Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#6621 - 03/29/08 02:39 PM Stress Headaches.
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I get stress headaches that can often lead to migraines. That can be caused by severe emotional stress but also physical stress like constant flashing lights, loud noise, intense lights, overdoing exercise and some other factors.

I was wondering, does anyone here have and suggestions of how to lessen them and control stress levels. I've had a lot on my mind with financial troubles and I'm had a fair amount of physical stress training for my TA assessments. Any idea would be good.

I've tried meditation, as I do Aikido and meditate frequently, however that just seems to delay it. I've tried headache tablet and they just ease the pain a little, lower my temperature or delay the headache. The only thing that's worked so far is sleeping for about 6+ hours whenever I get these headaches which is disrupting my life.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#6629 - 03/29/08 04:28 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Sex, or getting off.

It does help to relieve stress.

I think we could all use a little more "stress relief".

Morg

#6632 - 03/29/08 04:47 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
This might sound stupid TC, but have you tried acupuncture?

Morg, sex is great stress relief, but when you orgasm it makes your head feel like its going to explode (which might not ease migarain lol).

~~352~~

#6633 - 03/29/08 04:52 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Hmm, not sure what you are doing, but usually its a great release. I dont worry about brain pressure/CO2/O2 levels unless I am choking someone unconscience.

Acupuncture might work if it redirects the nerve impulses and increases the sertonin/dopamine output.

M

#6635 - 03/29/08 04:56 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Morgan]
TornadoCreator Offline

I never considered acupuncture before, I'll look into it.

#6638 - 03/29/08 05:10 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator
I never considered acupuncture before, I'll look into it.
The reason why is because my sister actually has very bad migrains, and she doesn't like the pharmaceutical industry, and i have a close friend who is taking acupuncture classes, and she gave my sister some green tea, a neck massage, and acupunctured her ears and stuff (? i know, ears?); and mys sister says it made her feel better, and she hasn't had another migrain since then? Give it a try!

~~352~~

#6645 - 03/29/08 06:06 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
Kon Offline
pledge

Loc: Berlin, Germany
How about something hot to drink, teas without an overpowering aroma or flavor, or sometimes dehydration can cause migraines.

Though, when I said I popped an advil in the last thread I was just trying to show that we are only human and subjugating the epitome of religious words is something I don't usually even attempt (more like contempt) to be a part of, when I get migraines they come on from mental stress or dehydration, and tea is usually the cure.

#6672 - 03/29/08 08:59 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Kon]
TornadoCreator Offline

I take in a lot of fluid but it's almost exclusively carbonated soft-drinks, occasionally I drink apple juice or chocolate milkshakes but normally it's coca-cola.

#6723 - 03/30/08 07:59 AM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
Slaya Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
You could always try panadine forte, its like a really powerful asprin, but I also heard that like Kon said its just caused from dehydration, so I guess just drink plenty of water. hope all goes well for you.

by the way, Im Ashlee

#6724 - 03/30/08 08:52 AM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Slaya]
TornadoCreator Offline

Nice to meet you Ashlee, as much as appreciate the advice unfortunately I can't take strong asprin as I'm asthmatic. Thanks anyway.

#6727 - 03/30/08 09:20 AM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
I suggest applying a cold cloth to the temple? Or if it's cold where you are like here then stand outside for a bit. But yes fresh air, relaxing, breathe in and out slowly and apply a very cold cloth to the temple of the side that hurts more. Or stick your head in the freezer. Seriously, migraines and headaches can often be caused by stress and such that tightens the arteries in your head and rectricts the blood flow. Most of the time adding cold pressure or even being in cold air such as a freezer will often help relieve most of the pain and pressure. Try it out and let me know. Just remember that when you DO get migraines or the like to relax and breathe. I know it's hard but it will work added with some advil/tylenol and some cold air. The best thignt o do would be if you lived in the country and it is cold out then go out and relax for a few minutes. Anyway try what you can and tell me how it works out for you.

Hope it gets better for you. ~~ Snow ~~.

#6732 - 03/30/08 11:04 AM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator
I get stress headaches that can often lead to migraines. That can be caused by severe emotional stress but also physical stress like constant flashing lights, loud noise, intense lights, overdoing exercise and some other factors.

I was wondering, does anyone here have and suggestions of how to lessen them and control stress levels.

