Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#60004 - 10/12/11 05:55 PM Isn't Satanism what people do anyway?
Antigod Offline
stranger

I like Satanism, but isn't it pretty much what people do by default if their minds haven't been corrupted by religious crap?

I mean, isn't it basically Atheism with rituals?

#60007 - 10/12/11 08:30 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Antigod]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Satanism is only Atheism (which by itself is mostly meaningless) inasmuch as it does not accept the mainstream definition of God. Contrary to the null hypothesis of Atheism, there is a definite mythos and occult current to Satanism, reinforced by a strong antinomian philosophy that makes it rather unlikely for people to merely "do by default".

Granted, one takes the label "Satanist" upon themselves freely, understanding that they aren't going to get themselves tripped up over nomenclature.

Edited by The Zebu (10/12/11 08:33 PM)

#60011 - 10/12/11 11:08 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Antigod]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I agree with The Zebu here; someone may be raised in a God-free environment and still be a shiftless moron. Ergo, they will not be practising Satanism by default, even if they throw in a few rituals to spice things up.

Walking the Left Hand Path requires endless introspection, diligence and common sense; it is not simply hedonism without responsibility whether or not one believes in some sort of survival of bodily death.

What "people do anyway" is, from my observation: absorb constantly changing cultural memes as if they were facts; refuse to question anything if doing so will cause them emotional and/or intellectual discomfort and sleep most soundly when they feel secure in the knowledge that they are like everybody else. \:\)

#60493 - 10/27/11 10:20 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: felixgarnet]
Raziel Offline
stranger

so in a nutshell, Satanism or a satanist is more or less an educated athiest, who doesnt just fall by default?
#60494 - 10/27/11 11:05 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Raziel]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
A satanist is not more or less an educated Atheist. Lacking a belief in deity is really neither here nor there, nor is education per say.

Your nutshell seems to be full of fail.

#60498 - 10/27/11 11:22 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Raziel Offline
stranger

well before I open my mouth and fail some more I will most definitely read more into it and educate myself more \:\)

One line posts are frowned upon here. There is a lot of information available on this site. The Satanic Bible is free in the media room. That would be a good start....Morgan

Edited by Morgan (10/28/11 12:02 AM)
Edit Reason: warning/information

#60501 - 10/28/11 12:06 AM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Antigod]
Michael A.Aquino Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Satanism is the worship of and allegiance to Satan the metaphysical being. Anything else is something else, which includes atheists/materialists who find Atheism/materialism intolerably dull, so don a Halloween costume to make themselves interesting [to others, but also to themselves]. The anger and desperation of such poseurs when this is pointed out merely spotlights it.

In the 600 Club you will find both Satanists and poseurs. The former are both exploring and expressing a clearer understanding of their religion. The latter are either somewhere along the path to summoning up the moral and intellectual courage to become authentic Satanists, or are trying to legitimize their hypocrisy by repetitive noise: If they assert their redefinition loudly and constantly enough, they hope, everyone else will eventually give in and accept it too.

This is a common-enough practice in contemporary society, of course. Where Satanism is concerned, the issue is further complicated that by 1975 avowed Satanists had come up against the limitations and distortions of Judæo/Christian imagery, hence found themselves having to take both their perception and their dedication beyond it, to an extremely abstract and profound metaphysical conceptualization. [We in the Temple of Set call this "Set" for a number of traditional and philosophical reasons, but essentially this is a term of linguistic representation, just as phi signifies the Golden Ratio in all of its sublime magnificence.]

This said, the ordinary human being interested in Satanism per se will find a lot of meat to chew on in the 600 Club. You will be exposed to Satanist ideas and arguments as well as Atheist/materialist ones, all of which will season you towards deciding which you yourself are or want to be. When all is said and done, you are the one who must confront yourself in the mirror every day. Your own essential integrity is all that matters; any artificial image that you project, or attempt to project to anyone else is "dust in the wind".

#60503 - 10/28/11 12:29 AM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

A grown man who still believes in fairy tales has no business insulting others. Only a fool would worship a symbol of rebellion. Genuflecting is the realm of those too scared and/or weak to stand on their own two feet without the need for a supernatural security-blanket.

