Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#61656 - 11/22/11 03:24 AM Voodoo Ceremonies
Meph9 Offline

I have searched for many hours and even months on the topic of voodoo ritual formats and I have found little to nothing. So my questions are does voodoo even have detailed ritual formulas or is each ceremony just made of by the person preforming it? And how does that work for solitary practioners? Can it be practiced in a solitary way at all?

Any good details or instructions?

books, links, insights?

#61657 - 11/22/11 07:11 AM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: Meph9]
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
I haven't read up much on Voodoo (I'm keeping that on my to-do list for now), but one of the books I did get to was The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook by Denise Alvarado, which you can have a look at over here:

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Hoodoo-Spellbook-Denise-Alvarado/dp/144211892X

#61674 - 11/22/11 07:08 PM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: Meph9]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
It deserves mention that Voodoo and Hoodoo are related, but not the same thing. Voodoo (or Vodoun) is an initiatory religion that venerates the Lwa. Hoodoo is african-american folk magic that is not a religion itself, but mixes elements of different religions, including Voodoo, Catholicism, and grimoire magic.

To practice Voodoo you must be initiated by a traditional group and dedicate yourself to the Lwa. To practice Hoodoo you need only the knowledge and skill necessary to work the mojo.

I do not have first-hand knowledge of Vodoun ceremonies, but the most detailed book I have read so far on the topic is "Secrets of Voodoo" by Milo Rigaud. There seems to be a basic ritual order marked by lengthy litanies to God, the Lwa, and ancestral spirits, followed by libations of food and alcohol, with singing, dancing, drumming, and occasional possession. The exact format varies from tradition to tradition.

One cannot be self-initiated in Voodoo, and must attain higher degrees of initiation before they are permitted to perform certain rites (such as leading group ceremonies, and sacrificing animals)

However, an initiate is able to perform solitary devotional rites, and basic practical rituals.

It is also possible for the uninitiated to have "working relationships" with the some Lwa on their own, but this is not the same as being initiated.

#61944 - 11/28/11 01:09 AM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: The Zebu]
thedeadidea Offline

I don't own this book but I have purchased 3 books now from this publishing house. They seem to publish the most authentic accounts that might be considered authentic vs neopagan reconstruction bullshit.

http://store.innertraditions.com/isbn/978-1-59477-435-5

#64816 - 02/23/12 03:40 PM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: thedeadidea]
Kali Offline
stranger

Here's some background: http://altreligion.net/?page_id=359

From what I know of, Vodoun is the African Religion which involves ancestor/saint worship, intermediaries who are Loas like messengers, but they can be of different temperaments and not all "fluff" and then Bondye the father-type God.

I've done some more loose work with Hoodoo; I set up an ancestral altar and gave offerings to Vodou Loa. It was helpful to me, and I learned more about them. The Loa demand politeness and respect so approach them correctly. They have multiple facets and personalities, and will reward you for rituals and offerings.

You can go to a graveyard where someone has died, offer the ancestor some Rum, candy, and cigarettes. Then you back away facing the grave because you never "turn your back on the dead" is what I've read, and then leave some coins at the gate as an exchange if you take graveyard dirt.

Graveyard dirt is used in spells esp. involving Necromancy. Voodoo dolls are not hard to make or control, but it involves a lot of precaution and talent, I have not mastered it and I'm more into nature magic.

The rituals in Hoodoo involve making a request and leaving offerings on your alter or in nature. That's what I've gathered so far. The altars can be very elaborate depending on the nature of your desire and how close you are with the Pantheon.

#65363 - 03/10/12 12:55 AM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: Kali]
Tuesday Offline
lurker

Loc: Ohio
Anyone have any ,preferably firsthand, knowledge of The Wachawi sect of VooDoo? This tradition is from the Spice Islands of Zanzibar and Pemba off the East coast of Africa (Tanzania). The most I have found is general references, all pertaining to the secret nature of the practice. The sect is much feared and is believed to be the basis of rumors involving re-animation of dead bodies. Also, taking form of various animals and cannibalism.
Apparently, The sect has been around for centuries and part of the ruling class of East African areas. Rulers being heads of the order(sect). They may have been referred to simply as cannibals by early seafarers in reference.

