Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#7117 - 04/03/08 06:45 AM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: PigFeeder]
Warschau Offline
lurker

I was just reading this before work this morning and believe I now know what happened to my finger. I recently moved into this studio apartment in an old building and after my first night here, I noticed a small red bite on my finger. I always wear big heavy silver rings and thought nothing of putting it on over this little itchy bite.
Within a couple of days it had become infected and I could'nt wear my rings for a while. It has finally healed leaving a weird discolored trench, it sounds a lot like the spider you were just talking about. Thanks for the info.

#7129 - 04/03/08 10:46 AM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
Damn, those Jack Jumpers are mean little bugs. They said that in tasmania they kill more people than geckos, snakes spiders and sharks combined. Though I didn't know geckos kill.
I say I must love these little jumpers.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant

#7143 - 04/03/08 07:24 PM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I'm with you on that one MFM, I didn't know that geckos kill either. They're actually my favourite little critter the ole gecko and I love nothing more than the chirpy croak they make in mating season in the Northern Territory. For some reason the ones down here seem to be mute, that is I've never noticed them barking.

Zeph

#7147 - 04/03/08 09:31 PM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
LOL. Killer geckos! That only make Australia so much more uniquer than any other place in the world. You guys have all the cool animals like platapusses, echidnas, emoos, killer ants and geckos, that opera house, a big desert... the flattest landmass on earth.

K

~~352~~

#7148 - 04/03/08 09:40 PM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

I would need some pretty concrete evidence of the killer geckos.

ps are emoos depressed ostriches that cut themselves? LOL

#7149 - 04/03/08 09:42 PM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl
I would need some pretty concrete evidence of the killer geckos.

ps are emoos depressed ostriches that cut themselves? LOL
LMAO... thats a good one! They look depressing.

Edited by LUCIFERIFIC (04/03/08 09:45 PM)

~~352~~

#7169 - 04/04/08 08:51 AM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

He certainly looks like he's missing a few feathers there on his neck. Pulling them out with frustration at how badly his Mum and Dad treat him maybe. Poor victimized Emoos. \:D

#7180 - 04/04/08 01:46 PM Re: Stingray Kills Woman on Boat in Fla. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
The jack jumper ant, hopper ant or jumper ant, is a species of bulldog ant that is native to Australia.

Jack jumper ants are carnivores and scavengers. They sting their victims with venom analogous to stings of wasps, bees, and fire ants. Their venom is some of the most powerful in the insect world. Jack jumper ants are proven hunters; even wasps are hunted and devoured. These ants have excellent vision, which aids them in hunting.

The symptoms of the stings of the ants are similar to stings of the fire ants. The reaction is local; swelling, reddening and fever, followed by formation of a blister. The heart rate increases, and blood pressure falls rapidly. In individuals allergic to the venom (about 3% of cases), a sting sometimes causes anaphylactic shock. Although 3% may seem small, jack jumper ants cause more deaths in Tasmania than spiders, snakes, wasps, and sharks combined.

As there name comes from a jumping "motion" and considering the size of it, I don't really see hoq it could jump. but like Zeph said, I won't argue with the Discovery channel. If I remember later I will call my uncle, he works at a zoo in Queensland I think it was, he knows quite a bit on animals. He went to school and studied biology and zoology. Anyway I could see how people could be given quite a scare by these. They are quite big, agressive, and painful.

~~Snow~~

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.