#60506 - 10/28/11 01:03 AM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Don't mind mike, he is still butthurt over events that took place in the 70s. Keep in mind this is a man that claims to have spoken with a deity first hand...

Needless to say there is a distinct heterodox tradition that has been around a long time, of which Satanism, for some, is a powerful vehicle of expression.

#60507 - 10/28/11 01:12 AM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Zach_Black Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
35 years of butthurtness! That might be an all time record in the Satanic community . Aquino had his hey day . Time to move on . Satanism evolves. Those who still believe in imaginary friends do not.

#60514 - 10/28/11 02:42 AM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Quote:
Satanism is the worship of and allegiance to Satan the metaphysical being. Anything else is something else, which includes atheists/materialists who find Atheism/materialism intolerably dull, so don a Halloween costume to make themselves interesting [to others, but also to themselves].

I will hold back on the caustic rhetoric on this one, but it is rather flabbergasting that you put Satan in such an itty bitty box, but have absolutely no problem defining Set (and the LHP) and in such a modernistic and nontraditional way. While your definition is true on a basic level, it belies the importance of Satanism in regards to the Path of the Left Hand, which transcends forms of "worship" and "allegiance", and renders atheistic/materialistic issues moot.

#60516 - 10/28/11 03:23 AM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
TheInsane Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Satanism is the worship of and allegiance to Satan the metaphysical being.

Obviously this definition is based on the writers own experiences of what he considers the true version of Satanism. This definition is tiny in scope and is obvioussly there to justify Aquinos own personal beliefs rather than having a working definition of what Satanism can be.

As with all religions there are major differences in belief and practice and to minimize Satanism to only being the worship of Satan specifically as a metaphysical being seems rather close minded.

My own definition could probably be regarded as to inclusive, but it is more true to the nature of the Satanic milieu as "a system that celebrates and build a worldview based on Satan (by this name or any other closely related term derived from Judaeo-Christian mythology)".

If you try to define Satanism as that which is true in regards to your own specific beliefs (I am assuming here that the one to define here also calls him or herself by the term Satanist or something closely related) then the term becomes meaningless except in relation to the very individual that makes the claim. And since Satanism has no clear historical origin, as in a shared history, a common scripture or even a common use of the very word Satanism, the definition has to be alot wider than the one Dr. Aquino suggests.

Edit:

If we go back to what Satanism meant originally we will probvably just end up with a definition of "everything that is un-christian in the eyes of Christians themselves". This would include anything - a different theism, Atheism, sexual practice, attitude, gluttony, music, dancing or whatever. And as such this definition becomes quite meaningless which is why we cant really go back to the origins of the word itself.

Edited by TheInsane (10/28/11 03:27 AM)

#60529 - 10/28/11 09:42 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Antigod]
Michael A.Aquino Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty, in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass
When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.

The chorus of indignation following my citation of Satanism's original, centuries-established meaning above rather, I think, Q.E.D.s my point about "Satanist"-poseurs. We live in an H.D.-age in which convenient redefinition is common; and because it is so common, the rabble do not really care.

To those of us who were members of the original 1966-75 Church of Satan, however, the concept of Satanism, and the name of Satanist, were profoundly, explicitly, and precisely respected. In short, we did care. This was a commitment which demanded a great deal from each Satanist, and frequently at substantial personal cost. This adventure, which may be examined in my Church of Satan ebook, made heroes of all of them.

As previously, the 600 Club accommodates both Satanists and poseurs, as well as curious-others who just think there's a lot of lively dialogue here. What it will not do is to authenticate anyone.

#60533 - 10/28/11 10:36 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino

As previously, the 600 Club accommodates both Satanists and poseurs.

Indeed, some of the latter audacious enough to claim direct experience chatting with the prince of darkness himself.

As for the 'centuries established' definition of Satanism, I think I put that little nugget to bed HERE , unless you want to start claiming Anton actually meant something else when he liberally started describing Satanism as a left hand path tradition.

Best of luck with that.

#60535 - 10/28/11 10:41 PM Re: Isn't Satanism what people do anyway? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I'm willing to accept there are poseurs and satanists here but if Lucy really exists, do you think the guys coloring between the lines are his type of people?

If you think The Horned Guy exist, great, but if you're not doing the wicked stuff, are you really serving him?

Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Fnord 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.