Page 24 of 30 « First<2223242526>Last »
Topic Options
#75242 - 02/20/13 11:01 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Goliath Offline
pledge

I am continuing to plow my way through the first of Jonathan Israel's three doorstoppers about the Enlightenment. (I should be done by Tuesday.) But in my spare time I've started reading another, much shorter book on a related topic that I think would be of interest to many people here: The Atheist's Bible: The Most Dangerous Book that Never Existed, by George Minois.

The Atheist's Bible is the story of the real, historical Necronomicon. Sort of.

As we all know (or should know), the Necronomicon was originally a fictional grimoire--a terrible and forbidden book that existed only in the stories of H. P. Lovecraft. In 1977, however, someone calling himself "Simon" published an actual book purporting to be a translation of the real Necronomicon. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has this "Simon Necronomicon" in their collection somewhere.

The Atheist's Bible is about another mythical volume, De Tribus Impostoribus, which argued that the founders of all three Abrahamic religions--Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed--were impostors and frauds. From the late Middle Ages onward, people believed in the existence of this book, which nobody had ever seen, and various freethinkers were accused of being its author.

Finally, between 1688 and 1719, someone actually wrote not one but two treatises purporting to be this legendary book of philosophical blasphemy: a short Latin volume under the original title, and a longer work in French, the TraitÚ des trois imposteurs.

Minois situates the story of this legendary book (and its two real-life counterparts) in the context of the rise of unbelief in early-modern Europe. I recommend it to anyone with an interest in the subject.

#76339 - 05/14/13 11:13 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Bacchae]
Tissaia Offline
stranger

Loc: Bielsko-Biała, Poland
Currently reading:

Victor Hugo - Les MisÚrables
William Shakespeare - The Taming of the Shrew
Jack Kerouac - On the Road
Andrzej Sapkowski - Narrenturm

#76343 - 05/14/13 01:28 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Tissaia]
Le Deluge Offline

Originally Posted By: Tissaia
Currently reading:

Jack Kerouac. You may also like Dharma Bums, The Subterraneans, and Desolation Angels.

Was wondering if you had read Stanislaw Przybyszewski ? He was a polish author who wrote of Satan. It has been difficult getting a lot of his material in english. I have found some material, but I was curious if you knew more about him.

#76344 - 05/14/13 03:11 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Le Deluge]
Tissaia Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Le Deluge
Currently reading:

Jack Kerouac. You may also like Dharma Bums, The Subterraneans, and Desolation Angels.

I'm planning to, as soon as I finish On the Road. I'm not sure if all of his stuff was translated into Polish though. I'm also very much into Allen Ginsberg's stuff. Eh, me and my love for the 50s...

Was wondering if you had read Stanislaw Przybyszewski ? He was a polish author who wrote of Satan. It has been difficult getting a lot of his material in english. I have found some material, but I was curious if you knew more about him.

Yes, we are taught about Przybyszewski at school here in Poland (not necessarily about his writing on Satan, but rather about his thoughts on the modernist literature and lifestyle). He was quite an interesting person and extremely controversial in his times.

If you would like me translate something for you send me a PM. I'm not a professional, but I'll try ;\)

#76348 - 05/14/13 08:59 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Tissaia]
Le Deluge Offline

I'm planning to, as soon as I finish On the Road. I'm not sure if all of his stuff was translated into Polish though. I'm also very much into Allen Ginsberg's stuff. Eh, me and my love for the 50s...

I love the beats. I'll try to check on what has been translated into polish. I would suspect Howl! has been.

Yes, we are taught about Przybyszewski at school here in Poland (not necessarily about his writing on Satan, but rather about his thoughts on the modernist literature and lifestyle). He was quite an interesting person and extremely controversial in his times.

If you would like me translate something for you send me a PM. I'm not a professional, but I'll try ;\)

Dobry! I will probably take you up on that. He was featured in this odd book about Satanism.

#76349 - 05/14/13 09:28 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Le Deluge]
evilboy666 Offline
pledge

Loc: Texas
There is this nice book in my hand called Turn Their Skies Black How to cures your enemies. I'm also once again reading the Devil's Notebook. Both are nice
#76373 - 05/16/13 06:15 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Le Deluge]
Tissaia Offline
stranger

I love the beats. I'll try to check on what has been translated into polish. I would suspect Howl! has been.

