Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#59814 - 10/06/11 02:21 PM The Goetia
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
I remember reading a while back that the demons of the Goetia and their seals really represent areas of the human brain. I thought I'd post it here. Who has worked with the Goetia simply for the psychodramatic value of it? What did you experience?
#59817 - 10/06/11 09:58 PM Re: The Goetia [Re: Alex Crowley]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
 Originally Posted By: Alex Crowley
I remember reading a while back that the demons of the Goetia and their seals really represent areas of the human brain. I thought I'd post it here. Who has worked with the Goetia simply for the psychodramatic value of it? What did you experience?

Do you think it would be better if you shared some of your experiences with the Forum first? I mean, It would spark more of an interrest and get some replies if we don't think you're fishing for information and can actually provide some of your own on the subject.

quid pro quo

Demonology and the Goetia would never be a subject spoken of freely, except of course here on the internet. It is not likely to get a flowing debate and or share of experiences without you first putting into it a little of what you seek.

Good luck on your path.

#59818 - 10/07/11 03:12 AM Re: The Goetia [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
 Originally Posted By: Wicked Satanist
Do you think it would be better if you shared some of your experiences with the Forum first? I mean, It would spark more of an interrest and get some replies if we don't think you're fishing for information and can actually provide some of your own on the subject.

I have to admit that, although I've read the Goetia a few times, I've never worked with it. The whole point in me asking the question here is to gather the experiences of others. I'm just naturally curious and want to know what people would have experienced with the Goetia if they did it only for psychodramatic value (instead of them expecting the materialization of a spirit, for example).

As time goes on I might add my own experiences once I've decided to go as far as to attempt anything.

#59823 - 10/07/11 11:53 AM Re: The Goetia [Re: Alex Crowley]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I've done workings involving goetic spirits (not just from the Lemegeton) that synthesize demonic invocation in the context of sympathetic magic-- basically using goetia as the "backbone" for other occult rituals, not just evocation for its own sake. (Many grimoires such as the Grimorium Verum and San Cipriano detail this as well).

I've also done some long-term "devotional"-type sessions that, when practiced frequently, produced peculiar long-lasting states of extasis. It's hard to explain without resorting to absurd psycho-mystical babble, but at some points it was almost like being on a drug, even though the workings were mostly contemplative meditations.

#61324 - 11/12/11 08:09 AM Re: The Goetia [Re: Alex Crowley]
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
 Quote:
The spirits of the Goetia are portions of the human brain. Their seals therefore represent methods of stimulating or regulating those particular spots (through the eye).

- Aleister Crowley's Introduction to The Goetia

The quotation you had in mind?

I have used the Goetia in the past but only during periods when I subscribed to a "Good vs. Evil" paradigm which, in my experience, is what "success" with the Goetia depends upon. As the Satanic Age moves beyond those childish and self-destructive definitions, Goetia has not been a part of my practice for some time.

The occasions when I did use it I found it effective in gaining what I had set out to. However, because of the very "Good vs. Evil" paradigm that it works within, I also experienced "side-effects" such as an exaggeration of obsessive behaviors which I trace back to my use of it. This, I think, is quite a common thing with the Goetia (when it is used in its "classical" sense - I can't comment from experience on recent reconstructions such as those presented by Hyatt).

With one exception, the magicians I have known who have used Goetia frequently have damaged themselves (suicide and alcoholism are two instances that come to mind) because the very system itself is designed to have those "side-effects". Not of course that it is the fault of the Goetia that those things happen, merely that it exaggerates already existing, latent patterns in the mind. Of course all magic does this, but, in my experience, magic that does not require the magician to accept (even temporarily) an objective "Good vs. Evil" is generally more in keeping with self-empowerment and self-worth.

Give me an elegant art deco chamber where I can invoke the Promethean and celebrate MySelf rather than a medieval crypt filled with "demons" any day!

#61348 - 11/13/11 01:50 AM Re: The Goetia [Re: PrinceOfBabalon]
Meph9 Offline

On the topic of the Goetia itself I can't say that I've ever seen any edition that been particularly instructive in terms of rituals. So coincidently it's basically been pretty dry and antiquated in my opinion.

In terms of portions of the human mind I would suggest you google the term "godform" or perhaps "archetype"

In a manner speaking all the demons and gods and angels... are all fictional beings that embody different natural human drives and questions. All mythic figures are personifications of these deep seeded portions of the human experience.

#61379 - 11/14/11 08:27 AM Re: The Goetia [Re: Meph9]
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
Christopher Hyatt and Lon Milo DuQuette released an Illustrated Goetia a few years back (you can easily find the pdf online) which does provide some ritual instruction.

As with all things Goetia, it's guilt-ridden (although makes valiant efforts to pretend not to be) and focuses on the lowest aspects of human nature but it may be interesting as a study in archetypal magic.

#62371 - 12/08/11 12:25 AM Re: The Goetia [Re: Alex Crowley]
kvac Offline
stranger

Loc: raleigh NC
I have and have recieved success thought summons. I am with another order and they work with the Goetia often. Im no expert I would prefer to do more ritual work with it in the future.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.