Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#6381 - 03/25/08 07:57 PM Re: Video Games [Re: DistroyA]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
I think you'll love em. I suggest Ocarina of time, Majora's Masks, The windwaker, and there's a few others but namely those. There quite fun all Legend Of Zelda: ... Google those names. xD Good fun. Lol.

Btw Gunz is an okay game. I forgot about it quickly but while I did play it, it was fun. I think I was level 47. I played MapleStory for a little while, I quickly found way to hack it though and then eventually got bored of it.

How about games you guys have played and hated? I personally don't like the Sims games too much. I have tryed EVERY one since my gf's mom has bought I think every single one for every console... Yikes. But yah I didn't like the mindless, repetitive playing of it. Whereas the goal was never there, just play until you don't feel like it anymore. And any goals that were made in the after games were just boring and pointless.

I liked a lot of Super Nintendo games. I remember playing those when I was young and the memories are amazing. I was never happier than when I was like 7-9 sitting there playing, Donkey Kong, Secret Of Evermore, Brain Quest, Mystic Quest, and others. I can still imagine what my face must have been like when my parents brought that thing home. I remember being incredibly happy and excited. Lol. I must have acted like it was gold.

#6382 - 03/25/08 08:11 PM Re: Video Games [Re: PigFeeder]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Yeah, I'm borrowing Ocarina off of one of my friends sooner or later. I've seen it in action, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating really.

As for games I hate? Damn, I'd rather not even think about the ones I hate to be honest. The Sims is a pet hate of mine though.

#6385 - 03/25/08 08:59 PM Re: Video Games [Re: DistroyA]
L Fern Tej Offline
pledge

Loc: Las Vegas, NV. (u.s.)
i've always hated those real-life simulation games too.
i remember my sister played the "sims: livin' large" one a while back and i swear to you, for about 3 weeks she just sat there and mindlessly attended to her sims bladder and hunger while she nearly pissed her pants and starved.
yeah, i had a hacking account for gunz before but ijji has really patched up in the past couple months. pretty hard to find a working leaked hack.
 Originally Posted By: PigFeeder
I can still imagine what my face must have been like when my parents brought that thing home. I remember being incredibly happy and excited. Lol. I must have acted like it was gold.

it might have looked something like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU\

NIIIINNNTENDOOOO!!!

#6389 - 03/25/08 11:09 PM Re: Video Games [Re: TornadoCreator]
Meq Offline
Banned

Though the genre has basically died, I enjoyed the graphic adventure series pioneered by LucasArts (formerly LucasFilm Games - yes, the same LucasFilm responsible for Star Wars).
The SCUMM games (now all playable on modern PCs thanks to ScummVM).

Allow me to give a full list in chronological order off the top of my head - from the late 80s to late 90s:
- Labyrinth (pre-SCUMM)
- Maniac Mansion
- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (The Graphic Adventure)
- Loom
- The Secret of Monkey Island
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Day of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion 2)
- Sam and Max Hit The Road
- Full Throttle
- The Dig
- The Curse of Monkey Island
- Grim Fandango (using the GrimE system, post-SCUMM)
- Escape from Monkey Island (ditto)

Hours, hours and hours of fun (and often frustration) from my childhood to today.

There were also many imitators from other software houses, such as Simon the Sorcerer (1 and 2), Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Toonstruck, etc.

I also enjoyed Normality by Gremlin (1996), which was basically a hybrid of this style of graphic adventure with a 3D, Doom-style interface.

However, this whole genre of computer gaming has basically disappeared up its own asshole.
Perhaps because these games actually requires THINKING, and not just quick reactions and an attention span of 20 seconds.
Then again, the games' lack of replayability value might have had something to do with it...

#6403 - 03/26/08 02:59 AM Re: Video Games [Re: Meq]
rubaestellae Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
I didn't get many computer games as a child but I do remember playing 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego' to death. I don't know why I loved that game but I did.

At the moment I'm considering playing 'World of Warcraft' again. I played it for a year or so and left but now some friends are returning and I'm thinking seriously about playing again. Otherwise I just jump on for a few hours on some FPS like 'Day of Defeat', 'Natural Selection', lots of Half Life mods. I've never really been a console player.

#6424 - 03/26/08 02:22 PM Re: Video Games [Re: rubaestellae]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
As they've already been mentioned I used to love the Sonic games as a kid, same with the Donkey Kong games. They felt fluid.

I was never anywhere near as fond of Mario as I was Sonic or Donkey Kong Country series (Donkey Kong Land series was good but not as smooth as the Country series).

One game series I do like, that is actually still pretty damn good is the Pokémon series on Gameboy and now DS. It's very tactical and quite engaging really.

#6426 - 03/26/08 03:01 PM Re: Video Games [Re: TornadoCreator]
Kon Offline
pledge

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Separation Anxiety (SEGA), Maximum Carnage (SEGA), X-Men Children of the atom (arcade), as for RPGs too many to list, though action/RPGs are my particular forte.

#6428 - 03/26/08 04:01 PM Re: Video Games [Re: L Fern Tej]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
"Turok" was great when you put in the cheat code and had all the weapons and immortality. If you didn't have the cheat, the game would be damn near impossible to beat.