Yes, I had a pleasure of reading Howl as well as some other poems by Ginsberg which were translated into Polish. I would also love to read Letters exchanged between Ginsberg and Kerouac and William Burroughs' Naked Lunch.

So many great books, so little time to read them all \:\(

#76374 - 05/16/13 08:58 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Tissaia]
Le Deluge Offline

Yes, I had a pleasure of reading Howl as well as some other poems by Ginsberg which were translated into Polish. I would also love to read Letters exchanged between Ginsberg and Kerouac and William Burroughs' Naked Lunch.

So many great books, so little time to read them all \:\(

This is true! Neal Cassady (Dean Moriarty in On the Road) wrote a couple books. Gary Snyder is still around. If you're ever in San Francisco, check out City Lights Bookstore . Lawrence Ferlinghetti is still alive and shows up sometimes. A Coney Island of The Mind has some great Ferlinghetti poems. I don't know if it was translated in polish. Love William S. Buroughs. Glad he has been translated. I posted a video of him singing! William S. Burroughs - The Black Ryder - Tom Waits

#76378 - 05/16/13 12:49 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Le Deluge]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If you want to gobble a good collection of Beatdom with some savvy introduction, may I recommend this.

#76380 - 05/16/13 08:08 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Le Deluge Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
If you want to gobble a good collection of Beatdom with some savvy introduction, may I recommend this.

Ah. I'll have to check that out. Tough go to beat the beats for that pleasant but fuck all ambience. The only guy I can think of that came close: Charles Bukowski. He drank too much to match their travels. Quite impressive given The Beats proclivity for such.

Kerouac was a mad staccato. One wonders if it took him longer to manifest "On The Road" or for a lad to read it.

#76435 - 05/18/13 04:38 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Le Deluge]
Cassandra Offline
pledge

Loc: Temple, Texas
I recall reading somewhere that Bukowski was/is called an 'honorary beat' writer, rather than a beat. He is one of my very favorite authors!
#76440 - 05/18/13 06:51 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Cassandra]
Le Deluge Offline

Originally Posted By: Cassandra
I recall reading somewhere that Bukowski was/is called an 'honorary beat' writer, rather than a beat. He is one of my very favorite authors!

Yeah, Bukowski wasn't a beat. He was just the closest in spirit after their heyday. I don't think he even met Kerouac or Cassady. A lot of his writings didn't come out until much later in his life.

#76454 - 05/19/13 04:22 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Le Deluge]
Tissaia Offline
stranger

This is true! Neal Cassady (Dean Moriarty in On the Road) wrote a couple books. Gary Snyder is still around. If you're ever in San Francisco, check out City Lights Bookstore . Lawrence Ferlinghetti is still alive and shows up sometimes. A Coney Island of The Mind has some great Ferlinghetti poems. I don't know if it was translated in polish. Love William S. Buroughs. Glad he has been translated. I posted a video of him singing! William S. Burroughs - The Black Ryder - Tom Waits

Thanks very much for your recommendations \:\) Too bad we don't really have any good bookstores around here, except for chain stores that sell only mainstream books like Fifty Shades of Grey and so on...

Lawrence Ferlinghetti - I swear I heard this name somewhere before.

#76455 - 05/19/13 04:27 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Le Deluge]
Tissaia Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino

Ah. I'll have to check that out. Tough go to beat the beats for that pleasant but fuck all ambience. The only guy I can think of that came close: Charles Bukowski. He drank too much to match their travels. Quite impressive given The Beats proclivity for such.

Kerouac was a mad staccato. One wonders if it took him longer to manifest "On The Road" or for a lad to read it.

Charles Bukowski, another author on my to-read list. Sometimes I'm afraid I won't live long enough to read all that I'd like to read.

But first, I'd like to read those classics of the Beat Generation. Wikipedia told me that these are Howl, On the Road and Naked Lunch, so I'd like to read these first, before I get to other, less known authors \:\)

#76471 - 05/19/13 01:36 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Tissaia]
Le Deluge Offline

I'd like to read those classics of the Beat Generation. Wikipedia told me that these are Howl, On the Road and Naked Lunch, so I'd like to read these first, before I get to other, less known authors \:\)

Those would be the best 3 to start with imo. I might add Ferlinghetti's "A Coney Island of the Mind" if it has been translated.

Page 24 of 30 « First<2223242526>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.006 seconds were spent on 29 queries. Zlib compression disabled.