Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#60234 - 10/19/11 06:20 PM Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels?
dust-e sheytoon Offline

Loc: NYC
The U.S. military is shifting to biodiesel. The implications could be very interesting. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/18...itle=Lipodiesel

#60237 - 10/19/11 08:10 PM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Vegetable oil is actually most likely to take off in this respect, since it is much less expensive to harvest than producing animal fat. (Unless, of course, energy companies find a way to round up all of Texas...)

Very interesting article.

Edited by The Zebu (10/19/11 08:10 PM)

#60249 - 10/19/11 09:38 PM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: The Zebu]
Zach_Black Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
If we could make energy outta human fat, America would rule the world. We could feed idiots free cheeto's and mountain dew to people . Like Cattle feed.

#60252 - 10/19/11 09:46 PM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: Zach_Black]
Jake999 Offline

Hey. Lay off the Cheetos. You can have Mountain Dew... but lay off the Cheetos.

An' pork rinds. Lay off the pork rinds. You can have Mountain Dew... but lay off the pork rinds.

An' Ding Dongs. Lay off the Ding Dongs. You can have Mountain Dew...

#60256 - 10/19/11 10:13 PM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: Zach_Black]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: blackzach
If we could make energy outta human fat, America would rule the world. We could feed idiots free cheeto's and mountain dew to people . Like Cattle feed.

\:D I reckon you'd end up with a slow-moving, viscous substance that makes a whining noise from the engine when you actually want to go somewhere.

And you'd have to hold a burger to the pump nozzle to coax it out.

#60276 - 10/20/11 07:01 AM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: Zach_Black]
Vondraco Offline
stranger

Loc: Houston, TX
If we could make energy outta human fat, America would rule the world.

I thought America DID rule the world. I mean, except for the unimportant non-American parts.

We could feed idiots free cheeto's and mountain dew to people .

HEY NOW ... idiots are people too. Or is it that people are idiots? I dunno, it's late.

OSC (Obligatory Satanist Comment): But seriously, how long do you think before we are at the Soylent Green stage? Do the unintelligent just get turned into fodder for the rest of society to feed off of like they are turned into fodder for the military machine today?

In "old times" it was considered apropos for a rich man to pay a poor man to take his place in the military. Are we returning to that sort of society, the notion that "wealth has its privileges" and the non-wealthy be damned?

(Not that I have a big problem with that, just soliciting comments.)

#60283 - 10/20/11 08:56 AM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: Vondraco]
Autodidact Offline

We've won the war on poverty - globally there are more obese people than starving people, so it looks like a bona fide natural resource to me.

It wouldn't have to be just stupid people - after all, the world needs ditch diggers, too.

Maybe it could be a free market thing ... if your unemployment runs out and you still don't have a job, you become fuel. That's a great motivation.

Hm. I could run for office on this platform ...

#60286 - 10/20/11 09:18 AM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: Autodidact]
Vondraco Offline
stranger

Works for me.

I'm on disability, so I get a by, right? ;\)

#60297 - 10/20/11 02:40 PM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: Vondraco]
dust-e sheytoon Offline

Loc: NYC
Maybe humans could sell their body fat, in a way similar to how they currently sell their blood plasma and kidneys. If they were able to grow excess fat eating food the government provided to them via programs such as foodstamps or welfare, then the government could recoup part of their investment by taking a percentage of the fat sale money. Of course the down side of this is that farming human fat could encourage the use of even more endocrine disrupting chemicals such as Bisphenol A in human food, in order to trigger overproduction of fat.

#60301 - 10/20/11 05:06 PM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
Vondraco Offline
stranger

Well that could be interesting. People could get fat on purpose and then sell the fat and magically lose the weight overnight ... I guess it would cut down on those damnable annoying commercials for Oxytrim!

#60352 - 10/22/11 02:55 AM Re: Could Human Fat Replace Fossil Fuels? [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: dust-e sheytoon
The U.S. military is shifting to biodiesel. The implications could be very interesting. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/18...itle=Lipodiesel

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that the U.S military is still in the stage of investigating generation I and II biofuels to fuel their vehicles. Unless they actually mean "algae" instead of the misnomer "animals". Couldn't really make it up from the text.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.