Page 9 of 30 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#37595 - 04/14/10 09:01 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: TheInsane]
Chandler Offline
stranger

I'm working on "The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything" by Ken Robinson. It was recommended to me by an education counselor. So far it's mostly just antecdotes about people who were succesful doing unconventional work, like artists and dancers and whatnot.
#37601 - 04/14/10 07:00 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: TheInsane]
Zophos Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
My amount of reading has been rather small due to an especially busy semester, but I've managed to keep a few embers burning.

Last summer while at a used and rare bookstore in London, I had the good fortune to stumble upon quite a large collection of books from the library either of Marie Boaz Hall or her husband, A. Rupert Hall. Among them was a copy of the exceedingly rare Mathematical Works of Isaac Barrow, printed in 1864 and edited by none other than the brilliant William Whewell. Excepting a few pages, this particular copy had never been read by another person, and thankfully was untranslated from the Latin. Although not cheap (£80, or ~$125 at the time), I would later find that the cost was an astonishing bargain in comparison to its usual running price (~$450-600). My pet project has been to go through and make sense of the book, using Before Newton: The Life and Times of Isaac Barrow (purchased at the same bookstore, no less) as a guide to contextualize the material by Barrow himself.

In other news, two mathematical works have been at the forefront lately: Paul J. Cohen's Set Theory and the Continuum Hypothesis and Anderson and Feil's A First Course in Abstract Algebra. I've also been working irregularly on Arthur Schopenhauer's masterpiece, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung, but my workload has presented a continuous distraction.

Z.

#37806 - 04/18/10 05:04 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zophos]
Mardi Gras Offline
stranger

Loc: Louisiana
I've just recently discovered books by Michael w. Ford, "Bible of the Adversary", "Luciferian Witchcraft", "Book of the Witch Moon", and several others myself while browsing through the "spooky" section of my local occult bookstore. Though I don't agree with most of his views I do find his work to be an interesting read. I found his artwork in his "Luciferian Tarot" deck to be marvelous. I went ahead and ordered his book "The First Book of Luciferian Tarot" from amazon. While waiting on it I'm re-reading "Hitler's Second Book: The Unpublished Sequel to Mein Kampf"

#37808 - 04/18/10 05:22 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Mardi Gras]
Tigeress Offline
stranger

Loc: under your bed
 Originally Posted By: Mardi Gras
I've just recently discovered books by Michael w. Ford, "Bible of the Adversary", "Luciferian Witchcraft", "Book of the Witch Moon", and several others myself while browsing through the "spooky" section of my local occult bookstore. Though I don't agree with most of his views I do find his work to be an interesting read. I found his artwork in his "Luciferian Tarot" deck to be marvelous. I went ahead and ordered his book "The First Book of Luciferian Tarot" from amazon. While waiting on it I'm re-reading "Hitler's Second Book: The Unpublished Sequel to Mein Kampf"

I am reading Michael Ford as well right now. I just finished Liber Null. I have The Bible of the Adversary and Luciferian Witchcraft.

Hitler wrote books?! Should I have known that? lol. I will have to look into them eventually out of sheer curiosity. I wonder what my poor jewish boyfriend would say....lol, thank goodness it's only his ethnicity and not his religion.

#37816 - 04/18/10 07:14 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Tigeress]
Sireal Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
Currently reading a curious little tome called "The Ghosts" by Robert G. Ingersoll FE. It can be found here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/30208

Upon finding and opening the book I landed in a place where he speaks of the Declaration of Independence and his take on Sovereignty caught my eye right away. The price was right for a FE and i grabbed it. Just getting ito it but it looks great so far.

Books on the go already:
Plato's Republic...again
The Temple of Man-R.A. Schwaller deLubicz
which I must say is a fine set and worth the price.

edit: http://englishatheist.org/zing/zingindex.shtml

a better site with all his stuff. Prolific guy! this is the first I've heard of him though.

Edited by Sireal (04/18/10 07:23 PM)

#38502 - 05/13/10 12:59 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Sireal]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
At the moment Iím re-reading Of Mice and Men by john Steinbeck.
After cleaning out my loft I came across my school copy of this book, and decided to go through it once more.

The sentiment and social observations still ring true given the economic state of Britain today, and I have to say, I greatly enjoy looking at my 16 year old self's notes on sections of the book as I read.

Itís like a trip back in time with a more naive version of myself.

#38544 - 05/14/10 01:41 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Room 101]
Doomsage680 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Currently half-way through The Virtue of Selfishness, Ayn Rand, and also in The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. Ayn Rand is really challenging and advancing some thoughts of mine, and Camus's The Stranger was the best fiction I've ever read, so I figured I have more to learn from him.

