Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#60805 - 11/02/11 02:34 AM Reputation Points System
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
I thought it might be a good idea to get a Reputation Points system for the forum. Something like this: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/qu...ints-explained/

The current system, as I understand it, upgrades your title based on what the mods assign to you, but maybe this could be easier.

#60806 - 11/02/11 02:39 AM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Alex Crowley]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Actually, the current title system is based upon total post count. But Mods can assign their own titles if you earn them*. Personally, I think a person's post speak to their "reputation" better than any point system could.

*I've never seen someone assigned a flattering title so if the Mods change yours, it's because you have fucked up.

#60807 - 11/02/11 02:55 AM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Bottom-up systems only end in degeneration. The last thing you want is users rating others users. Before you know it, you got a load of morons all thinking they're gold and rating each other as such.

D.

#60809 - 11/02/11 03:02 AM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Diavolo]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I think 6 and Diavolo are absolutely right. And this post had bloody well better count towards my getting a new title soon. ;\)

#60840 - 11/02/11 11:31 AM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: felixgarnet]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
I think 600 has a sound system for user titles. It makes people want to log on, makes them want to post. The "quality factor" at 600 tends to negate any issue with inane commentary.

The system proposed leads to popularity being more of a factor than merit.

#60856 - 11/02/11 02:07 PM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: FemaleSatan]
Alex Crowley Offline

Originally Posted By: Diavolo
Bottom-up systems only end in degeneration. The last thing you want is users rating others users. Before you know it, you got a load of morons all thinking they're gold and rating each other as such.

I didn't think of that. Or you'll get everyone asking for Rep. That would get annoying as hell in time.

Originally Posted By: felixgarnet
I think 6 and Diavolo are absolutely right. And this post had bloody well better count towards my getting a new title soon.

Speaking of which, this is post number 101. ;\)

#60857 - 11/02/11 02:22 PM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Alex Crowley]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I remember we had some "star" rating for posts in a previous version but this too is subject to bottom-up problems. Even if fifty people think a specific post is a "five star", the moment one rates it one or zero, the average drops directly.

All these systems are vulnerable to the same problems.

Unless a group is composed out of the same kind of people, no system is very reliable.

D.

#60864 - 11/02/11 02:46 PM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Diavolo]
Jake999 Offline

So... someone wants a medal for posting something pithy or succinct? I might suggest the Temple of Set.

One doesn't post to earn badges or medals or even brownie points. They post because they have something meaningful to share, and would do so with or without incentives to do so. If people think it's a great piece of writing, great. If they don't, oh well, try to do better next time.

#60865 - 11/02/11 02:49 PM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Diavolo]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
SIN has that issue with the ability to rate blogs. Some of the most inane posts there get five stars because one person rated that and some of the best writing that goes up will have 4. something, due to somebody rating it down.

#60866 - 11/02/11 02:57 PM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Jake999]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Indeed Jake, you participate in a debate because that's what you want to do and you say what you have to say.

Looking smart, being adored or desiring respect shouldn't be the drive in life. Being at your best should.

If you do that, all the rest follows.

D.

#60867 - 11/02/11 03:03 PM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Diavolo]
Alex Crowley Offline

Originally Posted By: Diavolo
Looking smart, being adored or desiring respect shouldn't be the drive in life. Being at your best should.

Agreed. If people posted just to look smart and be adored they'd probably be with the CoS and not here. People will see whether or not your posts are worthwhile instead of looking at your Rep. Then, as you said, there are also the problems with the system.

Putting things in perspective like that, the current rating system works best.

#61372 - 11/13/11 04:15 PM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: Alex Crowley]
LeftHandonFeet Offline

Double that Alex, I agree with you and Diavolo both. Appearance is not everything- numerous occults and secret socities have been founded with a "fresh perspective" and a "new revelation". But so much fools gold is out there- we just have to learn to scratch at the surface a little bit. Sure we should take pride in ourselves and all we do, which includes what we post on The 600 Club, but counter productive pride can cause someone to make an ass out of themselves in trying to hard to impress upon people that they have been around the block and know the ropes. The wisest men on earth will tell you that knowledge is useless without practical experience that enables you to put the knowledge into practice.

#61750 - 11/24/11 03:35 AM Re: Reputation Points System [Re: LeftHandonFeet]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I have a solid rule of only posting on something if I really feel a strong enough interest to and what I have to say hasn't already been said to death. There would be a lot less fluff to sort through if everyone had the same restraint.
It's the content-means-all atmosphere that makes me like this place to begin with and I'm sure most regulars here feel the same. I doubt it will be messed with any time soon.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 26 queries. Zlib compression disabled.