Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#61941 - 11/28/11 12:44 AM won't somebody think of the children....
thedeadidea Offline

Out and about today I wandered past the public stage where the christmas carols were going on with what seemed to be children under the age of 10. I paused to watch it for about half a minute, particularly the audience as I saw there goofy grin and puppy dog eyes for there child's song and dance.

I found myself thinking just how much of a mundane public affair with regard for parents finding shit for their kids to do is just a a parade of innocence. What do the rest of you think about children and public affairs and rituals ?

#61964 - 11/28/11 12:36 PM Re: won't somebody think of the children.... [Re: thedeadidea]
dust-e sheytoon Offline

Loc: NYC
Well this reminds me of when I was eleven years old and a group of my pre-teen friends went out caroling at the giant mansions in the neighborhood not far away. Some people were giving us cider or cookies. But when a hippie opened the door of one of the mansions, a cloud of weed smoke wafted out into the night and we could see a big party inside. He and his friends invited us in. We found this offer enticing, but politely declined.

Yule is a Germanic and Norse tradition, and surely they have their own songs. Are there demons or Satanic members of the Norse or Germanic pantheons, whose songs could be sung? Or have modern Satanic composers and lyricists written some spirited songs that could be enjoyable to sing together in a festive way? I remember ASL sang some songs that he also played on organ.

#61969 - 11/28/11 04:33 PM Re: won't somebody think of the children.... [Re: thedeadidea]
Czereda Online

Loc: Poland
In Polish schools we have Christmas plays and a lot of caroling. Children dress up for angels, Virgin Mary, Jesus, Joseph, shepherds, sometimes animals. It is up to teachers and kids to decide how to spend the last days before Christmas holiday. There is a school Christmas Eve, sharing wafer, saying wishes, cakes, sweets.

From what I know kids usually like singing Christmas carols. When they dress up for angels it does not mean that they are angels. It is just fun, they enjoy it more than regular lessons.

#61971 - 11/28/11 05:34 PM Re: won't somebody think of the children.... [Re: dust-e sheytoon]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I don't mind a bit of corny pageantry. I personally think it's nice to see a few scraps of tradition left in the holidays.

Quote:
Yule is a Germanic and Norse tradition, and surely they have their own songs. Are there demons or Satanic members of the Norse or Germanic pantheons, whose songs could be sung? Or have modern Satanic composers and lyricists written some spirited songs that could be enjoyable to sing together in a festive way? I remember ASL sang some songs that he also played on organ.

There's Hel, Loki, Odin the Wanderer, etc, but no songs that I know of.

Of course, I'm always up for a hearty round of "Sumer is a Cumen in" to the background chorus of Edward Woodward burning to death.

Edited by The Zebu (11/28/11 05:41 PM)

#63734 - 01/15/12 07:22 PM Re: won't somebody think of the children.... [Re: The Zebu]
Tropix Offline
stranger

Loc: Minneapolis
I remember having fun as a kid in a choir sing Christmas songs. Everything we sang was nonsense anyway. "Oh sinnerman, where you gonna run to" or "Walk a little slower my friend... and take a little time a long the wayyyyy." But somehow it was fun. I don't think it was a effective or even reinforcing in the pushing of a religion on us. I think conversions took place via non-melodic communications.
#63777 - 01/16/12 01:59 PM Re: won't somebody think of the children.... [Re: Tropix]
Zach_Black Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I have seen this time and time again. The dogmatic trappings of religions and church somehow bring people together. It becomes its own event and social activity .

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.