Page 30 of 30 « First<2627282930
Topic Options
#105523 - 02/13/16 03:03 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Carcosa]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Loc: El Mundo
Oh! "The Richest man in Babylon" George S. Clason. It's a bit "self-helpy", but pretty rich in nuggets of wisdom - especially if you're into personal finance and accountability. It's a quick read too.

Originally Posted By: CA
A passionate yet reasoned argument for the proposition that some people simply contribute more to society than others
of course. Some light bulbs are 25 watts. some are 1,000. It's just the way things. Sure, all men are created equal - this is true (cum in pussy) but some go on to enact their potential (potency) more so than others. I would read this book that you've suggested if only to see if someone else agrees with what I've already intuited. \:\)

#105528 - 02/14/16 10:20 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Loc: CA
Do You See What I See?: Memoirs of a Blind Biker

Interesting book. Don't want to ruin it, but he had an interesting life, and went through some pretty trippy experiences.

#105535 - 02/14/16 11:13 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: antikarmatomic]
Creatura Noptii Offline

Loc: Oregon
I've been reading Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice. It goes faster than the other 'vampire' novels, quite enjoyable so far.

#105680 - 02/29/16 06:20 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Creatura Noptii]
Sargeist Offline

Loc: Chile
I finished Brave New World a couple of weeks ago and didn't like it one bit.

Why? Because this book seems to imply that totalitarism keeps its gears in motion by a select group of men and women pulling everyone's strings. The poor people don't know any better.

Bullshit, THEY are the ones who would do anything to have the "perfect society", the ones always throwing shit at individualism and speaking up against its "evils". We see them on the news fighting for "love", "understanding" and "freedom" yet they fail to understand that the only way we could achieve worldly peace would be to lobotomize every single human being so that they stop trying to kill each other. Savages are not allowed.

Society and the individual live in a constant attempt to find equilibrium, the scale may tip to one side or another from time to time but it's the only way it can go if we want to remain human. But as long as the "oppressed" and "victims" keep pushing the scale towards society, humanity will be in peril.

#105690 - 03/01/16 08:27 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Sargeist]
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
I read Brave New World years ago and I loved it. A very interesting book. I treat it like a kind of satire on our modern society ruled by consumerism. The citizens of the World state are conditioned to consume more and more, want more and more, which makes them totally dependent on the system. Does it ring the bell? Isn't happiness in our today's world defined as instant gratification of appetites? This is what we can hear in the media, this is what advertisers tell us. This is what keeps people under the control; being totally dependent on the goods supplied by the capitalistic system.

Even human beings are treated like commodities to be used and consumed. All human relationships are superficial. The doctor in the novel says that humans are things that are to be used up till they wear out. When they are no longer useful to the government, they are allowed to die. Isn't it a growing tendency in the West to leave one's elderly parents in the nursing homes, where they often die alone and nobody gives a fuck about them? Our former prime-minister said in the interview she was going to build more nursing homes so that people don't have to care for their old parents but can fulfill their "social roles" instead.

It's no better with children whose parents have less and less time to attend to them because they work for the society, for government and various corporations. Children are sent to nursery schools where they are taken care of by the state and trained to be willful slaves while their parents pursue what they call a "career", which is nothing more or less than working like a nigger for some corporation.

Apart from weakening of family bonds, there is stigmatization of abnormal behavior. Soma, doesn't it smell of Prozac and other antidepressants? If you're sad or angry, sure there is something wrong with you. You should visit a psychiatrist and take some meds that will cheer you up or at least talk to some psychologist about your problems. We live in brave new world. Have you watched Equilibrium? It was inspired by Huxley's novel.

#105718 - 03/03/16 08:12 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Czereda]
Sargeist Offline

Loc: Chile
Yeah, I got that from the book as well which makes it all more hilarious when some individuals try to spread the gospel to the ignorant masses then keep going about their daily lives consuming all kinds of meaningless shit while feeling all good and mighty for fighting against the status quo.

Edited by Sargeist (03/03/16 08:14 AM)

#113930 - 08/14/17 10:01 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Joseph Curwen Offline
stranger

Loc: Bogota, Colombia
Right now I'm reading 3 books:

1. The Prince, by N. Machiavelli.

2. Faust, by Goethe.

3. Lords of the Left Hand Path, by E. Thorsson.

King Lear, Act I Scene 2

#113931 - 08/14/17 12:01 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Joseph Curwen]
CanisMachina42 Offline
veteran member

Ok, so I've updated my reading list and have been inspired by other's choices...

1. The Map to Los Santos (GTA 5)
2. The Menu to a Thai food restaurant
3. The lyric video to the new Primus song.

#113932 - 08/14/17 12:23 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Joseph Curwen]
apocatastasis Offline
stranger

Loc: Massachusetts
 Originally Posted By: Joseph Curwen
Right now I'm reading 3 books:

2. Faust, by Goethe.

Are you planning to read Act II as well as Act I? I was pretty taken aback and amazed by the second act's philosophical depth, as well as relative plotlessness, compared to the much more famous and oft-referenced Act I.

I just finished reading Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious by Carl Jung. The only Jung piece I had read before was "Synchronicity" (which is a must-read). Some of the essays were more rewarding than others, but I found it to be an accessible first foray into Jung's work. I particularly enjoyed the essays "Phenomenology of the Spirt in Fairy Tales" and "Conscious, Unconscious, and Individuation."

#113935 - 08/14/17 12:48 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: apocatastasis]
Phoenician Offline

You must learn all the same books as everything else, because to truly understand LHP you must read what other people have said.

That's how knowledge is gained.

#113946 - 08/14/17 07:00 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Phoenician]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I would say the opposite. That's how RHP knowledge is gained. At best, you can learn something 'about' the LHP that way, but you'll never understand it.

#113956 - 08/15/17 06:58 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Sabrina27 Offline

A thousand splendid suns by Khaled hosseini. It's a very good book, although very depressing. It's about this war in Afghan and how this girl named Laila manages it. I'm not reading it right at the very moment though

#114031 - 08/18/17 09:33 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: apocatastasis]
Joseph Curwen Offline
stranger

Loc: Bogota, Colombia
Yes, I'm planning to read that. In fact, this is a re-reading, I did read it for the first time when I was in College and took a class called "The Faust Myth" in which we did read and analyzed the major Fausts: The Ur Faust, Marlowe, Goethe and Mann.

King Lear, Act I Scene 2

#119037 - 04/06/19 02:47 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Joseph Curwen]
Kayla Offline
stranger

Loc: Missouri
I've been reading Aleister Crowley: the Beast Demystified by Roger Hutchinson due to the recommendation of someone online. With only 80 pages left, the author seems to be a skeptic and wrote this with the intent to entertain but it's pretty thorough and has some enjoyable details. I wouldn't recommend the book. I also have the Three Magical Books of Solomon I will explore next.
Page 30 of 30 « First<2627282930

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.009 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.