Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#53122 - 04/18/11 10:00 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Jake999]
GregNotCraig Offline
stranger

Loc: Mesa, AZ, USA
 Originally Posted By: Jake999
 Originally Posted By: Diavolo
People may correct me but wasn't knife above all a moron?

That he raps is quite trivial to that.

D.

LOL! I was just going to post something along those lines, D. And if I recall, his "rapping" was missing a c.

Having a "myspace music" page should've been the first clue I picked up on, but I tried to listen to Knife's *cough*music*cough* anyway. I think my 9 year old nephew could do a better job - and the little metalhead hates rap.
Contrived, uninspired. I kept skipping to the next song thinking it might get better. No such luck.

#53126 - 04/19/11 05:06 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Jake999]
Lil Rag Offline
Banned
stranger

yup! agree. his Flow was complete Bullsh*t! he must change his style, he doesnt have any good future if he continue like this!

Edited by Lil Rag (04/19/11 05:09 AM)

#54495 - 05/16/11 01:13 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Hegesias]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
Good good, do you know other classical composers that create dissonant and stimulating pieces like of Alfred Schnittke?

If you want dissonance, check out the following:

Iannis Xenakis (Metastasis, Pithoprakta, etc.)
Gyorgy Ligeti
Arnold Schönberg (anything after 1920 or so; Schönberg himself did not entirely care for the term "atonal". He preferred the term "pandiatonicism")
George Crumb (Black Angels, for electric string quartet)
George Rochberg
Alban Berg
Charles Ives
Igor Stravinsky (Stravinsky went through a period of serial/atonal composition, but even his earlier works, like The Rite of Spring, are hallmarks of modern composition)
Pierre Boulez (personally, I find some of what I've heard to be unsatisfactory; his piano sonatas, especially, seem to be the aural equivalent of pointillism in visual art: short staccato gestures interspersed with silence)

This is just a handful to get you started. A bit of personal advice: don't ignore the tonal works of earlier composers, nor the early tonal works of composers who later relied more and more on unresolved dissonance and lack of tonal center in their music. Schönberg, for example, essentially the father of atonality (though the true spiritual grandfathers in that respect were Carlo Gesualdo, Franz Liszt and Richard Wagner), began his work as a tonal composer. His "Verklärte Nacht" (Transfigured Night), and string sextet, is dark, beautiful, and dissonant. Also, Dmitri Shostakovich, a personal favorite of mine, worked within a tonal framework throughout his life; however, he wrote some wonderful music, both dark and oppressive, but also lyrical and filled with terrible beauty and pathos. Shostakovich is somewhat of a special case. His earliest works, up to and including his opera "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk", are some of his most adventurous. However, because he came to musical maturity around the same time that the Soviet regime was taking hold in Russia, Shostakovich's artistic freedoms were, shall we say, denied him. That's not to say that he never wrote an honest note after that; he began to rely on satire in his music to mock the very officials who mandated his methods of composition. In addition, his most honest works from this period are probably his string quartets, especially those from the mid-1930s and onward. These were never intended for public performance, so he felt more free to express himself honestly in these works. I would recommend the String Quartet no. 8.

Homo Homini Lupus

#55346 - 06/01/11 03:49 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Lamar]
theancient Offline
stranger

Loc: North
 Originally Posted By: Lamar
Do we have any musicians amongst us? Music is my passion, it's been apart of me for my entire lifespan. I am a drummer playing currently for 18 years. Any fellow drummers with us?

Hell yeah! Black metal musician from Norway here.
Main instrument guitar,second drums.

#56713 - 07/11/11 07:41 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Oxus]
LeftHandOvGod Offline
stranger

I currently play bass. I own a BC Rich I.C.S. Vortex Signature 4-String model. I haven't been playing long, as I transitioned from guitar. But I'm doing a hell of a lot better on bass. \:\)
#56753 - 07/13/11 08:45 AM Re: Musicians [Re: LeftHandOvGod]
Managor Offline

I currently Drum. Been drumming for about 3 years, basic 5 piece kit with a cheap china cymbal. Not pro at it, but I can make some rockin ass beats.
#59546 - 09/27/11 10:25 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Managor]
Daafje666 Offline
pledge

Loc: The Netherlands
I've been playing instruments since the age of five, but the last couple of years I've been really enjoying myself playing the guitar and bass. I am the proud owner of an Ibanez RG1527 (7 string) and an Ibanez DN500 .

I like playing various styles of music such as metal, blues, rock 'n roll, etc. It just really depends on my mood.

#59547 - 09/27/11 10:43 AM Re: Musicians [Re: Daafje666]
Alex Crowley Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
I've been playing guitar for maybe two years. Unfortunately I'm not near the standard I want to be (which is obviously where a lot of practice comes in).

I just got the new addition to the guitar family yesterday - a secondhand Gibson Epiphone I picked up from a local pawn shop. Beyond that I have an ESP M-10 electric guitar and a Cort acoustic which both play nicely.

#61989 - 11/29/11 12:36 AM Re: Musicians [Re: GeorgeDeadson]
capcap Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
 Originally Posted By: GeorgeDeadson
I play drums dude! I play rockabilly!

I was going to read the whole thread first before replying, but I had to quote a fellow rockabilly drummer.

I play in a couple rockabilly bands, have a few recordings out, and also play in a couple rhythm n blues groups. I also started a 9 piece roots Jamaican band (rocksteady, early reggae, calypso).

Love drumming, just trying to practice as much as possible without bothering the neighbours.

I've been drumming for about 12 years, and I've started learning piano too. I absolutely love it. I'm writing music and singing and recording it too with my friends. It's really great having a second less serious instrument!

#65492 - 03/16/12 06:23 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Oxus]
Tapio Salmela Offline
lurker

I have played guitar almost 5 years by now.
And I also had palyed drums and bass something like 2 years.

Also playing in two bands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52S2gaaFepU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyzkPRjqXE&list=UUCsdb_V-ggea_3xbwkrGefQ&index=4&feature=plcp

#75149 - 02/10/13 05:09 PM Re: Musicians [Re: Tapio Salmela]
khaos Offline
stranger

Loc: Sweden
I started to play violin when I was 8 and has been playing bass and guitar for almost 7 years now.
I used to play in a band but we had to split up because of school and studies unfortunately.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.