and its revolting that she gets a dime, Xerxes and Karla DO deserve those royalties.

On a side not, apparently Diane receives a small % of the first books as per the terms of her settlement with ASL.

#61173 - 11/06/11 07:29 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Jake999]
111Cal Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Classless, Dr. Aquino.

If you were ever to do anything like that, I personally would find it not only distasteful in the extreme, but FAR beneath the dignity that I had supposed you to have. Not that you'd care...

Perhaps someone might reproduce your works for THEIR own benefit. Or maybe even glom onto your military career and accomplishments. Stolen valor... some people even want IT declared unconsitutional. Hell... why not give yourself a Medal of Honor?

This is just SAD. Copyright or not. SAD.

Although I have the utmost respect for Dr. Aquino and all he has done for the community over the years, I tend to agree with Jakes views on this. Dr. Aquino has a wealth of knowledge and experience and a ton of books he could put out, WITHOUT having to go this route, and I think that if this ever came to pass, it would come off in a very negative light to the entire community.

#61174 - 11/06/11 07:32 AM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
111Cal Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Classless, Dr. Aquino. If you were ever to do anything like that, I personally would find it not only distasteful in the extreme, but FAR beneath the dignity that I had supposed you to have. Not that you'd care...

Jake, we had this discussion in the previous thread. Annotated editions of classic books are completely legitimate; I have among other things in my library an Isaac Asimov-annotated edition of Milton's Paradise Lost and other annotated editions of some of Bram Stoker's, Jules Verne's, et al. works. It's just an extensively-footnoted version of the original work, providing source backgrounds, explanations, and enhancements, that's all.

The big difference Dr Aquino, is that given your personal history of estrangement from ASL, it doesnt have the same objectivity. Clearly, you didnt know Stoker or Verne personally, so that doesnt carry the same baggage....

But to put out your version of books written by someone you later had a very public falling out with; clearly presents additional issues...

#61198 - 11/06/11 06:42 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: 111Cal]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: 111Cal
... Despite your falling out with ASL it would be inappropriate to pursue such a venture. While Zeena clearly deserves nothing from the estate and its revolting that she gets a dime, Xerxes and Karla DO deserve those royalties.

As to whether Zeena deserves anything from her father's estate, you'll have to take that up with her.

As made quite explicit in the post from me you quoted, any annotated edition of the SB/SR that I do will probably just sit dormant in non-publication at least until the original copyrights expire. Then if anyone's interested, it could be released as either a pbook or ebook. Don't like it, don't read it.

I have no worries about my objectivity any more than I did when researching and writing The Church of Satan - which, despite an always-open invitation, no one has yet factually refuted. Indeed, ironically, most of the criticisms I get concerning it have been that I treat Anton LaVey and the Church too respectfully and positively!

As long as my own history, experience, and perspective are acknowledged - and I have never had any interest in concealing them - readers can judge my writings fully informed. Francis Regardie, for instance, had a personal falling-out with Aleister Crowley; yet this didn't prevent him from writing a number of very excellent works having to do with Crowley & Thelema, including expertly-annotated editions of some of AC's own works, such as Liber 418.

It is certainly possible for an author's bias or emotion to be reflected in his writings. It is ultimately the reader's responsibility to decide how much if any of this is fair and justified. There is, for example, a lot of authorial emotion in Burton Wolfe's The Black Pope, but once again you'd really have to take up any questions you have about that with Burton.

#61243 - 11/07/11 04:34 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
TheInsane Offline

I welcome an annotated version. Actually I'd like to see several versions from different perspectives just like we already have with The Book of the Law for example.

Cleaning up the original might be a noble idea but that I am not so sure about. I dont think an original text should be tampered with (I do realize the irony of saying this in regard to a book like TSB though). Even with the best intentions its easy to, in some way, shape it to ones owns viewpoint. The same obviously goes for translations of books but those are more or less neccessary to reach a wider audience.

#61245 - 11/07/11 05:02 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: TheInsane]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

One could wonder that if Lavey wasn't bothered about it during all those decades, why anyone else would be bothered at all.

Books are as they are, every little fault included.

We know she looks goofy but therefor we ain't gonna paint eyebrows on the Mona Lisa either.

D.

#61393 - 11/14/11 02:36 PM Re: BUY EVERY COPY YOU SEE! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
111Cal Offline

Originally Posted By: 111Cal
... Despite your falling out with ASL it would be inappropriate to pursue such a venture. While Zeena clearly deserves nothing from the estate and its revolting that she gets a dime, Xerxes and Karla DO deserve those royalties.

As to whether Zeena deserves anything from her father's estate, you'll have to take that up with her.

As made quite explicit in the post from me you quoted, any annotated edition of the SB/SR that I do will probably just sit dormant in non-publication at least until the original copyrights expire. Then if anyone's interested, it could be released as either a pbook or ebook. Don't like it, don't read it.

I have no worries about my objectivity any more than I did when researching and writing The Church of Satan - which, despite an always-open invitation, no one has yet factually refuted. Indeed, ironically, most of the criticisms I get concerning it have been that I treat Anton LaVey and the Church too respectfully and positively!

As long as my own history, experience, and perspective are acknowledged - and I have never had any interest in concealing them - readers can judge my writings fully informed. Francis Regardie, for instance, had a personal falling-out with Aleister Crowley; yet this didn't prevent him from writing a number of very excellent works having to do with Crowley & Thelema, including expertly-annotated editions of some of AC's own works, such as Liber 418.

It is certainly possible for an author's bias or emotion to be reflected in his writings. It is ultimately the reader's responsibility to decide how much if any of this is fair and justified. There is, for example, a lot of authorial emotion in Burton Wolfe's The Black Pope, but once again you'd really have to take up any questions you have about that with Burton.

i fully understand your position Dr. Aquino and do have a great deal of respect for you and the contributions you have made over the last 40+ years. That said, I think we can all agree this would be a bad idea.

as for Zeena? I am sure we can also all agree she deserved nothing... and basically stole from those who did...

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.006 seconds were spent on 26 queries. Zlib compression disabled.