Page 13 of 14 « First<1011121314>
Topic Options
#74131 - 01/05/13 07:49 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fnord]
Conchis Offline

Loc: us
 Originally Posted By: Fnord
Wow, I guess with Runa Raven press going out of business Don Webb's books are suddenly gold!

I had Mysteries of the Temple of Set on my reading list and was notified that the price had gone up... to over a thousand bucks!

Anyone have one they want to sell?

After reading this I had to check my book collection out and see if I had anything by Don Webb. I did not happen to have a copy of Mysteries of the Temple of Set but I did find a first edition copy of The Seven Faces of Darkness (Practical Typhonian Magic) by Don Webb.

Then I opened up the book to check it out and its even signed by Webb with a little note to my father that reads.

To Rodger
The newest TOS-1 book, a gift from me to the SOA or SOD guild(I could not quite make out the guild abbreviation) Best in opening the way.

Xeper,
Don Webb

It was an interesting find I thought.

Edited by Conchis (01/05/13 07:52 PM)

#77724 - 07/03/13 01:48 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
Azrael999 Offline
Banned
pledge

You be into some serious literature.About the only book I've read is the -Hagakure-It's a book of the Sameri. The majority f it Is like a guide book of rules and principles and no budism....It's like a guide book for those that hold themselves upright...Hard to explain...But there is a threat or not threat but understaning about the code of the Samari. When you've reached a certain form of descracing the family that you should show honor by another topic........Ace

#94034 - 10/30/14 09:06 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Fist]
witch Offline
pledge

I think Franz Kafka's "The castle" and "The Trial" and Albert Camus' "The Stranger" should be a part of this list. And also
Baruch Spinoza's "Ethics" and George Orwell's "Animal Farm".

Please give reasons as to why you want them added, when you post something like this.
It gives better insight into the books and your thought processes.
Morgan

Edited by Morgan (08/22/15 12:43 PM)
Edit Reason: Information

#103704 - 11/03/15 08:33 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: witch]
lady_aosoth Offline
stranger

Many books I love have already been mentioned... Most existential texts hit home -

Being & Nothingness by Sartre
Being & Time by Heidegger
Beyond Good & Evil by Nietzsche
Naos and other classic ONA mss

An interesting recent read inclusive of rituals was The Black Ship by Malphas.

#103774 - 11/06/15 05:16 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: lady_aosoth]
numen Offline

Naos and classic ONA texts + The Black Ship by Malphas. lol
#104029 - 11/23/15 02:54 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: numen]
Synthesist Offline
stranger

"The Old Enemy: Satan and the Combat Myth" by Neil Forsyth, if anyone wants to go the scholarly route and read up on where the idea of a cosmic adversary started and how it developed through various cultures into the modern Satan. I also have his "The Satanic Epic", about Paradise Lost. Forsyth is a literature professor, so his books approach these stories as narratives, rather than from a Christian theological perspective. I've found them invaluable.

In the same line, Elaine Pagels' "Origin of Satan" and Russell's four books are helpful.

There's a lot of goofy "history" put forward by Satanic groups, little of it with any kind of scholarly underpinning. I think it's important to know what the actual history looks like. My next step is looking at the cultural milieu at various points of the development of the idea of Satan.

#108002 - 08/11/16 11:00 AM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Synthesist]
duhsquidbilly Offline
stranger

Loc: CO,USA
I would recommend "God and State" by Bakunin. Especially the chapters dealing with his correspondances with Mazzini.

Also, Von Clausewitz's "On War", and Frontinus Sextus Julius's "The Stratagems of War". Both are excellent reading material to apply to the everyday struggle for survival.

#108006 - 08/11/16 02:25 PM Re: Books of the Left Hand Path [Re: Synthesist]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Synthesist
There's a lot of goofy "history" put forward by Satanic groups, little of it with any kind of scholarly underpinning. I think it's important to know what the actual history looks like. My next step is looking at the cultural milieu at various points of the development of the idea of Satan.

I feel your pain. Go to the Kindle [not the paperback] edition of my The Church of Satan here, click on the "Look Inside" feature, and scroll back to "Chapter 1: Antecedents", which is reproduced in full.

As a general FYI: When you're checking out books on Amazon with Kindle e-versions as well, you'll probably find a more extensive, and often better-chosen "Look Inside" feature on the Kindle page. Caveat that if the K-version is just raw text, this may not be all that helpful. All of my books have been "print replica" Kindle-ized, which results in a K-verion identical to the printed. It's the only way to handle large amounts of footnotes, which I usually have.

If you decide to write a book or two, I strongly recommend Amazon's CreateSpace as a nice, friendly, and $0 cost way to publish it. I think I've discussed this elsewhere on 600C. If you do, and decide to do a Kindle version, I strongly recommend that you download software such as the one I use, Kindle Textbook Creator, to produce a "print replica", much better than "raw Kindle"!

#108523 - 09/08/16 04:48 PM Will to Power: Legitimate? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Sargeist Offline

Loc: Chile
I'm trying to finish Also Sprach Zarathustra for the third time and even though I know Will to Power was one of the recommended books here I'm having second thoughts on finishing it because it was basically redone by Nietzsche's sister in order to fit her own fascist ideology. I want to read him not her.

Does any of you consider Will to Power a good read despite that? Why?

#109082 - 09/26/16 01:48 PM Re: Will to Power: Legitimate? [Re: Sargeist]
XeperaEmSet Offline
pledge

Not sure if they were mentioned but

Lords of the Left Hand Path - Stephen Flowers

The Invention of Satanism - Dyrendal, Lewis, and Peterson

The works of Aquino and Webb of course.

