Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#7118 - 04/03/08 07:06 AM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: TheMask]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
If you think about it. The human being is quite badly designed. We are not properly balanced for walking on two legs and our muscles twitch when we stand, hence why you legs hurt if you stand still for long enough. Our eyes are badly designed, as we evolved the blood vessels in the back of our eyes formed on the wrong side of the retina. If they had formed on the other side we would have such a stronger sense of sight. It's why we see red when we get angry etc.

If there is intelligent life out there, and it is as evolved as humanity then I look forward to the eventual meeting. I don't believe for one minute that humanity is the pinnacle of the evolutionary ladder, there's too many things that could be improved. I would love to see what other life could grow in the universe.

#7120 - 04/03/08 07:56 AM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: TornadoCreator]
Isaak w shipley Offline

Loc: Tenneessee
I dis- agree we are balanced good most of the time,but the mind is like a alien to me.If your legs get jumpy,it is in your mind to unlock the key to it.I think that seems to be nervous stress related to me,just my opinion.I think we all have a alien inside the mind waiting to be unlocked.

"The keys to kingdom inside"
Me......

#7121 - 04/03/08 08:32 AM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: Isaak w shipley]
TornadoCreator Offline

I'm not disputing that the human body is pretty balanced. It's the most advanced thing you'll ever own, we can barely manage to replicate a fifth of the things the human body can do using technology, however, that said, it's still not perfect. I would be interested to see what would have happened evolutionarily if the inherent flaws in our biology hadn't formed and been passed on over the evolutionary process, and I think that if intelligent alien life exists it would be interesting to see if they share any of the same biological flaws.

#7192 - 04/04/08 04:51 PM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: TheMask]
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Life is life...it doesn't matter if it's human or non-human so to speak. Consider the astronomical odds against there even being conditions for life as we know it on earth...

Now if we were to come into contact with some sentient 'thing' that existed outside the evolutionary framework then our definition of 'life' might be challenged, and so would the laws of physics...I don't see this happening. Just like the odds of life developing on earth were enormous, so the odds of discovering life elsewhere are even greater. It's a question of probability since we don't currently have any means for deep space exploration, and the fact that we haven't been contacted by extraterrestrial life at all, nevermind extraterrestrial life more complex than homo sapiens, almost is enough to speak for itself.

I know it's nice and cliche to be able to say "teh uinverse is liek sooooo huge taht there has to be other lifes out there!!!111" but probability says you're just not using your head.

Edited by ballbreaker (04/04/08 04:52 PM)

#7193 - 04/04/08 04:55 PM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: TornadoCreator]
ballbreaker Offline

Quote:
I don't believe for one minute that humanity is the pinnacle of the evolutionary ladder

You are 100% correct.

Humans are nowhere close to being "the pinnacle of the evolutionary ladder", we're blown out of the water by insects ;\)

#7198 - 04/04/08 05:38 PM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: ballbreaker]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
ANTS!

They're the most successful organism on earth, constituting an entire quarter of the earth's biomass; base on what I've read. Can you imagine what we would become and what we could achieve if we were like ants?

k

~~352~~

#7202 - 04/04/08 07:25 PM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: ballbreaker]
TornadoCreator Offline

Originally Posted By: ballbreaker
Life is life...it doesn't matter if it's human or non-human so to speak. Consider the astronomical odds against there even being conditions for life as we know it on earth...

The environment on earth is not suited for life. Life on earth is suited to the environment. It's a big difference. If life started on a planet without oxygen life would have grown to use a process other than respiration to release energy. The idea that the exact same conditions as on Earth happening to be somewhere else is incidental if life grows according to the environment it's in, adapting as it grows.

Originally Posted By: ballbreaker
Now if we were to come into contact with some sentient 'thing' that existed outside the evolutionary framework then our definition of 'life' might be challenged, and so would the laws of physics...

Please explain why the laws of physics would be challenged if we found an unexplained species or life form because that doesn't make sense. Why would the speed of light in a vacuum, the gravitational constant, the nature of endothermic/exothermic transfer of energy or other laws of physics be challenged by the existence of an unexplained life form or did you just say it because it sounded cool and grand.

#7235 - 04/05/08 04:52 AM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: TornadoCreator]
ballbreaker Offline

Quote:
The environment on earth is not suited for life. Life on earth is suited to the environment. It's a big difference. If life started on a planet without oxygen life would have grown to use a process other than respiration to release energy. The idea that the exact same conditions as on Earth happening to be somewhere else is incidental if life grows according to the environment it's in, adapting as it grows.

This is what I meant when I used the phrase "life as we know it" in a previous post. Can you provide me with any examples of 'life' in non-earth environments?

Quote:
Please explain why the laws of physics would be challenged if we found an unexplained species or life form because that doesn't make sense.

Our understanding of most scientific laws would be challenged, to say the least. Imagine we stumble across life forms that contradicted our understanding of life; 'life' forms that didn't fit into the evolutionary paradigm, for example.

Of course the statement and the idea is absurd, but this just demonstrates what I'm trying to say...if we encountered something that defied our knowledge of life then it would probably defy some of our other scientific laws as well.

#7236 - 04/05/08 04:54 AM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
ballbreaker Offline

You said it sister.

Ants are the very definition of adaptation and fitness.

#7239 - 04/05/08 10:46 AM Re: wha 'tis yo' opinion on aliens...? [Re: ballbreaker]
TornadoCreator Offline

It would perhaps change the scientific consensus on biological norm, evolutionary theory and theories of anatomy and physiology however it would have no effect whatsoever on the laws of physics.

Maybe I'm being picky, but saying something would effect the laws of physics is giving it extreme grandeur. In this instance it doesn't deserve such.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.