Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#61280 - 11/09/11 09:39 PM Acupuncture anyone?
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
A little bit of history.... Almost 2 years ago I compressed 4 vertebrae and this spring I found out that the 2 middle ones are bulging. Well, they were then and since then I've worked a job that has certainly done more damage, which I won't know the extent of the possible damage from for about another month or so. I did this injury on the job and long story short, the employer has tried to deny any help for me at every turn, leaving me waiting to get help on and off the last 2 years. I will finally be getting some very late and needed help but we won't be able to get an MRI until we see what this currently "allowed treatment" will do and won't do for me first. With a self-insured company Worker's Comp can be even nastier than usual. I was informed that "Some things can't be fixed." by the Worker's Comp doctor and he seems to be holding me to that.

I've now got a 7% disability and have been looking for way to manage the chronic pain and the now occurring leg/back spasms that have at times caused me to "dance" in stores while waiting for the spasms to stop in my legs while holding on to a cart or shelf. I went for my first acupuncture treatment today and have to say, I have never experienced anything like it while completely sober. The first few needles I got the same sensation that I've had before when I've been almost too drunk and had to put a hand on the wall near me while I was laying in bed, or a foot on the floor. The differences, I was sober and never got the feeling I was going to puke. This subsided and soon the feeling was completely gone.

I thought the doctor had put about 6 needles in my back and leg (the one giving me the worst spasms) and had hooked up about 4 of them with electrodes to stimulate the muscles. Come to find out he'd put between 12 to 15 needles all along my back, hips, down that leg and even into my foot. He had hooked up 6 needles to electrodes. I was surprised to find that when I tried to stand up, my legs felt secure under me and I had no stabbing pain down my leg at all. He informed me that he had buried about 1 1/2" of those needles in my leg, hips and back. I was surprised to not even have pain from that.

I got home and found that my energy was completely gone and within an hour had to sleep. I rested for almost 2 hours and felt like I was completely refreshed when I got up. I've got some soreness in my foot, ankle and even in the top of my "butt" cheek muscle tonight but I can sit without having severe spasms and have to move every 2 to 3 minutes to adjust. I find I can stand without feeling like my leg is going to buckle, and that I can bend over without feeling like my knees are going to give out. I can deal with soreness instead of shooting pain. I can't wait to see what my visit Friday morning brings as well, because I have intentions of asking him to help with my energy being that I don't want to come home and just sleep again. As good as it felt, and I feel even tonight, I need to be able to stay awake too.

I know I'm rambling, but I'm curious if any of you have had experience with acupuncture. What did you try acupuncture for? What was your first experience like? Did it help you and how long did you try this for? Are any of you currently doing acupuncture?

I'm hoping to get more insite and what the long term of doing this may lead to for me. I have a feeling that I'll be in this for the long haul because of my back and the length the damage has continued/progressed.

#61284 - 11/10/11 11:49 AM Re: Acupuncture anyone? [Re: Nyte]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
If I were you I’d find myself a lawyer. If you were injured on the job and are unsatisfied with how the company is handling it, you should pursue legal action. There are, I’m sure, plenty of attorneys who would take your case. If you’re unsure where to look, just watch “Jerry Springer” and wait for the commercials.

I’ve heard good things about acupuncture, although I’ve never tried it myself. One thing that would concern me is the idea of having to do it for the rest of your life. You should ask about this. If this is a lifetime commitment, how will you pay for it? I don’t think many insurances pay for “alternative treatments” such as acupuncture, and even if they did I doubt they would pay for a lifetime of treatments. Good luck.

#61286 - 11/10/11 01:50 PM Re: Acupuncture anyone? [Re: William Wright]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for the advice William. I've got an attorney. That's how I got the 7% permanent partial disability and no matter what I do, it'll be life long now. As the Worker's Comp doc told me," Some things can't be fixed." I'm stuck with this for life because they waited so long and wouldn't allow me to get the treatments I needed right away to actually fix the problem. They've tried to deny immediate care when it's gotten so bad that I ended up in the emergency room because of the pain. I'm looking in to a personal injury lawyer now because everyone seems to think they can just pass along my "problem", including my EX-doctor and my attorney, and tell me that we just have to wait until worker's comp approves something. I know that's bullshit because I've been down this road before and got what I needed without all this crap and no permanent damage, and that was over 13 years ago. I also know the longer they keep making me wait the worse it's going to get. This is how and why stenosis of the spine occurs and I'm not waiting for them to tell me what is allowed any more. So fighting is exactly what I've been having to do and will have to continue to do.

Alternative or not, they keep trying to refuse anything, and because this is work related, I shouldn't have to place this on my personal insurance. I plan on going after the company for the payments I'm paying for now, simply because by the time this gets into a court I should be able to show enough improvement just in regular functions, like walking without having horrible spasms. As long as I have continued back issues from this injury, they may not have a choice in paying because of the permanent partial disability which will increase as things get worse if I don't get the help I need. I'm just hoping to stave off surgery at this point and not rupture discs. Then they'd have more crap to pay for then just some doc putting needles in my back once a month to once every 6 months or so. I don’t tolerate the medications and my daily functioning was diminishing greatly at an alarming rate. So better to find something else I guess then to keep just “waiting”.

Thank you for the good luck. I may need it but for now I plan on making a firm stand.

……Ok, pun intended.

#61323 - 11/12/11 07:28 AM Re: Acupuncture anyone? [Re: Nyte]
LeftHandonFeet Offline

Im glad to hear you got something out of the company- the "good ol days" that employers miss are long gone where they can dance around liability. If push comes to shove, you might even need to report the incident to the Department of Labor for the very reason that labor laws demand work related injuries to be dealt with and treatment paid for, and in a timely fashion at that. BUT consult with your attorney before doing so- and best of luck getting more money.
I understand some people are skeptical about the practice, but I know firsthand that chiropractic works. I live in the same city as world renown Life University, and Palmer is one state south in Florida so yeah metro Atlanta is full of great chiropractors and I not only approve of the practice but advocate and endorse it. My most recent treatment is current as I missed a solid week of work due to a vertebrae out of place that caused severe pain and limited my mobility and strength severely. Now Im walking on water!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.