Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#6747 - 03/30/08 12:46 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Asmedious]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
Hi Asmedeus. I heard cigarrets makes the vessels small too? Maybe this will work also like coffee? But if i smoke more than 5 cigarettes in a row, i get a bad headache and fell like throwing up.

~~352~~

#6749 - 03/30/08 01:07 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Hi Asmedeus. I heard cigarrets makes the vessels small too? Maybe this will work also like coffee? But if i smoke more than 5 cigarettes in a row, i get a bad headache and fell like throwing up.

It is true that cigarettes is a vaso-constrictor (makes vessels smaller). However, it also decreases oxygen levels in the body, which would be worse for a headache, because the whole point of the vessels constricting, and the pulse rate increasing, is to get more blood faster to the brain. Among other things, blood carries oxygen to the brain, and it is the oxygen level that the body is trying to increase to the brain.

That is why sex (exercise) is said to be good for headaches because it increases the blood flow to the brain, and the oxygen level.

However, this does not seem to be the case in TC's case, since he says that exercise makes it worse.
This makes me think that he might have a problem with high blood pressure, that causes his headaches. Exercise would increase the pressure more (while actually exercising). This is why the whole thing is better left to a medical doctor. There are so many things to consider.

Being a nurse, I know the basics of how things work, and have a LIMMITED knowledge of medical issues. But unlike many other nurses, I will be the first one to admit, that a little knowledge, can be more harmful then helpful.

Edited by Asmedious (03/30/08 01:15 PM)

#6751 - 03/30/08 01:26 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Asmedious]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Asmedious
 Quote:

It is true that cigarettes is a vaso-constrictor (makes vessels smaller). However, it also decreases oxygen levels in the body, which would be worse for a headache, because the whole point of the vessels constricting, and the pulse rate increasing, is to get more blood faster to the brain. Among other things, blood carries oxygen to the brain, and it is the oxygen level that the body is trying to increase to the brain.

That is why sex (exercise) is said to be good for headaches because it increases the blood flow to the brain, and the oxygen level.

However, this does not seem to be the case in TC's case, since he says that exercise makes it worse.
This makes me think that he might have a problem with high blood pressure, that causes his headaches. Exercise would increase the pressure more (while actually exercising). This is why the whole thing is better left to a medical doctor. There are so many things to consider.

Being a nurse, I know the basics of how things work, and have a LIMMITED knowledge of medical issues. But unlike many other nurses, I will be the first one to admit, that a little knowledge, can be more harmful then helpful.

Oh, I'm not in the medical field. I forgot that cigs reduces oxygen in the blood.

Well my sister got acupuncture for her migraines and bad head aches, and it has helped her dramatically. She doesn't get them so often, and when she does, they are as bad.

~~352~~

#6787 - 03/30/08 10:06 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Check your eyesight and how much time you are spending in front of the computer.

My husband was suffereing from stress headaches when he was spending alot of time in front of the computer. Turned out, his eyesight was slightly out and this coupled with the long hours doing work on the computer was the cause of the headaches.

After getting the right glasses fitted the headaches went away. Up until then he hadn't noticed a sight problem.

Zeph

#6804 - 03/31/08 02:09 AM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Asmedious]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
I'm pretty sure being exposed to the cold opens up your arteries, but I could be wrong. I know it helps though because it does allow better blood flow and can relax you as long as you are not exposed to high winds and freezing cold for an over extended period of time.

#7051 - 04/02/08 01:56 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: PigFeeder]
truthseeker2000 Offline
stranger

Loc: Upstate SC
I concur with Zeph. I had the same issue and subsequently discovered that I had a slight eye problem. I spend all day in front of a computer and since I've gotten glasses I haven't had a single migraine.

Caligula WSA
~~352~~

#7053 - 04/02/08 02:23 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: truthseeker2000]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
Ok. Now that you mention it Asmedious, I often wonder if my blood pressure is too high because at night I can physically feel the blood rushing through my temples and neck, and more recently in my arm pit and arms (most often left), shoulder blades and chest as well.

#7057 - 04/02/08 03:35 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: PigFeeder]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
I'm pretty sure being exposed to the cold opens up your arteries, but I could be wrong

Actually, I think I was the one wrong on that point. That will teach me to make posts while I'm half a sleep.

I will have to go back to the books and double check on it though.

However, it would make sense that the arteries would OPEN up from cold, because the body is attempting to move more blood to keep the body warm, and this would be achieved by OPENING the arteries, and increasing the heart rate.
This would explain why a cool compress to the head, will often ease a headache.