I also really recommend reading the fiction of Lovecraft.

Edited by XeperaEmSet (09/26/16 01:49 PM)

#111719 - 03/10/17 04:54 PM Re: Will to Power: Legitimate? [Re: XeperaEmSet]
duhsquidbilly Offline
stranger

Loc: CO,USA
https://archive.org/details/TephenFlowersBlackRuna

In case Jew just didn't know.

It is there.

Do you feel guilty for hacking?
Although Webb and other authors from the temple are much harder to trace. Aquino and Webb's basic works still draw the hits. I saw Flowers' Lords of the Left Hand Path in my local shop a few days ago, $24.95.

Edited by duhsquidbilly (03/10/17 04:58 PM)

#116360 - 05/30/18 12:20 PM Re: Will to Power: Legitimate? [Re: duhsquidbilly]
Dark One Offline
pledge

I have read all these new Atheism books from Dawkins, Hitchen's and Harris and what have you. Their criticisms and points against the truth claims of mainstream religion are very good but these guys are ultimately against religion and 'spiritual' I don't mean the supernatural as such it's one of those difficult to define qualities of human life though it is very much a reality of human life.

Satanism as far as I'm concerned is an actual legitimate religion not Atheism. so I wouldn't really recommend these guys as 'Left Hand Path' as they don't really have much of a clue beyond tearing down peoples unsubstantiated and bizarre beliefs which is like shooting fish in a barrel. 'Lords of the Left Hand Path Forbidden Practices & Spiritual Heresies' and 'The Reality of Bring' are two better 'Left Hand Path' books.

#116361 - 05/30/18 01:08 PM Re: Will to Power: Legitimate? [Re: Dark One]
Phoenician Offline
pledge

Loc: CA
 Quote:
I have read all these new Atheism books from Dawkins, Hitchen's and Harris and what have you. Their criticisms and points against the truth claims of mainstream religion are very good but these guys are ultimately against religion and 'spiritual' I don't mean the supernatural as such it's one of those difficult to define qualities of human life though it is very much a reality of human life.

Satanism as far as I'm concerned is an actual legitimate religion not Atheism. so I wouldn't really recommend these guys as 'Left Hand Path' as they don't really have much of a clue beyond tearing down peoples unsubstantiated and bizarre beliefs which is like shooting fish in a barrel. 'Lords of the Left Hand Path Forbidden Practices & Spiritual Heresies' and 'The Reality of Bring' are two better 'Left Hand Path' books.

I don't get how the spiritual (especially in the "occult" context) qualifies as anything LHP. 

I have always held an interpretation of LHP which goes through a logic gate of belief.  Is it approached through faith (Do you need to believe in ideas not events) as a method of attainment.  True/False. 

I think Dawkins And Co. have a more LHP perspective than most that call themselves satanists, especially those that call themselves occultist. IMO, It is refreshing to hear criticisms along the; No you can't control the objective universe with magic, you are just full of your own red herring fallacy lines. And these atheists just so happen to be the only ones saying those things.

#116362 - 05/30/18 02:37 PM Re: Will to Power: Legitimate? [Re: Phoenician]
samowens84 Offline

My opinion of "atheists" as I've come to understand it is that they are useful idiots for other entities to keep power out of the hands of the less worthy. At least those who make a career out of it. Settling for a paycheck and avoiding the supernatural is a safe space for those who might be a bit frightened of progression. However, unlike some Satanists I don't cringe at the idea of so called "safe spaces." "Atheism" is a valid safe space to protect yourself from fear that might actually hinder your progress. Some people who would strip that away from you aren't actually interested in your progression.

Personal emotional safety and shelter is a dynamic tool that is in my experience necessary for progression, while those who would rather you not progress out of fear or whatever will try to shame you out of it by calling it "unsatanic" or whatever. A lot of people come here who are born Satanists who don't fit the mold but nevertheless also find that their identity is fractured and are a bit predisposed to people pleasing because these individuals are often resourceful enough to hang on to some purity or innocence in spite of everything, but are just fractured enough to be compartmentalized and controlled. Whatever your path takes you is between you and Satan or whatever other entities you might choose to deal with. My two cents. Fuck anyone else because in a world ruled by ambition not everyone is your friend. Look out for yourself.

Edited by samowens84 (05/30/18 02:38 PM)

#116366 - 05/30/18 03:55 PM Re: Will to Power: Legitimate? [Re: samowens84]
Phoenician Offline
pledge

Loc: CA
 Quote:
My opinion of "atheists" as I've come to understand it is that they are useful idiots for other entities to keep power out of the hands of the less worthy. At least those who make a career out of it. Settling for a paycheck and avoiding the supernatural is a safe space for those who might be a bit frightened of progression. However, unlike some Satanists I don't cringe at the idea of so called "safe spaces." "Atheism" is a valid safe space to protect yourself from fear that might actually hinder your progress. Some people who would strip that away from you aren't actually interested in your progression.

That might be the most flawed argument I have read in a while, and a nice bit of apologetic gymnastics. Unless my reading comprehension fails me yet again...

You have in effect contrived another degree of influence to call a skeptical mindset fearful. You're saying that underneath what "atheists" say is a belief they are repressing. That they're critical positions limit their opportunities and experiences that lack of belief makes them afraid of getting otherwise. Or part of being human is an innate spirituality. Very christian argument that.

It's superfluous, a crutch, and entirely unnecessary. Unless you can give me a legitimate example in which a critical mindset actually limits progression?

Contrarily, I believe a critical mindset gave 'humanity' EVERY notable progression we have. Like that one mouthwash guy who said, "I believe sickness is caused by single celled organisms that attack our bodies."

Page 13 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.