Next is either god is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens or Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche. Going to have to compare Nietzsche to Rand, when I do I'll probably make that a thread and see what people think...I know there's a huge Nietzsche fan-base here, might go bad for my gal Ayn.

#38582 - 05/15/10 04:33 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Doomsage680]
TheInsane Offline

Right now Im reading Fritjof Capras "The Hidden Connections". So far so good. Capra is a physicist and in this book he tries to work out a way for human societies to work good based on how sub-atomic physics work. My explenation is lame but I recommend the book to anyone really. The part on conciousness and mind and how wrong the descartian view on body and mind is is my favorite so far.

Im also reading Robert O. Paxtons "The Anatomy of Fascism". I havent read much yet but so far Im not all that impressed to be honest. We'll see if it picks up eventually.

Originally Posted By: Doomsage680

Next is either god is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens or Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche. Going to have to compare Nietzsche to Rand, when I do I'll probably make that a thread and see what people think...I know there's a huge Nietzsche fan-base here, might go bad for my gal Ayn.

The difference is quite huge between the two and I definately prefer Nietzsche. Thus Spoke Zarathustra is great but can be tough to ge through for beginners (I dont know which level you're at). Still anything by Nietzsche is highly recomended. When I startd out with Nietzsche in my early teens I found it helpful to start with basic introductions to his philosophy and then go to the source himself.

#38613 - 05/16/10 07:17 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: TheInsane]
Anne Offline
stranger

Loc: Denmark
Just finished off "The girl who kicked the hornet's nest" the last book in the Millenium triologi by swedish author Stieg Larsson.. The first book is called "The girl with the dragon tattoo" and the second book is called "The girl who played with the fire"

It is about a journalist named Mikael Blomkvist, who is hired to do a research job about a woman murdered in the 60's. He hires Lisbeth Salander who is a gothic, asocial girl with extreme define hacker skills.
The next book is based on Lisbeth and how she grew up with the government conspiracing on her.
The 3rd is about saving her ass.. Catching the bad guys and so on..

If you have a somewhat interest chrimis, read em.. read em nauw!

#40250 - 07/14/10 03:52 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ceruleansteel]
Dakota Offline
Banned
pledge

Loc: Michigan
I'm Okay- You're Okay
The Idiot's Guide to Investment

And some book about music

Also bought The Satanic Witch

Edited by Dakota (07/14/10 03:53 PM)

#40253 - 07/14/10 04:02 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

At the moment:
Plant physiology Dr. Miller

#40378 - 07/17/10 01:35 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
A Monster's Notes by Laurie Sheck
A work of fiction based on the premise that the Frankenstein monster was not a figment of the imagination of Mary Shelley, but was a real being that visited her at her mother's grave site when she was a little girl, and that the monster is alive in the 21st century.

On Monsters by Stephen T. Asma. This book is a work of nonfiction that explores the possibility that the irrational belief in monsters is based in evolutionary theory, with respect to self-preservation, i.e. fear is a survival impulse.

Homo Homini Lupus

#40413 - 07/18/10 01:27 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Draculesti]
Morbid Rex Offline

The Ego and its Own by Max Stirner.

I'm extremely surprised this wasn't one of the influences on Lavey's Satanic Bible. I guess it could be an indirect influence if the theory that Nietzsche was influenced by Stirner is true.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#40427 - 07/18/10 06:01 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Walt Disney's Railroad Story by Michael Broggie [again, as I re-read many cherished books periodically].

Walt Disney was a master magician, of course, and in many different ways. His fascination with railroads was one of his deeper interests, resulting in an extensive home layout, the Carolwood Pacific, and of course the elegant vintage railroad circumnavigating Disneyland. Lilith and I particularly enjoy peaceful trips in Walt's private parlor car, the "Lilly Belle", which is a welcome haven when the Park is packed.

This elegant book by the son of Walt's close RR friend and collaborator Roger Broggie (a "Disney Legend" recipient) shares this secret magical universe with the reader. You will never think of Walt, or Disneyland, the same way again.

For example, the famous statue of Walt and Mickey Mouse at the Hub actually shows Walt giving a RR hand signal known as a "highball". [One of the more bizarre rumors was that upon his death Walt was secretly bronzed as that statue. A friend commented, "Bummer for the Cast Member playing Mickey that day!"]

#40481 - 07/19/10 11:05 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Damis Offline
pledge

Loc: England
In my current reading pipeline is-

Liber Khaos by Peter J. Carroll
Liber Null and Psychonaut by Peter J. Caroll
(Although I'm not sure which to read first at this moment in time).
Empiricism and History by Stephen Davies
And finally if audiobooks count then I am currently listening through "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli.

Page 9 of 30 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.