Page 10 of 13 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#42308 - 08/23/10 06:01 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
creativevalue Offline
banned
pledge

If you could refer one book to read which would it be? I must add that when a student in my first freshmen philosophy class we were required to memorize the Communist Manifesto, so please choose another!

Thanks for the list.

E.

#42319 - 08/23/10 08:37 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: creativevalue]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I first read the Communist Manifesto at 15. That was in 1985 when it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that we were going have a nuclear war with the Soviets. Marx pretty much convinced me that I didn't want anything to do with Communism.

So, since you asked, let's take things in the other direction. Read "Might Makes Right" and get back to me.

#42368 - 08/24/10 07:55 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
creativevalue Offline
banned
pledge

Thank you for the referral to read "Might Makes Right". I will take a read of it.

The fear of nuclear war was very real, but our society was very innocent in its idealism. Acceptance of fear was part of life. World War II ended only 30 years before. I was 15 in the 1970's. I miss the idealism and the humanism. There was something romantic about looking for nuclear havens to survive the next holocaust. Of course living in NY and attending a religious school, we just assumed it would be us.

Here is part of history for you to watch on You Tube. One of the greatest speech's ever made was given by Stalin to the Soviet troops the day before the Germans made their final attack on Moscow. If Stalin had not stayed in Moscow, and had not given that speech, the Russian Army may have lost the war, leading to an axis invasion of the Eastern USA (Germany had ships waiting to invade the east coast of the US, and had plans to use nuclear bombs on NY and DC).

You may watch the video on YouTube, search the following title.

Stalin speech - November 7, 1941[English subtitles]

Thank you for the book.

E.

#44105 - 11/16/10 07:58 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
Clarence Offline
pledge

I'm not sure if he has already been mentioned, but Blaise Cendrars strikes me as a satanic figure of sorts. His life and writings. Particularly the novels:

Moravagine

Dan Yack & its sequel

Gold: Being the Marvellous History of General John Augustus Sutter.

Much like Celine, his fiction is often semi-autobiographical - to some extent. I, for one, have found a kindred spirit therein.

As a post script I would suggest that those who have read Myngath should probably take a look at A Posthumous Confession by Marcellus Emants. I can't help but wonder if DWM saw something of himself in Termeer.

#45376 - 12/21/10 01:34 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Clarence]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The Way to Godhood

Don't know if anyone else ever brought this up before, but I came across this one a while ago, apparently it dates to 1914. The book is couched in generally Christian-influenced terminology, but the doctrine espoused is one of self-deification through a sort of Nietzschean master-morality, heavily influenced by the concepts of rational self-interest and social Darwinism. Its ideology is called "The New Commandment". In any case, the resemblance to LaVey's Satanism is most striking, and this was likely a significant influence in the formation of his ideas.

#45406 - 12/21/10 08:43 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: The Zebu]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Clymer was an interesting chap, all right, but not really ASLV's cup of tea.

The Rosicrucians continue to rather puzzle me, in that they work very hard at the Mysteries but seem not quite to know what to do with them. I sometimes wonder what Western history would have been like if Rosicrucianism instead of Christianity had been the dominant "thing". More fun, anyway.

#45407 - 12/21/10 08:52 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

At least we'd have cooler places to sit and meditate or read a book... like the Rosicrucian compound in San Jose:

#45411 - 12/21/10 10:07 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
The AMORC Park is a very beautiful and meticulously-kept place, and happily is open to the public, including their Egyptian Museum and extensive Library. For some reason the Rosicrucians seem to be frightened of me personally, but anyone here shouldn't worry about visiting if you're in the neighborhood. [And it is very amusing to see residential San Jose on one side of the street and ancient Egyptian megabuildings on the other.]

#45571 - 12/24/10 11:32 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I remember reading about the area online and drooling over the prospects of visiting their library, avid bibliolator that I am.

I've been reading up on Rosicrucianism lately, but am having a difficult time mentally bridging the lengthy rennaisance-era tracts on spirituality couched in deliberately-convoluted alchemical metaphors, with the sort of vague Christian/Freemason-ish approaches modern groups seem to take.

#46555 - 01/11/11 05:28 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: The Zebu]
thisoldhippy420 Offline
stranger

Loc: illinois
In my opinion to recommend anything by LaVey has become redundant. Not that I exclude him from my required reding list. However Ragner Redbeard should be considered required reading.
#46602 - 01/12/11 01:41 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: thisoldhippy420]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

As much as I am over prodding the newbs...

Originally Posted By: thisoldhippy420
In my opinion to recommend anything by LaVey has become redundant. Not that I exclude him from my required reding list. However Ragner Redbeard should be considered required reading.

Most who have made it this far have already read LaVey and Might Is Right (or survival of the fittest) was mentioned a few replies up as well as on the first page in case you missed it.

I do look forward to your contribution to the forum.

~T~

#46623 - 01/12/11 09:52 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: creativevalue]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
 Originally Posted By: creativevalue
If you could refer one book to read which would it be?

The Lucifer Principle. The real Satanic Bible, in my humble opinion. If you "get it" and it resonates, you are a Satanist ipso facto.

JK

#46635 - 01/12/11 01:32 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Jason King]
thisoldhippy420 Offline
stranger

I've heard that book being suggested but haven't eead it yet! I definetly should be placeing that one on my amazon wish list.
#46639 - 01/12/11 02:57 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino

The Rosicrucians continue to rather puzzle me, in that they work very hard at the Mysteries but seem not quite to know what to do with them. I sometimes wonder what Western history would have been like if Rosicrucianism instead of Christianity had been the dominant "thing". More fun, anyway.

I dunno, most of the RHP Mysteries that I've looked into seem to want to hover in a middle ground - they're composed of fractally complicated metaphors, but never wind up at anything of substance. Instead, they assume some sort of Abrahamic underpinning exists. Unless I'm just not looking at the right stuff, shrug.

If that's the case, they're not exclusive ... but the thought remains, what would Western history have been like if Rosicrucianism (or another RHP Mystery) was ubiquitious ...

#46642 - 01/12/11 03:25 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
thisoldhippy420 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
I sometimes wonder what Western history would have been like if Rosicrucianism instead of Christianity had been the dominant "thing".

You bring up an interesting question! My theory is things might be a little different. We would definetly see more Rosicrucian compounds in the wourld. And chances are there would be more Rosicrucians in the world.

Page 10 of 13 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.