Page 12 of 13 « First<910111213>
Topic Options
#57405 - 07/23/11 12:15 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
eurorocco Offline
lurker

Loc: NE PA
I just want to thank Fist, and those who stuck with the original premise, for this thread. It goes a little off track at times, but there are some great recommendations here. I've found quite a few new books to add to my reading list. I just recently found the Satanic Bible, so I'm now looking for anything to expand on Lavey's ideas.
I'd like to know what you guys think of Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People". For me personally it opened my eyes to how easily people are influenced without realizing they're being played. It also taught me to avoid being influenced by the same techniques. It's not a great intellectual work, but definitely one for those looking out for number one and trying to avoid falling victim to the same. I haven't read any of his other books, but they all seem to deal with gaining self confidence and learning to assert yourself. Both things that I think Lavey was driving at with the Satanic Bible.

#57409 - 07/23/11 01:15 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: eurorocco]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
Greetings!

If you're looking for "Laveyism" the first place to look is the CoS website... Also, he does have 5 books of his own, and the Church of Satan book written by B.Barton about him. They are; TSB, The Satanic Rituals, The Satanic Witch, Satan Speaks, and Letters From the Devil.

Dr. Aquino has written a couple that mention him and his idea(l)s and you can find them on his website. xeper.org

#57412 - 07/23/11 03:10 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Wicked Satanist]
eurorocco Offline
lurker

Loc: NE PA
Thanks for the recommendations. The CoS website is what initially got me interested in reading TSB, and I just ordered Satan Speaks and The Devil's Notebook the other day.

I've heard mention of Aquino and the Temple of Set while researching the CoS, but I've never read anything of his until now. After skimming his site I'm looking forward to reading more. Much appreciated.

#57718 - 07/28/11 07:56 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Seti 352]
magnitudo Offline
banned
stranger

Loc: Italy
I like very much the Zeena and Nikolas "Demons of the Flesh...". I must read other more but in Italian... is so difficult...

#57750 - 07/29/11 01:32 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: magnitudo]
a. don Offline
pledge

May I recommend "The 48 Laws of Power" and "The 33 War Strategies" by Robert Greene?? It's a great suo genesis for anyone interested in conquest-oriented thought.
#57751 - 07/29/11 02:06 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: a. don]
HeyZeusCreesto Offline
Banned--retard
stranger

Originally Posted By: a. don
May I recommend "The 48 Laws of Power" and "The 33 War Strategies" by Robert Greene?? It's a great suo genesis for anyone interested in conquest-oriented thought.

as a follow up i would recommend "The 50th Law" written and cowritten by Greene and non other than my favorite Philosopher, Curtis Jackson a.k.a 50Cent.

and a quote from one of his scriptures:

"bitch can't get a dolla outta me [...] i'm a muthafukkin P.I.M.P"

#57772 - 07/29/11 01:13 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: a. don]
magnitudo Offline
banned
stranger

Loc: Italy
thank you for your books indications, I will treasure.
\:o

#59362 - 09/22/11 06:01 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Sinthesis]
Rivenstar Offline
stranger

Loc: The city of sin.
Personally, I've always found most anything written by Mark Twain to be rather satanic. But "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court" is undoubtedly my favorite. For a shorter read, I would suggest his "The Mysterious Stranger". I have also found "The Psychology of Adjustment" by Laurance Frederic Shaffer and Edward Joseph Shoben,Jr. to be very useful. I also enjoy reading Thoreau's journals.

#63402 - 01/06/12 07:59 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Rivenstar]
Merkwürdigliebe5 Offline
pledge

I'd like to second the recommendation already made for Stephen Flowers' Lords of the Left Hand Path. Really one of, if not, the best books available on the subject.

I'd also like to, as many already in this thread have, recommend anything by H.P. Lovecraft.

Although an avowed Atheist and mechanical materialist, Lovecraft's work contains what are by far the most stirring fictional depictions of greater black magic in the English language.

Social Darwinists taken with Might Is Right may also want to acquaint themselves with the work of Herbert Spencer, if the haven't already.

Also, anyone interested in studying the psychology of the "herd" mind from a quasi-Satanic perspective might find Le Bon's The Crowd of interest as well.