Well, as I tell my patients when I fuck up, "I said that I was a nurse, I never said that I was a good one." ;\)

On a side note, being only about 80-90% straight, I can admit that in a strange, gothic, perverse way, I find that new picture of "Pigfeeder" kind of sexy.

Edited by Asmedious (04/02/08 03:39 PM)

#7062 - 04/02/08 05:23 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Asmedious]
Jeseth Offline
pledge

Loc: California
 Quote:
Surprisingly, you have a migraine pressure point on each hand. It’s the fleshy part between your thumb and index finger. Using the thumb pad and index finger of your opposite hand, gradually squeeze the upper portion of this migraine pressure point, counting to 10 and breathing deeply. When you reach the deepest point, massage with tiny, circular motions, still holding the pressure. As you feel a change in the point, slowly release the pressure, counting to 10 as you do so. Repeat 10 times.

I've used the above technique for a long time, and it works well for me. It's also a nice way to initiate intimate contact with a stressed out girl who's complaining about a headache...

Anyway, I took the excerpt off of a website, since they explain the steps much better than I would. If that doesn't work, try drinking Feverfew extract. It's easy to find, and cheap. Just make sure you aren't allergic to it.

edit: Butcher's Broom is another herb that could help to prevent the onset of headaches. From my personal experience I've found that while taking the herb for aesthetic reasons (tightening the skin around my eyes), I don't suffer any stress induced headaches. Just remember to hydrate properly while taking it, or it might make you feel hung over after a week of daily dosing.

#7072 - 04/02/08 07:48 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: Asmedious]
L Fern Tej Offline
pledge

Loc: Las Vegas, NV. (u.s.)
it's a picture of Danni Filth if i'm not mistaken. Yeah, he is pretty sexy.

about TC's post, you said you drink alot of soft-drinks, is it diet coca cola or pepsi you're drinking by any chance? the reason why i ask is because i used to drink diet coke and chew alot of gum, until i started getting massive pulsating headaches and had to go to a neurosurgeon who told me it might be the aspartame intake. Sure enough, as soon as i stopped chewing gum with aspartame and drinking soda all together my headaches slowly decreased and are now completely gone.
whether it was the artificial sweetner or just a placebo effect i'm not sure, but it was affective nonetheless.

Edited by L Fern Tej (04/02/08 07:49 PM)

#7114 - 04/03/08 06:13 AM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: L Fern Tej]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I don't drink diet but I do drink a stupid amount of coca-cola.

#7261 - 04/05/08 05:52 PM Re: Stress Headaches. [Re: TornadoCreator]
Succubus666 Offline

Unfortunately I find myself in a very similar situation to you, the only difference being that headaches are something that I’ve been dealing with for years on a daily basis and at this point my entire life revolves around dealing with them. A few months ago I saw a neurologist which really ended up being a waste of time. He told me that I had tension and migraine headaches, that the pain I was experiencing was some of the most severe pain possible when it comes to headaches, and that legally he couldn’t prescribe any pain relief medication (narcotics) due to the government tightening the regulations over the past several years. So I’m still going to different doctors, I just started a new headache prevention medication a week ago, and I’m still researching different treatment options.

I did get some valid information from the neurologist that I wasn’t expecting to hear, and for anyone else out there who has been dealing with a long history of headaches this may be worth thinking about… Since my headaches started at a young age when I was actually living in an abusive home situation, and I have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, what appears to have happened is that during a crucial developmental period of life (puberty, adolescence) when a person’s brain is still developing as well as the way we respond to and cope with stimulus in the outside world, something abnormal occurred in the sense that at this time I was dealing with an unusual amount of stress and emotional trauma on a day to day basis. Essentially, my brain’s stress response was over stimulated and parts of my brain may have developed in a way that would not have otherwise happened had I been exposed to a different environment during those years.

The rest is pretty much general knowledge… Stress and a variety of other factors cause the muscles in your brain to contract, the contraction creates pain inside your head, and you wind up with a headache. For me and other people who happened to grow up in particularly harsh environments, that stress response and muscle contraction occurs far more often and makes the pain far more intense. I think science still has a long way to go in terms of understanding the anatomy of the brain and potentially discovering ways to reduce or eliminate the chronic pain that some headache sufferers have to deal with. In the meantime the best we can do is take a proactive approach to understanding our own bodies and making our health a priority rather than an afterthought.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.