#65533 - 03/17/12 02:49 PM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: Tuesday]
Scar13 Offline
stranger

Loc: WA
There is a Vodou priesthood but there are so many followers that many practioners have never been initiated but are dedicated servants to Iwa. There are many Houngans and Mambos that have come above ground these days and offer there services to the public. In fact you will now be able to find many on e bay selling their products. If you are serious then I would check out the ritual items being offered from Haiti and South America or you may be able to find a Botanica near your town. The best bet is to find a Latino populated area near you and there will probably be one somewhere in the area. The Iwa is present in everyday life... They are in the wind, storms, rivers and oceans... The reason for the intertwining of the catholic saints in Vodou is because of the slave trade and catholic influence which forced Vodouisants to hide their practices. So it has evolved into what it is today... Still you have different practices that are similar such as Santeria (Right hand) and Pomba Gira (Left hand). The Iwa look at their followers as their children. You may find some practioners tell you that you MUST make sure you follow every little detail in offerings or the Iwa will get upset and cause harm. Some will say that they would never hurt their own children but it really lies in the middle of the road. The Iwa are demanding and come from a hierarchical society and you need to respect your elders. So if you plan to do a ritual and only dabble in Vodun then a one time pact might be a better choice or perhaps better not performed at all. However, some will tell you that because you are not initiated and do not practice as a Vodouisant that your request may be ignored. As for the rituals- it depends on your intent. As with Daemons there are different Pomba Gira’s and Iwa’s that are addressed for each request. They can range from using pig’s blood and offerings of wine or food. There are certain colors for candles and correspondences for different Iwa and so forth. You must do your research to find these specifications. There are a few books that I recommend you read to understand the rituals and Iwa’s for what you are doing. They are:

Pomba Gira and the Quimbanda of Mbumba Nzila by Frisvold

Kiumbanda A Complete Grammer of the Art of Exu also by Frisvold

The Hatian Vodou Handbook by Kenaz Filan

Can you specify if your intent is baneful or an improvement of life…

#65534 - 03/17/12 02:50 PM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: Scar13]
Scar13 Offline
stranger

Loc: WA
Or if it is a protective measure such as stop others from talking bad about you then there is a spell you can do that involves a cow's tongue. If it is something of this nature then PM me and I can help you.

#65563 - 03/18/12 08:13 PM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: Scar13]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL

Quote:
If you are serious then I would check out the ritual items being offered from Haiti and South America or you may be able to find a Botanica near your town.

Botanicas are a treasure trove of resources, not just for ATR practitioners, but for any tradition of magic. There's a ton of them over where I live and I frequent them regularly... they kinda make the local New-Age joint look paltry by comparison.

Quote:
Still you have different practices that are similar such as Santeria (Right hand) and Pomba Gira (Left hand).

This is a somewhat inaccurate assessment. Firstly, Pomba Gira is a goddess, not the name of a practice-- which is properly called Quimbanda (or Kimbanda, depending on the amount of African influence). Quimbanda itself is the Afro-Brazilian cult of Exu and Pomba Gira, syncretized with Satan and His Bride.

Santeria does share some similarities with Quimbanda, but overall they come from entirely different parts of the Caribbean (Cuba and Brazil respectively), and in turn, different regions of Africa-- Quimbanda has its roots in the Congo, whereas Santeria finds its home among the Yoruba peoples to the north. One of the central figures of Santeria is the Orisha named Esu, who-- despite having many similarities-- is not the same entity as Exu.

Santeria itself does have some "Left Hand" practices, such as ritual homosexuality practiced by some priests of Esu, in a religion where homosexuality is generally taboo. Santeros are also free to perform destructive magic with the proper license.

There are also numerous other distinct but interconnected paths, such as Umbanda, Palo Monte, Mayombe, Candomble, etc, that make a strict Left/Right dichotomy troublesome. Furthermore, the apparent moral differences between them are largely cosmetic.

Santeros, for instance, sometimes consider Paleros to be immoral black magicians. Practitioners of Palo Monte, in turn, consider themselves to be moral, and accuse Mayoberos of being the black magicians. But at the end of the day they all venerate spirits of the dead, sacrifice animals, and do not hesitate to curse others when the cause is justified.

However I do agree with you that Quimbanda is definitely "left of center", and is characterized by conscious desire to explore and exalt the darker shades of the psyche.

Quote:
You may find some practioners tell you that you MUST make sure you follow every little detail in offerings or the Iwa will get upset and cause harm. Some will say that they would never hurt their own children but it really lies in the middle of the road. The Iwa are demanding and come from a hierarchical society and you need to respect your elders. So if you plan to do a ritual and only dabble in Vodun then a one time pact might be a better choice or perhaps better not performed at all.

The modern Western occultist, having little grounding in hard tradition, meets a certain predicament when approaching the African religions. The devotee of African deities is expected to adhere to a shared cultural framework of oral custom and the approval of elders, whereas the western magician is used to simply patching his own system together from books.

I personally think this problem sorts itself out in the long run, though. Those who believe in the reality of spirits will be more inclined to seek traditional initiation, since this allegedly places them in their good favor. The NLP relativist types, on the other hand, won't have the discipline to adhere to the demanding practices required of them with any serious depth.

#81067 - 10/10/13 01:11 AM Re: Voodoo Ceremonies [Re: The Zebu]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
Recently I did a ritual with a Santeria priestess (I think she was a priestess, or at least very strong devotee) who works with and is devoted to one of the Orishas...
Its fascinating how she (the Orisha) was manifesting itself during the ritual and afterwards. Her traces and her presence are still everywhere. I am swept off my feet...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.