Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#62012 - 11/29/11 10:43 AM Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS?
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
I remember reading in an article about the history of Satanism that the founder of Our Lady of Endor Coven Herbert Arthur Sloane was briefly a member of the Church of Satan. Is there any truth to this? Id be curious to know being as he very much came from a theistic background.
#62013 - 11/29/11 11:41 AM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: BaronVonShankly
I remember reading in an article about the history of satanism that the founder of Our Lady of Endor Coven Herbert Arthur Sloane was briefly a member of the church of satan. Is there any truth to this? Id be curious to know being as he very much came from a theistic background.

I just have the Church's membership data 1971-1975, and Sloane was not a member during that time period. Nor during my 1969-75 affiliation do I recall him being mentioned as a member, or in general otherwise. I have a vague feeling that Sloane and his OLOEC were regarded as another small-potatoes Wiccan-type group rather than as authentic Satanism. But I never had any contact with him/it.

#62015 - 11/29/11 12:10 PM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

I don't remember having any contact with Sloane during my tenure either. If anything with his name ever came across my desk, it wasn't remarkable enough to have made any kind of impression.

#62037 - 11/29/11 11:16 PM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: Jake999]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
Thank you Dr Aquino and Jake999. Out of interest how was Terry taylor and his Thee Satanic Orthodox Church of Nethilum Rite regarded by the CoS I ask because the name alone seems to have a " we're opposing the Church of Satan" goading feel to it. I dont know if it was intentional but some people i have spoken to seem to feel that the use of the word orthodox in the name was a deliberate dig at lavey.
#62040 - 11/30/11 03:10 AM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Jake999 Offline

To be very honest with you, we didn't really spend very much time with these splinter groups or care much about what they liked or didn't like about us. The 70s and 80s were hardly like today. If people had a bone to pick with you, they could only do it by telephone or snail mail, for the most part. Most of the time, you barely knew any of these groups existed.

or cared.

#62056 - 11/30/11 12:07 PM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: Jake999]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Jake999
To be very honest with you, we didn't really spend very much time with these splinter groups or care much about what they liked or didn't like about us. The 70s and 80s were hardly like today. If people had a bone to pick with you, they could only do it by telephone or snail mail, for the most part. Most of the time, you barely knew any of these groups existed. or cared.

Terry Taylor and Thee Satanic Church were a momentary blip in Chicago as I recall. No dialogue between him/it and the C/S. The C/S didn't have a Grotto in Chicago; nearest ones were Detroit and Dayton. They didn't mention TSC.

The press is always fascinated with "Satanism" and enjoyed slapping the label around very loosely. So the Process was called "Satanic", so was Manson, so was Matamoros, so were Proctor & Gamble and McDonald's. If you want to, like, do Devil worship today, you've got lots of choices, including with fries.

#62837 - 12/22/11 03:22 PM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Apollonius Offline
lurker

Sloane was in fact an early member. I received a list of Midwest members from the CoS in late 1967 or early 1968. His name was on it, and I wrote to him. He send me a packet of material on his group. When I mentioned this to Anton LaVey in a letter, he replied that the Church was very much aware of Sloane's Gnostic views.

Apollonius

#62839 - 12/22/11 04:13 PM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: Apollonius]
Jake999 Offline

Could be Apollonius... back in 1967 and 1668, the Church's paper work was less than well organized. LOL! It took me WEEKS just to go through drawers and boxes of correspondence when I took over the Admin function in the 1980s. And in researching his Ophite Cultus Sathanas (Endor Coven), I see he died in the early 80s, so any mention of him would probably have been buried deep in stacks of STUFF.

I never saw his name on the "red card" list.

#62864 - 12/23/11 06:17 PM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: Apollonius]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Apollonius
Sloane was in fact an early member. I received a list of Midwest members from the CoS in late 1967 or early 1968. His name was on it, and I wrote to him. He send me a packet of material on his group. When I mentioned this to Anton LaVey in a letter, he replied that the Church was very much aware of Sloane's Gnostic views.

Apollonius

I encountered only one Apollonius in the original Church, who also happened to be a Midwesterner who would be about your age now. If you're he, the 600C has gained a lively new participant. Care to verify your -ZZ membership number?

#71363 - 09/28/12 07:23 PM Re: Herbert Arthur Sloane In the COS? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Le Deluge Offline

Believe these 2 were confirmed:

Survivalist Kurt Saxon

Bujinkan Ninjutsu Master Dale Seago

Definite on Seago. Probable on Saxon. Interesting duo in any event.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.