Topic Options
#6228 - 03/23/08 04:44 AM Some cult reads
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I'm going to reread
The Magus
by John Fowles
I feel I was too young to enjoy it in it's fullest extent before but realize just how good it was now.
And then maybe a little one I found at the white elephant sale.

Seven Footprints to Satan by A. Merritt
It's a fiction slightly camp but sometimes old paperback is groovy.

Anyone already read these books.

Currently I'm reading World War Z

#6270 - 03/23/08 06:32 PM Re: Some cult reads [Re: Engel08]
Isaak w shipley Offline

Loc: Tenneessee
I was here before the Age of Ice. I was here in the void of dust,SelfSacrifice.Im a giver not a taker.Ive earned my rites of passage through the void again.I was watching from afar when The Christ had his moment of shame,blame,self-doubt,pain.The 9-inch nailz i drove through his shaking-hands.Can you guess who i am?
I-burn inside everybody.Burn their-love,hate,fuel to the flame.
Inside the sun,moonand stars.Have my seal.I bring you pain,but sex-appeal.I-am- beauty-but-death.The-light-the-flesh.The-First-the-last-breath.The first Rebel.Now everybody wants a piece.Wannabees.I-spew innocence out the mouth of the earth.Do you think you really know who I am?The self-pity-piss-the earth revels-in.The original symbol of beauty-but-deciect.You should never try to acsend above me.Im the neddle-IV-on your bed of misery.The stormy-wheather inside-false-prophets-of wealth and bondage.I-bleed-you-breed-you-love you-kill-you-slowly-with my-everlasting-time here.This is my domain-not for-the-weak-Do-you-fear-your-children-I-conceieve.The-meat they are feed.The dark-water-you-swim-but-drown-instead.DO-YOU-KNOW-WHO-I-AM?

"Poetry in motion-edgar-allen-poe-devotion".

#6286 - 03/24/08 12:32 AM Re: Some cult reads [Re: Isaak w shipley]
Meq Offline
Banned

Dude, what the f#ck are you on?
I see drugs are listed as one of your hobbies...

And what's up with all the dashes?
There is special software available which can correct your spelling and grammar, it might be worth looking into.

#6299 - 03/24/08 05:32 AM Re: Some cult reads [Re: Meq]
Isaak w shipley Offline

Loc: Tenneessee
Yes,my spelling im working on.I do not think i need special software to learn typing.I just have to work one day at a time.The poetry was a special for easterbunny/resurection day.
Did you not like it.I thought it was the sh##.Yes dope is not a hobby but a lifestyle.I love horror and poetry put together like the famous drug,whiskey induced poe.Hey please do not take offense.I thougt it was good poetry,some bad spelling though.Your right.The dashes symbolize how fast my mind was racing.On the dragon chasing once again.

"Hail to the poopy seed"

#6320 - 03/24/08 06:19 PM Re: Some cult reads [Re: Isaak w shipley]
Kon Offline
pledge

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Actually, I thought it was pretty insightful. Perhaps lunacy can help a tattered mind piece together bits and pieces of what shattered remnants of intelligence some of us have left. Or even think to "feel" past the things we cannot remember but so often use as bricks in the wall. Defensive Mequa? It was actually poetic justice in a way.......
Though, I doubt it was posted anywhere near where it should have been.

It definitely gained my respect in any case.

#6341 - 03/25/08 01:17 AM Re: Some cult reads [Re: Kon]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I thought it was a broken version of a Rolling Stones song.
"Pleased to meet you! Hope you guessed my name!"

I thought it was a nice...random additive...But didn't comment cause it had nothing to do with my post...Start a new thread next time.

#6405 - 03/26/08 03:41 AM Re: Some cult reads [Re: Engel08]
rubaestellae Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
I wasn't really sure exactly what is meant by a 'cult' book so I had a look around for a definition. I found this;

'A cult fiction is a distinct genre that can influence and change individuals and Western society. Cult books encompass the cultural components of "romanticism, democratic idealism, myth-dream, opportunity, and truth" and the psychological components of "idealization, alienation, ego-reinforcement, suffering, and vulnerability" and re-invent reality because the world has strayed from traditional values or is heading in the wrong direction. Reader response is crucial for cult status; readers must feel that the book speaks for them." - Thomas Reed Whissen.(http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/WCQ%252f.aspx)

So with that in mind I thought back through books that I have enjoyed through my life that really struck a chord with my psychy. I came up with a small list.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. (for that matter any of Thompsons work, he just does it for me)
Dune. (Frank Herbert, can't say much more)
The Don Juan Books. (Carlos Castaneda is a dick but the mouthpiece is not always inportant)
The Metamorphosis. (All of Kafka's work is fun, but this is a classic)
Foucault's Pendulum. (Umberto Eco is brilliantly intelligent, his work is amazing, this one is my favourite though)
The King in Yellow.(I love all of Lovecraft's work but this book by Robert Chambers creeps me the most)

That'll do for the moment :).

#6443 - 03/26/08 10:22 PM Re: Some cult reads [Re: rubaestellae]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
James Shelby Downard's
"The Carnivals of Life and Death."
Makes fear and Loathing feel like a gayboy picnic...

I'll just list key words this book deals with: Kennedy... Marylin Manson... the KKK... FDR... underground caves with Masonic Lodges and sex clubs...

Downard's a great story teller. He talks about his bizarre experiences in the truly underground world with big names in politics. Its a crazy book. Cult Classic.

Edited by LUCIFERIFIC (03/26/08 10:23 PM)

~~352~~

#6451 - 03/27/08 12:39 AM Re: Some cult reads [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
rubaestellae Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
Sounds cool, I'll check it out.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.