Stop reading my posts… \:\)

Seriously though…

First don’t let things beyond your control stress you… The best thing to remove financial stress is work… Work takes your mind off of things and it makes you money, solving or at least helping your financial situation…

Second coffee can help with headaches… I have heard it has something to do with either opening or constricting the blood vessels… But you will have to research the facts there for yourself if interested… It works for me and that is good enough…

Stop smoking cigarettes or at least try to cut down if you smoke…

If all else fails go see a neurologist, it may be more serious than you think… I had a neurologist from YALE Medical tell me that it is common for people to start having seizures around the ages of 22-24 if you are so destined…

Remember a seizure can be something as simple as a headache or a strange smell… Most are brought on by mental or physical stress…

Ta-Ta

~T~

Have a "happy happy" day…

#6734 - 03/30/08 11:35 AM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
Sinistar Offline

Some of it could be from being over-stimulated from the environment. Or it could just be nutrition (Not like I'm a vegan or anything).

Besides the fluids that you are getting, try hydrating with plain old water like Slaya said. Good luck.

#6741 - 03/30/08 12:21 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Sinistar]
Asmedious Moderator Online

Loc: New York
This might be something to share with a doctor to make sure that they are indeed stress headaches, and not something else, such as low blood pressure, ciculation problems or some other medical condition.

Hydration (drinking water) might help as some said. It's easy to get a little bit dehydrated, because often times we forget to drink. By the time we feel thirsty, we might already be dehydrated. Personally, I'm not a big fan of water, but I find that I can greatly increase my intake if I use something like "Crystal Light" to flavor it. If you do that, then there is also the consideration of the artificial sweeteners, and what ever else is in there; but for me, that doesn't matter much.

As Ta2zz said, coffee does help often (it constricts the blood vessels, which in turn increases the blood pressure a bit.
If you find that coffee does work, you might want to be aware, that there is a certain amount of caffine addiction risk. That is to say, that if you don't have your two cups or so of CAFFINATED/Regular coffee, a day, then you will get headaches, even the migrane types.

If you want to take medication for it, the best over the counter med for headaches is Extra Strength Exeggerin (sp?). You can save money by buying generic brand, or store brand of this product. Just make sure they have the same "active" ingredients as the brand name, which are Caffine, Acetaminophen (that's generic for Tylenol) and Aspirin. Aspirin might be listed might also be called something like Acecilic Acid (the spelling is really off on it, but if you see it, you'll know it).

Used by themselves, Tylenol (Acetaminophen), Motrin (Ibuprophen) and Aspirin are not very effective, often not at all. FYI: Motrin is an anti-inflamation medication and is quite effective for muscle pain. Tylenol and Aspirin is good for "Malaise" which is general discomfort, and to bring fever down.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you decide to try caffine or over the counter medications for a headache, be SURE to take them AS SOON as you feel the headache come on. If you wait until it gets full blown, then the medications will probably not help.

JUST thought of something: If the headaches are "stress headaches" then it might mean that your muscles are tense and tight, and your blood pressure is already raised, which means you might be getting the headache from increase in blood pressure (Vaso-constriction aka narrowing of the blood vessels). This might make the use of caffine contra indicated, becuase adding caffine to stress, would obviously make it worse.

As you can see, there are a lot of considerations, which is why a doctor consult to find out the cause of the headache would be beneficial.

Edited by Asmedious (03/30/08 12:41 PM)

#6744 - 03/30/08 12:29 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: PigFeeder]
Asmedious Moderator Online

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Seriously, migraines and headaches can often be caused by stress and such that tightens the arteries in your head and rectricts the blood flow. Most of the time adding cold pressure or even being in cold air such as a freezer will often help relieve most of the pain and pressure.

Well if it works, it works.
However, as far as I am aware, headaches more often are caused by the dialation (blood vessels open too much and drop blood pressure).
If one is exposed to cold, then the arteries constrict (close up more) which would increase blood pressure that might make the headache go away.

If the headache is cause by high blood pressure, or the constriction of arteries, then adding cold would make it worse. If this is the cause of the headache, then professional medical consultation would be greatly advisable to find out the main reason for it. The headache is usually a secondary side affect to something more serious then.

Cold will also increase the heart rate, because the body is attempting to circulate warm blood to all of the areas in the body, which again might help get rid of the headache.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.