-Dr. Septimus Pretorius

#64875 - 02/25/12 02:30 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
namingthestars Offline
stranger

I read some of Nietzsche and Machiavelli's works and found them a little challenging, but in general, I liked them. I'm currently finishing up reading Atlas Shrugged, and just as a piece of literature, I love it. Philosophically, I agree with a large portion of what Rand is saying, and it's nice to see things that I believe stated so eloquently. There are things that I disagree with her on (like whether we can be 100% sure that what we perceive is correct, her stance on sexuality, her stance on honesty and manipulation, and so on), but that's why I'm a Satanist, not an Objectivist, and I appreciate that Satanism is influenced by the very things that I agree with her on while discarding most of the things I disagree with her on. It makes me feel even more certain that I've chosen the right religion. I'd suggest that The Picture of Dorian Gray should be on the list as well. There's more in it than in Atlas Shrugged that I disagree with, but there are a lot of things that I agree with and think many Satanists might identify with as well, and even if you don't agree with most of it, it's still a fantastic book (and one of my personal favorites).
#65725 - 03/26/12 08:22 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: eurorocco]
Babylonian Dream Offline
stranger

Loc: Upstate New York
 Originally Posted By: eurorocco
I'd like to know what you guys think of Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

It was hard to find a job until I found that awesome little book. Now, I'm finding it alot easier to get my own way with things, and not just getting a job. I quite like it.

#67217 - 06/07/12 01:17 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Babylonian Dream]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I have been reading Flowers from Hell: a Satanic Reader edited by Nikolas Schreck.

I personally regard this book as an account of the literary construction of Satan during the modern period.

The intention behind this thread, I believe, was to provide a listing of works which the individual can use to ground their own identity, rather than a listing of occult works without that necessary foundation or grounding.

I certainly think this book by Schreck does provide such a foundation, as I think that reflection on the character of Satan is a valuable means of reaching self-understanding and an appreciation of the viewpoint and the actions of Satan in the world is a valuable tool for understanding our own viewpoint and rationale for action.

I think the most interesting parts of Flowers from Hell have been the excerpt from the book by Anatole France called The Revolt of the Angels, highlighting Satan’s self-understanding as the permanent adversary of God and the divine order; and The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain, highlighting Satan’s realism and empiricism (and hence “his” lack of faith and “his” misanthropy) when it comes to evaluating humanity.

Satan certainly carries a number of meanings for me and probably the most enriching one for me at the moment is Satan as the silent dark other, the differance which lies within and undoes the integrity and authority of the text, the empty signifier waiting to be filled or constructed as The Other in the endless game of power struggles, politics, desire and subjectivity.

This is a good book which deserves to be read, if you can get a copy of it.

#70381 - 08/19/12 08:55 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: ]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Some good news - The Werewolf of Paris, written by Guy Endore, has returned to print after being out of print for decades.

This book is a lycanthropic classic and deserves to be read, particularly if you have an interest in exploring the notion of the beast in man and sado-masochism as an essential characteristic of human beings and their relations with each other.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Werewolf-Paris...rewolf+of+paris

#74120 - 01/05/13 03:15 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: ]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Wow, I guess with Runa Raven press going out of business Don Webb's books are suddenly gold!

I had Mysteries of the Temple of Set on my reading list and was notified that the price had gone up... to over a thousand bucks!

Anyone have one they want to sell?

#74122 - 01/05/13 03:31 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fnord]
Le Deluge Offline

Originally Posted By: Fnord
Wow, I guess with Runa Raven press going out of business Don Webb's books are suddenly gold!

I had Mysteries of the Temple of Set on my reading list and was notified that the price had gone up... to over a thousand bucks!

Anyone have one they want to sell?

Wow. I must have bought one of the last copies. I believe it was $15. I suspect it will be reprinted. I know Dr. Stephen Flowers is published through Inner Traditions now. Don Webb has indicated he has future books being published by other companies as well.

Mysteries of The Temple of Set - Ebay at $79 buy.

I won't sell, but I will message you immediately should I find a better deal. I am a bit of a collector and check on books and other items frequently.

OT: I had embarked on a print on demand inquiry/search regarding a number of 'Path relevant texts. No dice so far.

Edited by Le Deluge (01/05/13 03:34 PM)
Edit Reason: addendum

Page 12 of 13 « First<910111213>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.