I'm a family man so it's hard for me to hang on to my old game systems because we have so much stuff crammed into small spaces. It would've been nice because I'm getting a strong sense of nostalgia right about now.

#6429 - 03/26/08 04:04 PM Re: Video Games [Re: Kon]
TornadoCreator Offline

I find that today it's quite impossible to find a platform game, an adventure game or even a true RPG anymore.

All games now are either sports, first person shooters, mmorpg (ie. grind-fest), or action/hack 'n slash.

Some games try to incorporate some RPG elements into their action/shooters but it just ends up weakening the whole game. I find it's a pity that we're loosing catergories of games now just because of the graphics. Because games are expected to have great graphics they cost a fortune to make so games manufacturers will only make games they know will sell. Shooters, Action games and MMORPG's (which all seem to have no RPG element and just needless grind) are the games they KNOW will sell, so that's all they make.

#6468 - 03/27/08 11:44 AM Re: Video Games [Re: TornadoCreator]
Kon Offline
pledge

It is strange when you find games made 14 years ago and comparatively they have better gameplay and graphics than one released 3 years back, the validity is in the videos ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5VBMB5clOw <- Xmen COA, released 1994, later released on Saturn.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CNuKXPSuT3I <- Guilty Gear X2 released on xbox, 2005

#6477 - 03/27/08 01:31 PM Re: Video Games [Re: TornadoCreator]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
 Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator
As they've already been mentioned I used to love the Sonic games as a kid, same with the Donkey Kong games. They felt fluid.

I was never anywhere near as fond of Mario as I was Sonic or Donkey Kong Country series (Donkey Kong Land series was good but not as smooth as the Country series).

One game series I do like, that is actually still pretty damn good is the Pokémon series on Gameboy and now DS. It's very tactical and quite engaging really.

Same here concerning the Sonic games and Donkey Kong Country. I've never been a big fan of Mario to be honest, and I will say that Super Mario 64 just looks crap to me.

As for Pokemon, I'm not keen on RPGs to be honest (apart from Final Fantasy VII, but that's it really), and after the initial hype of Pokemon, I just lost interest. I admit to watching the series AND watching the first movie, but I was never interested in the games. Now I'm not very fond of the cartoon at all, and find that they're not doing much else for the game series.

Though I can't say much for the Sonic series as of late, considering the poor quality of the 3D games released. Take the one released on XBox 360 and PS3 for example. It should have been delayed further, as it's full of bugs and flaws.

#6491 - 03/27/08 05:37 PM Re: Video Games [Re: DistroyA]
Nyarlathotep2012 Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
I used to be a pokemon fiend, the game is still actually pretty fun.

I like games that are story oriented, so my favorite games are the Legacy of Kain Games, with the original Blood Omen being my all time favorite, Blood Omen 2 wasn't very good though, and seemed full of glitches.

I also really enjoy Final Fantasy 9

#6512 - 03/27/08 09:59 PM Re: Video Games [Re: Kon]
L Fern Tej Offline
pledge

Loc: Las Vegas, NV. (u.s.)
Guilty Gear XX was released in 2002 then re-re-released in 2005.
having played and passed the psp version i must say, it's a pretty advanced fighting game. it was made with old shcool graphics to get the arcade feel (and save some money along the way i'm sure) but it was still a better move then the games who attempt to put all their budget towards modern graphics and forget about the shitty plot whihc in the end becomes the end of the series' ie: tekken, mortal kombat, street fighter, etc.
the video you provided of the x-men video game on the other hand shows just how BAD the game play really was, all you have to do is learn how to chain a combo and get someone on a wall and POOF the game becomes pointless.
while i do admit the xmen was a fun game, it wasn't better than guilty gear ;\)

#6525 - 03/28/08 10:12 AM Re: Video Games [Re: L Fern Tej]
Kon Offline
pledge

Actually the post was about guilty gear 'x2' not 'xx', that video was a combo video, I chose it because wolverine had a serious string of combinations in the beginning, which all were different moves and added up to be something like close to 50 hits, the thing is, if you watch the vid all the way through you'll notice the characters being beaten so easily are not at all being used, and that's why they are so easily defeated. In the the guilty gear x2 vid, 2nd round Sol defeats his opponent in one move, no corner. Though I'm sure guilty gear would have the same flaw (in fact I know it does) lol, as with most games of this genre there are always 1 or 2 characters of whom can string cheap combos together while lacking any mercy for downtime on the opponent. Still though, from 1994 to a game released 2005, well you know.

a different xmen coa video, if your curiosity does lead you further -> http://youtube.com/watch?v=MToyA9wWVWo&feature=related

#6528 - 03/28/08 11:27 AM Re: Video Games [Re: Kon]
TornadoCreator Offline

I must admit, I'm a fan of the guilty gear series, always have been.

The Guilty Gear series has always had a one-move win for every character, however it's a 12 button combo and the character pauses and glows for about half a second before pulling it. This means you can hold back and block which is the counter for instant death moves and nothing happens.

I felt instant death moves in Guilty Gear gave it flavor.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.