Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#59837 - 10/08/11 09:25 AM Sheeps manifested path of fear
Rein Offline
stranger

Loc: Richmond, VA
We have all known that fear is one of the strongest motivators to move the general public. If you want something done fast, make sure it scares the public into believing that they are safer away from that specific thing.

We are getting to the point where technology has the ability to police us through algorithms. While it is an interesting endeavor, to put something into practice that monitors the general public for signs that they will harm others or the nation’s infrastructure is going a bit far. An example of this is the new US Department of Homeland Security project FAST, or Future Attribute Screening Technology. It is based on several scanned features such as your expression, body tension, pose, etc, and will match it to a database of known psychological and physical profiles of someone about to harm another.

I am reminded of the film “Minority Report”, where in the future we will use predictive technology and psychics to arrest an individual before the attack.

Systems like these pose an interesting problem, it assumes that free will and choice has nothing to do with the process of harming another, that when we feel rage and anger, that we will always act on it and not be able to control ourselves. I am sure anyone here can remember times that they were furious, upset, or otherwise, had destructive thoughts or imaginings, yet they were just that.

Franklin Roosevelt made a great point, and one that seems to have been forgotten today. “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” The general public has allowed itself to be afraid and be cowed in any direction by fear, this has been shown time and time again in recent history. The “Ground Zero Mosque” is a great example of this, anyone who looked into it could have seen it was not what the media portrayed it as, or what it was hyped up to be. Though through fear the masses were gathered against the project, ignorance won the day due to fear mongering, the project is still ongoing but has been forced to slow down and acquiesce to those fearful of it.

While much of this goes on, there is a disturbing trend in all of it to identify those with even the intent to harm either another or the country in any way. There is no way to tell with just algorithms and machines what the person themselves will actually do in the situation. Fear is used to push ahead with these projects whether or not the fundamental flaws have been identified. The most recent example being Lamar Smith’s sponsored law that states anyone who even hints at a controlled substance being used or procured in a different country can be prosecuted.

Quote:
The House Judiciary Committee passed a bill yesterday that would make it a federal crime for U.S. residents to discuss or plan activities on foreign soil that, if carried out in the U.S., would violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) -- even if the planned activities are legal in the countries where they're carried out. The new law, sponsored by Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) allows prosecutors to bring conspiracy charges against anyone who discusses, plans or advises someone else to engage in any activity that violates the CSA, the massive federal law that prohibits drugs like marijuana and strictly regulates prescription medication.

It gets under my skin that a lot of people I have talked to actively support this bill and law that people can be prosecuted for just a thought rather than the action itself; encouraging others to fear even the thought of recommending something overseas to a friend where it is not the same law as in the US.. A trend that we should fear even what someone thinks instead of just what they do. This already started long ago with the fear of someone with a different belief. With the leap in technology it is now possible to make people fear what others are thinking on a day to day basis even more than before and using that fear to push micro management of the population. If this is the trend that the general public is taking it paints a disturbing picture of the future.

#59884 - 10/10/11 08:11 AM Re: Sheeps manifested path of fear [Re: Rein]
Managor Offline

That's retarded. Just plain retarded. It's like convicting someone of assault and conspiracy just because they said they wanted to smack a misbehaving child and their parents.

And that FAST thing actually sounds cool, but will it work?

Edited by Managor (10/10/11 08:11 AM)

#59907 - 10/10/11 08:56 PM Re: Sheeps manifested path of fear [Re: Managor]
Rein Offline
stranger

Loc: Richmond, VA
F.A.S.T. is still under development, in it's current stages it can decipher a rough image and words that are manifesting from a memory.

Since we still do not fully understand the human mind, and how to interpret the protein strands that make up memories, it is still a long way off to completion. It is an interesting system, though one that also poses a great threat as well if in the wrong hands.

I have no interest in partaking in politics, but I want to keep up with what the world around me is doing. Watching the flow of the herd so to speak, to know when something is coming down the path that could potentially affect me directly. The bill will and probably already has been seen in a good light by many people.

If nothing else it will be a great fund raiser for the government agencies with all of those people paying fines or bail.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.