Page 6 of 30 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#24010 - 05/02/09 06:04 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Draculesti]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
a quick side note- draculesti, i thought you might be interested in the dead russian composer quiz, just for shits and giggles. you know, since you're reading a book on shostakovich. i like the string quartet no. 8.

although i imagine you have a lot of reading for school, if you need a break, here's a link:

http://www.doppelgriff.com/russian/

#24011 - 05/02/09 06:22 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: miriam]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
i forgot to say what i am reading!

i'm reading "the obscene bird of night" by donoso, and lautréamont's "maldoror."

the donoso is pretty incredible. it's roughly about an isolated, deformed man who takes on different monstrous shapes and beings. i'm not sure why, although the book is one of the great works of magical realism, so i imagine there is a chilean symbolic context that i don't yet understand.

i'm trying to read "maldoror" in french and english simultaneously, so it's taking me a bit.

i love the decadent movement perhaps more than any other.

#24360 - 05/10/09 12:56 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: miriam]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Just finished reading a delightful book called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame Smith. And yes, it is exactly like it sounds.

Next up:

The Art of Fugue: Bach Fugues for Keyboard, 1715-1750 by Joseph Kerman

The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross.

Homo Homini Lupus

#24373 - 05/10/09 03:31 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Draculesti]
Gabby Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: West Virginia
Just finished Surfacing by Margaret Atwood and am starting up Angels and Demons.

#24929 - 05/23/09 12:02 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ceruleansteel]
ELTOURER Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I just finished ‘Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin’. It was a complete history (a brief chapter by chapter history) of their entire career; including post careers and up until the recent reunion. A truly good read, even if you are like me and already know a lot about their history and, shall we say, well documented deviant antics, that covers their history in an easy to follow, well thought out manner.

This is also a photo montage book that is packed, cover to cover, with some truly rare photographic gems. Some of the photos, I must admit, I had never seen before, which is a treat for a Zep veteran like myself.

If you are a die hard Zep fan, or just curious about the band, I highly recommend this book.

Now, on to a re-read of Paradise Lost. It’s been on my mind lately, so it’s time to dust it off and jump into one of the greatest stories ever told.

#25004 - 05/26/09 11:36 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ceruleansteel]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
I'm half-way through the Necronomicon (the collection of some of Lovecraft's short stories, not the pseudo-grimoire). Got it for just over £12, an absolute bargain considering it's normally £20 or more.
Definitely worth looking out for if you're even remotely interested in Lovecraft.

#25038 - 05/27/09 02:25 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ceruleansteel]
bodom Offline
lurker

Loc: United Kingdom
I am currently reading two books at the moment. One is entitled They Used Dark Forces by D Wheatley. My other book is The Complete Jack The Ripper by Donald Rumbelow.

#25054 - 05/27/09 07:13 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
MorbidMaxxx Offline
stranger

Loc: From New Jersey, currently in ...
well, i have a stack of books waiting on me to open such as the "the devils notebook" -lavey, and "devil worship" - isya joseph. since im new into Satanism i am still at the basic reading. just finished the Satanic Bible along with some sci-fi books like "orphanage" -robert beuttner. and also just recently finished reading essential asatru - diane saxton.
#25500 - 06/08/09 11:09 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: MorbidMaxxx]
ShadowWalker Offline
stranger

Loc: Yokosuka, Japan
I am currently reading "The Tommyknockers" by Stephen King, and I have about 18 books on order from Amazon. Here are a few of the books I am waiting on:

Might is Right - Redbeard
Beyond Good and Evil - Nietszche
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos - Lovecraft
Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx
The Prince - Machiavelli
Walden - Thoreau
Leaves of Grass - Walt Whitman
The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson - Emerson
Book of Lies - Crowley

#25508 - 06/08/09 06:29 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ShadowWalker]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Interesting Gene Wolfe’s Shadow of the torturer was a turning point in my teenage years. I bought it new I think I was 14-15? I have read three of the four books in that series and I just realized there are more. I should hit my favorite hometown used bookstore and see if she can find me the books I am missing.

Another series I started to read as a young adult was the Horseclans saga by Robert Adams. This was like a more bloodthirsty version of Conan set in a post nuclear apocalyptic world. Somewhere in my collection rests an original 1st edition “Coming of the Horseclans” with original cover art by Ken Kelly. Sadly I stopped reading this series when I hit a few that were unavailable (out of print).

I read Tommyknockers when it came out, like most King novels the endings are always a let down. I much prefer his short stories as the buildup allowed for less of a drop at the end. In school I once did a book report on Cujo, which was the last time I was allowed freedom to choose my own title in that class. Once Clive Barker hit the scene I left King on the shelf.

Just a quick note to the Sci-Fi readers out there you should read Larry Niven’s Ringworld for sheer enjoyment and Robert L Forwards Dragons Egg as a nudge to see things from a different perspective.

For those of you still following this, I am currently reading a book called Uncensored Sales Strategies XXX-Rated Secrets” by Sydney Biddle Barrows (The Mayflower Madam) with Dan Kennedy. While I do not know how much I can implement this learning into my business, I can say I have learned a lot about what drives a customer. Myself included.

Too long has it been I have not read for sheer enjoyment but only knowledge.

~T~

#25533 - 06/09/09 11:21 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Sitra_Ahra Offline
lurker

Loc: California
The Doomsday Testament by Scythe Of Death Productions

#25632 - 06/14/09 11:08 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Sitra_Ahra]
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

'Killing Pablo' By Mark Bowden (Black Hawk Down) about the hunt for druglord Pablo Escobar, 'Mauritius Command' by Patrick O Brian, The Children Of Hurin by Tolkien, and The Satanic Scriptures (for the 3rd time, it's brilliant.)
#25654 - 06/14/09 11:33 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: FromGehenna]
Azza Offline
stranger

Loc: New Zealand
i am on my third time through 'The long hard road out of hell' the Marilyn Manson autobio.
i like to read it when i am feeling down.
i am also on my way through 'Johnny the homicidal maniac' Jhonen Vasquez.

#25722 - 06/17/09 11:39 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Azza]
Xarxes Offline
stranger

re-reading The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri.

#25798 - 06/19/09 06:42 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Xarxes]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. I really like Vonnegut a lot. I'm trying to get through his whole oeuvre, or as much of it as I can get my hands on. So far I've read Player Piano, Sirens of Titan, Mother Night and the above mentioned novel.

Up next is God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

Still working on the Alex Ross and the Kerman.

Homo Homini Lupus

Page 6 of 30 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.