Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#61120 - 11/05/11 03:53 AM Interesting stuff on the brain
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole

I think this speech gives some interesting insight into the mechanical side of how we think and focus. I really enjoyed it.

My quick dumb notes-
Right side of the brain thinks for the big picture
Left side of the brain thinks for specific pieces
The front part of the brain selectively inhibits what's going on in those parts.

Why is this really important to me?
I think the realization that big-picture thinking and specific focus are two physically separate simultaneous processes is greatly significant in understanding how we think. Understanding how we think is essentially understanding what we are. (Not that say I'm one of these "I HAVE TO KNOW IF I REALLY HAVE FREE WILL TO SLEEP AT NIGHT!" types)

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on what's said here or see any interesting practical or philosophical implications?

#61127 - 11/05/11 10:58 AM Re: Interesting stuff on the brain [Re: TV is God]
Vinter Offline
stranger

Old news I would guess, but it sure is interesting. The human brain is without doubt a machinery far beyond our simple understanding, and I don't think we'll ever be able to understand all that goes on in there. Your video does however remind me of this (which I guess is kind of old news too). I've always found quite funny. She turns anti-clockwise to me, but I've managed to make her turn clockwise on a couple of occasions by focusing on the leg she stands on.
#61141 - 11/05/11 04:09 PM Re: Interesting stuff on the brain [Re: Vinter]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I didn't watch the whole video but I've been reading and watching about severed Corpus Callosum patients (split-brain) and how they provide a good insight into our brain.

What is most interesting is that one part is specialized in making sense of observation even when the explanation they give doesn't necessarily has any relation to what they observed.

There are some videos out there which you might want to watch. It is interesting to see how the right hemisphere sees something but can't describe it because it doesn't get that information from the left but amazingly, it can draw what it perceived.

These sort of discoveries tell us quite a lot about how our brain works and that the thing we call Self, is quite dependent on an accurately working brain.

D.

#61167 - 11/06/11 03:47 AM Re: Interesting stuff on the brain [Re: Diavolo]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
While I was searching around for more information on this stuff I stumbled on THIS!

Very off topic of the split-brain stuff but this looks like a major step forward in understanding visual memory. Now it might just be because it's late but it took me a few reads of a few different articles to wrap my head around exactly what the video shows because it's obviously not as straight forward as video sucked out of your head.

Somebody correct me if I've misunderstood but it seems what they've done is have people watch a bunch of movie trailers while measuring brain activity.

They then compiled hours of completely random youtube video and fed it through whatever mathematical-computer-video-voodoo-magic that identifies shapes, movement, and whatever else and using it to paint in what they were able to detect. And what we see are blobs that form similar shapes and movements to what they've seen in the trailers.

So essentially we have an incredibly unrefined but demonstrable method of capturing how the brain stores video.

According to the article, what's holding this back is the limits of mri. So if we see a major breakthrough in brain-scanning technology we could crack open the film vault in our skull and some speculate we could even record dreams.

And some further fear-the-future thought- Say we do have a major breakthrough in brain scanning and can lift video out of the brain easily-- does this open the possibility of making up some video and throwing it in there and implanting false memories?

I didn't mean to derail my own thread into sci-fi so quickly but this just blew my mind.

#61180 - 11/06/11 09:21 AM Re: Interesting stuff on the brain [Re: TV is God]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

The main problem with this is that each brain has its own unique make-up and that you can't develop technology (yet) that can peek into each different brain and get the same results.

It's like those game-controllers they are developing which you can use to play brain-games solely controlled by "thinking" the commands. To make them work, you have to calibrate each thought; think "forward" and let the computer learn which brain "signal" is linked to that.

And this is the major problem they run into each time. On average most brains work identical but because our neural networks all developed slightly different, there's no "one to rule them all".

It is going to take quite some time before we need to fear mind-scanners.

D.

#61181 - 11/06/11 09:26 AM Re: Interesting stuff on the brain [Re: Diavolo]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Here's a video about split-brains.

And here's some article I read a while ago. Gazzaniga is the authority on this subject.

Decoding the brain...

D.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.